Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 04:14 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Long term storage tips?

Hi guys,
Any tips on car storage?
I will be leaving the country for almost 3 months.

I'm sure to disconnect the negative cable of the battery, I always remember to do that.

But one important thing I'm worried about are my new Michelin tires, I just had them installed 6 months ago. What is the best way to keep them in good shape till I come back?
I don't want the tires to be forming what you'd call "flat" or "dead" spots.

Thanks,
Omar
Old 05-30-14, 07:25 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could put the car on jack stands and suspend the wheels.
Old 05-30-14, 07:33 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Full tank of 93 with fuel stabilizer, disconnect battery and put on tender, open box of baking soda to absorb any smells or moisture and carpet squares under the tires like the vette guys do lol
Old 05-30-14, 09:16 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You could put the car on jack stands and suspend the wheels.
Putting the car up on jacks is what I grew up in the 60's being told was the right thing to do for storing cars to avoid damage to the tires. In recent years I read that it may actually not be good for the suspension components to have the car up on jack stands. I don't know what the right answer actually is at this point but suggest you research the long term car storage topic a little more to get the best approach for the LS. Some of the vintage restoration shops may have more expert opinions and experience on this specific topic.
Old 05-31-14, 09:26 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Putting the car up on jacks is what I grew up in the 60's being told was the right thing to do for storing cars to avoid damage to the tires. In recent years I read that it may actually not be good for the suspension components to have the car up on jack stands. I don't know what the right answer actually is at this point but suggest you research the long term car storage topic a little more to get the best approach for the LS. Some of the vintage restoration shops may have more expert opinions and experience on this specific topic.
I have stored a lot of classic cars for extended periods of time. For your car, I would just inflate the tires to 55-60PSI... Do NOT drive the car until you deflate them back down to Lexus's recommended tire pressure. The tires can take this pressure very easily if not driven at speed. 3 months you will not have any issues.
Old 05-31-14, 11:11 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

def put the car on jack stands so the tires wont get rotted. also dont keep a full tank of gas in there..maybe under 1/4 so when u come back u can fill it up with a fresh tank and itll mix in with the old gas.
Old 05-31-14, 11:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

also use a battery tender.
Old 05-31-14, 11:22 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Battery tenders do well for the battery but on mine, I noticed that it gassed around the terminals eating away the clamps and connectors to the charger. I picked up some spare battery lugs made of lead and those did better for long term storage. I left the hood slightly up to allow more air circulation.

For fuel, I didn't have issues at 2-5 months provided the fuel cap has a good seal. These days with ethanol I don't know what to advise. LiCelsior's is logical advise. May consider having a trusted neighbor or local family member come by to start the car up and drive it around the block.
Old 05-31-14, 11:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Battery tenders do well for the battery but on mine, I noticed that it gassed around the terminals eating away the clamps and connectors to the charger. I picked up some spare battery lugs made of lead and those did better for long term storage. I left the hood slightly up to allow more air circulation.

For fuel, I didn't have issues at 2-5 months provided the fuel cap has a good seal. These days with ethanol I don't know what to advise. LiCelsior's is logical advise. May consider having a trusted neighbor or local family member come by to start the car up and drive it around the block.

I had a show '69 Corvette for many years and used a battery tender for the 6 month car show/cruise night off winter season.Battery was behind front seat.
Also changed the oil,full tank of gas w/stabilizer,45+ lbs of air in tires.Stored in attached heated to 55-60 degree garage over the winter.
Never had any problems.
Outdoor storage requires more things.

Short trips and/or warm ups aren't very good for a vehicle..

My GS sits a lot so I use a battery tender.It's connected now.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-31-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 01:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I've heard putting some carpet squares under the tires helps keep away flatspots.
Old 05-31-14, 02:33 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread reinforces why I don't believe in buying extremely low mileage cars. I prefer cars with highway miles that have been well cared for instead.
Old 05-31-14, 09:07 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

3 months is not that long really, I left mine in storage for about 10 months. My wife didn't take the battery negative off like I said to and it started right up. This was also through a brutal winter. I was deployed to Afghanistan and was like damn, when I get back it was going to be ruined, but it was fine. I have a UL and the air messed up, everything else was good.
Old 05-31-14, 09:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

May be the battery and the dissimilar metals for the contacts when attached. The Battery Tender Jr has gone through handfuls of leads in the 23 years of storage. I gave up on keeping the battery charged because the car now needs other work since it has been sitting this long. Carb rebuild and other hoses have gone south.

Agree, the short trips aren't good. In those three months the movement will allow the tires to circulate some. For family that goes back to Japan, we'd take the car out for ~10-15 mile drives then park it for the next 3-4 weeks.

Thinking of this discussion, a buddy sent this some time back:

I was talking to a friend down here who has an uncle with a
new E class (thinks it's an E) Mercedes.

Battery went dead, and had to be flat-bedded to the dealer.
Turns out to try and meet CAFE rules, there's a clutch in
the alternator that doesn't engage unless the car has been
driven at least 6 miles. As he took a lot of short trips in
his home town, the battery never charged and the idiot light
never came on until it was dead.

Took the dealer a couple of days to find it because they
hadn't seen a car with short duty cycles. They changed the
setting to engage the charging immediately, and not wait the
6 miles (the EPA treadmill test is 10 miles long.)
Old 06-01-14, 05:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
May be the battery and the dissimilar metals for the contacts when attached. The Battery Tender Jr has gone through handfuls of leads in the 23 years of storage. I gave up on keeping the battery charged because the car now needs other work since it has been sitting this long. Carb rebuild and other hoses have gone south.

Agree, the short trips aren't good. In those three months the movement will allow the tires to circulate some. For family that goes back to Japan, we'd take the car out for ~10-15 mile drives then park it for the next 3-4 weeks.

Thinking of this discussion, a buddy sent this some time back:
I don't know about the Junior model but I've used a Battery Tender Plus for 20 years without a problem.I just bought a new Battery Tender Plus because the one I had was old and the new model has a inline fuse..
Old 06-01-14, 10:53 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't know about the Junior model but I've used a Battery Tender Plus for 20 years without a problem.I just bought a new Battery Tender Plus because the one I had was old and the new model has a inline fuse..
Battery Tenders work great and I have been using them for years... If the car is not driven weekly, I would use a battery tender.

Quick Reply: Long term storage tips?