LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How much can i get?: 2005 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 04:50 PM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can i get?: 2005 LS430

Hey guys, I'm new here and i own a 2005 LS430. I just turned 17 and my mom gave me her 2005 LS430 as a gift (very much appreciated), i has been collecting dust in the garage for the past 2 years. She gave it to me to either keep, or sell and use the money for another car. My dad gave me one of his apartments in his complex NYC so i could start investing (It is being rented out, also extremely appreciated). My dad drives a 2012 LS600hL and my mom drives a 2012 GS350 f sport and my sister drives a 2007 GX470. So as you can see, my family loves Lexus. My question to you guys is, how much exactly would this car be worth? And how much should i expect to sell it for? I also have about 23k in savings and im selling my computer too its worth about 2500$ (Mac Pro). The LS430 has 170k miles and no mechanical problems, only thing is that it has a big chunk of missing paint (the size of the palm out your hand). So my question is, do you guys think that with my 23k (soon to be 25.5k after i sell my computer) and my 2005 LS430 (worth about 7k-9k?) and my apartment which i will be getting 2,500$ rent each month, from that will i be able to put a down payment of 30k-35k on an 2014 is350 F Sport AWD and then finance like 10k - 12k. Thanks for any info

Oh and I plan on investing in real estate as a business, what did you guys want to when you were at my age?
Old 07-17-14, 06:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

well im not a financial investor but I can tell you forsure that investing all your money and then going into debt, all for an is350 F?

BAD MOVE!!!!!

If I was you, id drive the ls430 with a huge grin on my face for a few years and continue saving/making money.

Buy a nice set of wheels for it and enjoy your baller status at 17.

Oh and make sure to give your parents a big kiss on the cheek
Old 07-17-14, 07:07 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with 1willy1, drive the heck out of the LS430 and save your money. I know as a kid you'd rather drive an is instead of an LS but there is nothing better than no car payment and keeping all your money in the bank.

Drive the 430 and use some of your saving for investments to make you more $$. You have plenty of time to drive other cars later on.
Old 07-17-14, 07:33 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cooldude
Hey guys, I'm new here and i own a 2005 LS430. I just turned 17 and my mom gave me her 2005 LS430 as a gift (very much appreciated), i has been collecting dust in the garage for the past 2 years. She gave it to me to either keep, or sell and use the money for another car. My dad gave me one of his apartments in his complex NYC so i could start investing (It is being rented out, also extremely appreciated). My dad drives a 2012 LS600hL and my mom drives a 2012 GS350 f sport and my sister drives a 2007 GX470. So as you can see, my family loves Lexus. My question to you guys is, how much exactly would this car be worth? And how much should i expect to sell it for? I also have about 23k in savings and im selling my computer too its worth about 2500$ (Mac Pro). The LS430 has 170k miles and no mechanical problems, only thing is that it has a big chunk of missing paint (the size of the palm out your hand). So my question is, do you guys think that with my 23k (soon to be 25.5k after i sell my computer) and my 2005 LS430 (worth about 7k-9k?) and my apartment which i will be getting 2,500$ rent each month, from that will i be able to put a down payment of 30k-35k on an 2014 is350 F Sport AWD and then finance like 10k - 12k. Thanks for any info

Oh and I plan on investing in real estate as a business, what did you guys want to when you were at my age?
I love the fact that you are so appreciative of what's been given to you by your parents. I wish u the best in your Realestate venture!!!

Yea drive the ls430 and wait to buy ur Isf when when you can in cash from the profits of ur appreciating assets (real estate). It's never a good idea to finance a depreciating asset (a car) unless it has the potential to make money for u later on.
Old 07-17-14, 07:37 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well im not a financial investor but I can tell you forsure that investing all your money and then going into debt, all for an is350 F?

BAD MOVE!!!!!

If I was you, id drive the ls430 with a huge grin on my face for a few years and continue saving/making money.

Buy a nice set of wheels for it and enjoy your baller status at 17.

Oh and make sure to give your parents a big kiss on the cheek
#murica #yolo

He clearly comes from money... 10-12k finance is chump change...

Do whatever you want that make YOU happy kid. Even if it is a car payment. No point in keeping an LS that will depreciate further, if you don't "like" it.
Old 07-17-14, 08:14 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on the option package, a 2005 LS430 with 170k miles should cost between about 11-14k.

You're the only one who can answer whether or not you'd rather have the cash. But I can tell you that the LS430 is one of the most undervalued cars for in America. What that means is that they're cheap to buy and painful to sell.

You've got a good head on your shoulders and some good assets. You can probably pay for a whole year of driving the car (gas, insurance, maintance) from two month's rent on your apartment. You can't beat that deal, and you'd retain the rest of your money and the bulk of your residual income for future investments.

The IS350 F-sport isn't that much faster than a 2004-2006 LS430. I don't have the specs off the top of my head, but they're going to be within half a second on the 0-60. Again, you're the only one who can decide whether that's worth it to you... but if you read around this forum, you'll see that many of the people here are driving the LS430 by choice and many say its the best car they've ever driven. Some of the owners here have had 600 horsepower Supras, Lexus LXs, Acuras, and every notable German brand plus Volkswagen, and even some LS460s, but here we are, learning how to take car of our 2001-2006 Ls430s.

The LS430 is a very special car, and the 2004-2006s especially since they're the most mature evolution of one of Toyota's most solid designs. Toyota spent about (modern day equivalent) $6 billion dollars and 4 years on the very first LS400s, and then they spent a decade refining, redesigning it, and massaging it into the LS430. A car that was the highest rated car in consumer reports until the LS460 and Tesla Model S, in addition to sweeping every JD powers (my least favorite quality ranker, but I digress) quality award it was eligible for.

Sounds like you have a sweet ride right now. You can get rims, an intake, an exhaust, and a mechanic to give it fresh fluids, probably keep the total below $4,000. At that point, you'll only need oil changes and a timing belt to hit 300k miles.

Do you drive your friends often? The ls430 is a much better passenger car than the IS350. I also guarantee the LS430 is faster with 3 passengers than the IS350
Old 07-17-14, 08:38 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Using all your savings plus selling assets to buy a car and still ending up with a payment isn't smart. Especially when you are 17 with no real career other than paying businessman with Mom and Dad's money. I suggest you talk to your parents about what you are planning and get their advise. Thanks to your family's success, you are very lucky to be way ahead of the game financially at your age. Don't blow it.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-30-18)
Old 07-17-14, 08:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

without seeing the paint issue figure 9500 to 10 g's minus the paint issue. 170k is alot of miles for most people.
Old 07-17-14, 08:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
#murica #yolo

Do whatever you want that make YOU happy kid. Even if it is a car payment. No point in keeping an LS that will depreciate further, if you don't "like" it.
yes ,great advice ,,do whatever you want kid , don't worry about your future or the blessing your parents gave you , throw it all away !!!!

After u blow all your money on the is-F, and end up in debt , you can also quit school and get into partying full time !!!

Do WHATEVER makes u happy
Old 07-17-14, 09:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Sorry for being so blunt. If you are seriously thinking about buying a brand new 2014 IS-F at 17 years old up in the super high cost NY/NJ area you need to gain a few more years of maturity. The ownership costs, car payments, super high insurance, huge depreciation, etc on a 2014 IS-F for a 17 yo are several clicks beyond stupid.
Old 07-17-14, 09:15 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

BOB04. Some good advice. I see that many others have shined some words of wisdom. I very much agree ask your parents for advice, but the key to success is to be as least leveraged as possible and to invest to have money making money for you rather than you working for money....You have a good start with a rental NOO (non-owner occupied) 1-4 unit. Key is adding to that and then you will move into vigger investments such as multifamily and NNN credit tenant CRE properties. Nonetheless, taking on debt is never a good idea, but if you don't like the car you will end up changing it later down the line anyways. If you do make the switch definitely think about keeping the car for a long time, that is the only way you can pay yourself every month rather than the lender. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-18-14, 05:56 AM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
#murica #yolo

Haha, its not chump change, but it can be done.
Old 07-18-14, 05:59 AM
cooldude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airchomper
Depending on the option package, a 2005 LS430 with 170k miles should cost between about 11-14k.

You're the only one who can answer whether or not you'd rather have the cash. But I can tell you that the LS430 is one of the most undervalued cars for in America. What that means is that they're cheap to buy and painful to sell.

You've got a good head on your shoulders and some good assets. You can probably pay for a whole year of driving the car (gas, insurance, maintance) from two month's rent on your apartment. You can't beat that deal, and you'd retain the rest of your money and the bulk of your residual income for future investments.

The IS350 F-sport isn't that much faster than a 2004-2006 LS430. I don't have the specs off the top of my head, but they're going to be within half a second on the 0-60. Again, you're the only one who can decide whether that's worth it to you... but if you read around this forum, you'll see that many of the people here are driving the LS430 by choice and many say its the best car they've ever driven. Some of the owners here have had 600 horsepower Supras, Lexus LXs, Acuras, and every notable German brand plus Volkswagen, and even some LS460s, but here we are, learning how to take car of our 2001-2006 Ls430s.

The LS430 is a very special car, and the 2004-2006s especially since they're the most mature evolution of one of Toyota's most solid designs. Toyota spent about (modern day equivalent) $6 billion dollars and 4 years on the very first LS400s, and then they spent a decade refining, redesigning it, and massaging it into the LS430. A car that was the highest rated car in consumer reports until the LS460 and Tesla Model S, in addition to sweeping every JD powers (my least favorite quality ranker, but I digress) quality award it was eligible for.

Sounds like you have a sweet ride right now. You can get rims, an intake, an exhaust, and a mechanic to give it fresh fluids, probably keep the total below $4,000. At that point, you'll only need oil changes and a timing belt to hit 300k miles.

Do you drive your friends often? The ls430 is a much better passenger car than the IS350. I also guarantee the LS430 is faster with 3 passengers than the IS350
You had the best response here, and i before i wanted the is350, i though about keeping the ls430 and modding it a bit, its an option, put on an air suspension kit, strap on a supercharger and straight pipe, exhaust, it would be badass lol but its just really not my style, i see it as an old mans car. we'll see.
Old 07-18-14, 06:42 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

So you've finished grade 12 and you want a new ISF. Sounds about right. I agree the LS you were given and don't really want is not a great car for someone your age.

What ever you plan to do I strongly advise to check with your parents and get them to OK your decision first because if you do something that they don't like they might just take away what they have given to you and worse, STOP giving you more.

You are a lucky kid with very generous and wealthy parents. Don't ask a bunch of strangers what to do - ask your parents. And good luck with your real estate investing - it wont be hard to invest your parents money. Something tells me you won't have to do much borrowing, so it should be fairly simple.

Last edited by Stu; 07-18-14 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 08:07 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

On a sidenote , if you are interested in real estate and your family is already connected . You should consider a future as a real estate agent . Making 500k+ a year would mean you would never have to worry bout taking handouts and you could have any car you want . You only have to be 18 so you're less then a year away. If you need any more information then send me a message . As for the LS430 . You could always sell it and buy a used IS350 or something along those lines. A 15k dollar car would more then suit your needs right now

Quick Reply: How much can i get?: 2005 LS430