LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430, 1 Owner, Asking 18K

Old 07-10-14, 04:23 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Thank you. I will see what they will take Sat.

There are 7 notes about "offer 20% off to customer for customer retention" LOL

I have 3 other Lexus, and dealer never gives me coupons! I guess I don't go often enough LOL
$18k sounds high to me as well. That many brake jobs makes me suspect the dealer was taking advantage. The replaced motor mounts is weird unless the car was in an accident. The elderly woman may have been sensitive to any kind of vibration(s), real or imagined. The dealer was probably more than willing to replace parts at the drop of a hat since she had the ability to pay. Have the car raised and inspected for your own piece of mind. If it checks out, offer $16.5 Good luck!
Old 07-10-14, 04:25 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

13,500 to 14 sounds fair with low miles if tires are good and it needslittle. the only thing I would miss is the bluetooth on the next pkg up Modern Luxury

but remember the worst thing you can do for a car is not drive it and let it sit.
Old 07-10-14, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My 06 LS430 is solid as a rock. It has approx 60k miles on it currently. I replaced front and rear brake pads myself at about 35-40k miles - they did not really need it - but I had the pads, they were cheap ($50/axle), very easy swap out, and I took the opportunity to show my kid how to change brake pads. For diy pad replace with no rotor work I think its good to swap pads a little early to insure the rotors stay very smooth. The only other repair required on the LS in 4 years of driving has been a broken driver side mirror. Other than needing a new mirror, my LS has needed nothing but various fluid and filter changes per owner's manual recommendations. Everything on the still car works and looks brand new. And the motor just keeps getting smoother as it breaks in.

If possible try offer no more than avg book retail (check Edmunds car appraisal and print a copy to show seller). Even if it is in great shape and a great value you should not pay more than avg retail value for an 04 LS430. That is the problem with even the best of used cars as they age, the seller cannot get as much as the car is worth simply because of its age and published book value. So buy it at the right price and enjoy an amazing value for a few years.
Old 07-10-14, 07:55 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I remember there are servo motors under the dash that control the heater control valves. That may be the servos they are talking about
Old 07-11-14, 07:45 AM
430THUNDER
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price seems way high. Bought 2005 CL with only 53k miles this Feb. Husband died and wife sold the LS430 and kept ES350. Only needed tires in 10K miles. Bought for $17,500. One owner and garaged. Anything higher than 15k seems way to much. Good luck.
Old 07-11-14, 09:50 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. I will see what they will take Sat.

There are 7 notes about "offer 20% off to customer for customer retention" LOL

I have 3 other Lexus, and dealer never gives me coupons! I guess I don't go often enough LOL

LOL! Sounds like the gamblers who go to Vegas and get their rooms comp'd! Not good.
Old 07-11-14, 10:11 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

$18,000 is a little high for a 2004 non Nav car but not crazy. 15-16K sounds about right for a 50,000 mile car with that color combo. You can be certain, that if her price is adjusted somewhat it will be gone in a flash. Low mileage popular color LS430s don't sit around very long. My biggest concern would be that since it is a 2004 that the Trans is in order and working as it should. Good Luck.
Old 07-14-14, 11:44 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

UPDATE

Drove it over the weekend. Drove fantastic. No noises/steering issues or vibrations. DId 21 miles of test drive, including highway and city.

Ran as good as it can. Much better than my 97LS400 which I am surpirsed by.

Offered $16,500 cash in hand, using the need of timing belt etc. Son went inside to talk to his mom, as he was eager to get the car sold, cuz he doesn't want to come down everytime someone needs to take the car on the drive.

Owner comes out in wheelchair, and tells me, won't take $1 less than asking price.

So didn't purchase....
Old 07-14-14, 12:10 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

Drove it over the weekend. Drove fantastic. No noises/steering issues or vibrations. DId 21 miles of test drive, including highway and city.

Ran as good as it can. Much better than my 97LS400 which I am surpirsed by.

Offered $16,500 cash in hand, using the need of timing belt etc. Son went inside to talk to his mom, as he was eager to get the car sold, cuz he doesn't want to come down everytime someone needs to take the car on the drive.

Owner comes out in wheelchair, and tells me, won't take $1 less than asking price.

So didn't purchase....
Hope you left your contact information.. She'll realize she has not much time left to wait for someone who'll gave her that money.
Old 07-14-14, 01:30 PM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just sold near me this Saturday.

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/Vehi...-MD/2292435693

Show this to the owner. That car will sit for months, owners don't realize that KBB is for dealers to fool people into paying high prices, not actual value of the car. I'm always on the look out in my area.
Old 07-14-14, 02:14 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Timing is everything. I'm sure the owner will eventually come down on her price, but you need to be near by when she does! I'd call back and see what you can do. Mention that if they get any offers to contact you first. This is not to say they will, but your choices are limited.
Old 07-14-14, 02:24 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

For me the thing is I don't NEED the car. Just another car OCD circle of life as you can all relate to. I felt I made a fair offer.

Her son told me (he is in his 40s) that they got a few call, but since it takes so long for them to show/test drive, I was the only one that came.

He said he wants the car gone enough, but can't convince his mom other wise. Said their gardener offered them 13K for it

Only issue for me (I hate the color-not the biggest deal) and all the 04 Tranny issues I read about. Otherwise car is great. I prefer the sport package 5 spoke wheels, but I would prob change the wheels and suspension anyways.

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Hope you left your contact information.. She'll realize she has not much time left to wait for someone who'll gave her that money.
I left all my info, and told them, to please have the courtesy to let me know in case it sells.

Originally Posted by gooshster
This just sold near me this Saturday.

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/Vehi...-MD/2292435693

Show this to the owner. That car will sit for months, owners don't realize that KBB is for dealers to fool people into paying high prices, not actual value of the car. I'm always on the look out in my area.
Thanks! I think so cal (land of high mile cars), and lexus dealers don't have anything older than the 460 much. I also don't want the first years of the 430, as the headlight looks horrible to me. I want the 04+

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Timing is everything. I'm sure the owner will eventually come down on her price, but you need to be near by when she does! I'd call back and see what you can do. Mention that if they get any offers to contact you first. This is not to say they will, but your choices are limited.
Yeah I left the info. That is all I can do for now.
Old 07-14-14, 03:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I agree with your concern on the Transmission issues for early 04s. An elderly owner might not even be aware if there were any problems. You would have to check that out carefully, or just look for 05-06 LS430s.
Old 07-14-14, 03:14 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Time is the great educator of folks trying to sell cars. Wait her out - the seller just needs a few weeks time to pass before they realize that they had a reasonable offer. If fact if they do call you back then you know they did not get any better offers. If they call you back, tell them your offer now is $500 less if they want an immediate sale. They will moan but likely take it, if they have come back to you.
Old 07-14-14, 06:24 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Time is the great educator of folks trying to sell cars. Wait her out - the seller just needs a few weeks time to pass before they realize that they had a reasonable offer. If fact if they do call you back then you know they did not get any better offers. If they call you back, tell them your offer now is $500 less if they want an immediate sale. They will moan but likely take it, if they have come back to you.

I agree 100%.

They WILL call you back because no one in their right mind will offer them $18k. They have your phone number right? Offer $500 less, then split the difference at $250. She is emotionally tied to the car. When it doesn't sell the son will convince her to take your offer. Might take 3-4 weeks maybe longer.

Last edited by ceedub53; 07-14-14 at 06:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 LS430, 1 Owner, Asking 18K