Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC filter difference?

So I received my ac filter from Swell today along with the seat filters

but then I noticed this

here is the current filter on my 06 LS30 non UL

side

new filter

big difference?

the point here is that the new filter I order is by VIN # and year model. it wont fit

the old filter fits but is loose in the area where it goes so one is not thick enough and the new one is too thick.

what does your cabin filter looks like?
Old 06-12-14, 09:40 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

looks like your replacement one is the engine air filter not the cabin air filter
Old 06-12-14, 10:56 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

you r right 17801 is the air filter.

don't I feel cheated

I know I order the cabin filter doe your cabin filter sits loose so the tray is correct?
Old 06-12-14, 11:15 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

not real loose. it takes some lining up. it was a little confusing as to where to direct the air flow direction. i think there's a thread that details it a bit. i think you slightly squeeze it out and squeeze it in then re adjust the filter's pleats. most difficult thing about it is the air flow orientation. it should not be "loose" should be a good fit.
Old 06-13-14, 04:41 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Cabin filters are about 11 bucks new on eBay
Old 06-13-14, 01:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

From the picture, your existing cabin filters looks in good shape. I would just order off Amazon or eBay
Denso is OEM and is the best choice.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-13-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 08:08 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXLUIS
you r right 17801 is the air filter.

don't I feel cheated

I know I order the cabin filter doe your cabin filter sits loose so the tray is correct?
You were not cheated.

if you ordered from sewell, you can check your order receipt. It'll show the part number you ordered. Likely you just misread a page and clicked the wrong item.
But you were not cheated.

If you want your money back you can return the part to sewell and they will take it back but you will have to pay shipping. It would be the same as if you bought an item at a store, you have to bring it back and you pay for the transport both ways, they aren't going to pick it up.

Just keep the air filter until you need to replace that later. As stated above, you can pick up some cabin air filters relatively cheap. cabin air filter is not a precision part. It's probably better to replace a cheaper filter multiple times rather then buy an expensive filter.

I picked up a few of these and they work fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171237277749?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-14-14, 08:24 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

It's seems almost impossible to actually know how effective filters are so one can make comparisons. Does anyone know of actual tests that have been conducted that will provide scientific answers.

Evaluating filters by price alone seems almost riduclous. There must be a better way.
Old 06-14-14, 11:09 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think anyone has done any scientific study comparing filters. Denso makes the OEM filter and many other components for Toyota and their quality is known. The UL rear oem filter is the only one I refuse to pay for. Such a ripoff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...0+cabin+filter
Old 06-14-14, 01:11 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There are tests. but usually they are for home A/C filters with HEPA and MERV ratings. So if you are really that particular; you can buy home air filter panels and do a DIY make your own with top tier filter material that you know is rated.

If you think Toyota and Denso really is in the high end air filter business, just because it's OEM that's not true. They are not in the filter making business. They just get what's "good enough".
If you look at some of the older filters like the 2GS air filter, they are complete crap and equivalent to the lowest end air filter from home depot, yet still cost a bundle, because it's such a small niche market. (See threads on doing DIY cabin filter).
The newer filters are good enough, and if you just replace it often enough you won't notice a difference compared to buying expensive filters.

But to go to that degree of testing for a car's cabin filter is a bit ludicrous, because you are already outside, and outside air is coming in, and you're not spending hours sleeping in your car, so it doesn't matter.

If you actually suffer from allergies, and cannot take 1 breathe of outside air without breaking out, what are you doing getting in a car, you should be living in your bubble anyway.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-14-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 02:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a little more info.

http://densoautoparts.com/filters/cabin-air-filters
Old 06-14-14, 04:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would go cheap for something like a cabin air filter, but I would go with something higher quality like Denso for an engine air filter.

Every time you open your door to get in or roll down your window/sunroof, you're essentially negating any gain from an in cabin air filter. In my opinion it's more about marketing than anything, somehow cars got by fine for decades without them. Dealers also love them as they can get something like $150 for swapping them out.

I know on home AC units, most technicians recommend using the cheap "free flowing" filters in place of the expensive, hypoallergenic ones. The ones that filter out really fine particles clog very quickly and can cause issues with performance.
Old 06-14-14, 05:17 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I think we should be somewhat particular about the cabin air filter. Does everyone know that a "Change A/C Filter" warning appears on the multi-information display when the air filter becomes clogged? This must be sensed by the pressure drop across the filter to trigger the warning. This must also be linked to the new pressure drop of the filter Lexus designed for the car. All manufacturers of cars outsource most of their parts from outside suppliers. But, they clearly define the dimensions and specifications the parts are to meet.

Consequently, a non-OEM filter might not have adequate density to perform properly and might never become plugged enough to trigger the change filter warning. Just asking, has anyone ever seen this warning in their car? I haven't, but I change the cabin air filter once every year or if I sense moldy smell.

Speaking of being particular, Lexus went to the trouble of installing a UV light in the rear A/C unit in the UL, with the intent of purifying the air! Can't believe they just ignored the front cabin filter and accepted any old thing the supplier might send them.
Old 06-14-14, 05:59 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I think we should be somewhat particular about the cabin air filter. Does everyone know that a "Change A/C Filter" warning appears on the multi-information display when the air filter becomes clogged? This must be sensed by the pressure drop across the filter to trigger the warning. This must also be linked to the new pressure drop of the filter Lexus designed for the car. All manufacturers of cars outsource most of their parts from outside suppliers. But, they clearly define the dimensions and specifications the parts are to meet.

Consequently, a non-OEM filter might not have adequate density to perform properly and might never become plugged enough to trigger the change filter warning. Just asking, has anyone ever seen this warning in their car? I haven't, but I change the cabin air filter once every year or if I sense moldy smell.
You're way over thinking this.

You're afraid a non-OEM filter may not get plugged up enough to trigger a warning on the dash?

If it doesn't get plugged up, then it's not a problem. You could just remove it altogether if you wanted.

Putting an aftermarket filter in there is fine, it's not going to ruin your ac. Don't drink the dealer Kool-Aid.
Old 06-14-14, 06:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coulter
You're way over thinking this.

You're afraid a non-OEM filter may not get plugged up enough to trigger a warning on the dash?

If it doesn't get plugged up, then it's not a problem. You could just remove it altogether if you wanted.

Putting an aftermarket filter in there is fine, it's not going to ruin your ac. Don't drink the dealer Kool-Aid.
You missed the point. If it doesn't get plugged up because it is so porus that it doesn't filter anything out of the air, then it isn't doing it's job.

You sound like you would be happy is just removing your filter and running it with no filter whatsoever. This is exactly why I think it would be nice to be able to make filter selection based on data and not opinion or advertising claims.

Running your A/C without a filter likely will not ruin your A/C, but it may damage your lungs from improperly or non- filtered air.

Quick Reply: AC filter difference?