LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY Bumper respray for under $50.00

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 02:39 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Couple of observations - 1. brand new paint is going to seem a little brighter than existing, in six months of exposure to elements and UV it will tone down a little. Exact matches are very difficult on older paint jobs. 2. Paint on plastic will almost always look different than paint on metal just because of differences in the substrate and how each type of surface takes and "holds" paint.

Even straight from the factory, if you look very closely at plastic painted surfaces like bumpers and also pre-painted items like the mirror housings they rarely match under close inspection.

Making slight changes for different substrates and age/condition of existing paint is where the guys that do this work all the time can make slight corrections as they lay down the paint to make for a close match to existing aged paint color.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-30-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 12:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
can you make another DIY for the front bumper?
sure ill actually do a DIY for the front bumper not just post before and after photos

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Couple of observations - 1. brand new paint is going to seem a little brighter than existing, in six months of exposure to elements and UV it will tone down a little. Exact matches are very difficult on older paint jobs. 2. Paint on plastic will almost always look different than paint on metal just because of differences in the substrate and how each type of surface takes and "holds" paint.

Even straight from the factory, if you look very closely at plastic painted surfaces like bumpers and also pre-painted items like the mirror housings they rarely match under close inspection.

Making slight changes for different substrates and age/condition of existing paint is where the guys that do this work all the time can make slight corrections as they lay down the paint to make for a close match to existing aged paint color.
good points man , ive even been to the lex dealer and they told me matching this gold is never 100%
Old 07-01-14, 12:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks Will, I'm pretty sure pearl white is just as hard if not harder to match than gold...
Old 07-01-14, 01:59 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Thanks a lot guys

Yes I used a portable HVLP mini compressor.

I have had a few during my lifetime but the one I used for this was a very cheap $99.00 special from Princess Auto.

They are like a Napa or autozone type store here in Canada.

I would suggest to anyone that has a garage or is into cars to pick up an HVLP, they have a ton of uses and come in handy more then you might think.

If you have the money buy a good one , Fuji for example makes a very high quality HVLP and well worth the extra cash.

Im also going to tackle my front bumper soon, im going to tweak the color a little to take the edge off that bright gold .

But in all honesty in person you cant tell at all, the color is super close even in the bright sunlight

Be proud of the work you did. I think it turned out fantastic for the amount of time and money spent...