LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

If you were selling your LS, what would you do differently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 09:40 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question If you were selling your LS, what would you do differently?

Hey all, I've been convinced that starting with the LS430 and trying to create a more engaging driving experience with suspension, etc. is an uphill battle I'm not prepared to climb. I love my wife's GS even though I don't quite fit, and my turbo Miata is almost done being rebuilt, so the LS has to go. It's black on black with the desirable CL package. I feel like I'm asking a very reasonable price, and yet I'm getting little to no action on it, and I can't figure out why?

It's in the classifieds and on Craigslist, with all of the key maintenance items just addressed. What would you be doing differently?

I appreciate any advice you can offer!
Old 05-20-14, 10:41 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the 90k service you emphasize happened almost 60k miles ago. in some minds, that's a long time ago.

from personal experience, i bought a 2005 UL flint mica on black UL with PCS (122k miles) for 10,500 in January. it was originally going for 15k then 12k before an inspection. i had to invest at least 1.5k for air struts and new tires. - so mine was around 13-13.5k with an UL PCS package and 20k less miles.

perhaps lowering the pricing slightly. also there may not be a large amount of interest from your region for an LS. i know RWD cars are not ideal for driving in winter climates. in SoCal there's a lot of LS's to choose from. you may have better luck selling it in TX.

maybe note when the transmission fluid was changed as well. tell of the tire age and tread depth and brand and quality of the tires. most buyer realize that its 800-1100 for a set of new tires.

perhaps a shot of the underbody to show the lack of rust.

also you noted "I'll get some photos soon - the photo above is not my car, but it looks completely identical, aside from the fact that mine has nicely tinted windows"

is this still applicable.

if so i'd load up actual real photos of your car, even if they aren't as nice looking as the current ones.
Old 05-20-14, 10:43 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by writes123
the 90k service you emphasize happened almost 60k miles ago. in some minds, that's a long time ago.
Well there's my first problem. I guess it's not clear that I did another 90k service at 145k miles (5k ago), so it wasn't a long time ago at all.

also you noted "I'll get some photos soon - the photo above is not my car, but it looks completely identical, aside from the fact that mine has nicely tinted windows"

is this still applicable.

if so i'd load up actual real photos of your car, even if they aren't as nice looking as the current ones.
Ah shoot, that's old copy. The new photos are of the actual car. Thanks for pointing that out and for the suggestions! I should get underbody shots!
Old 05-21-14, 04:37 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Autotrader, cars.com or other. Add looks real nice you can tell it is a **** owner.
Old 05-21-14, 06:13 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

When I see pics of cars without plates... I always think dealer.. and most don't want to buy from a dealer.
Questions I usually ask are how long have you owned the car and does everything work.
Seems like you've covered most of that...
Selling a vehicle is about timing... when the right person sees it, it will sell.
If you want to sell quickly, then lower your price...otherwise be patient and the buyer will eventually find it.
Old 05-21-14, 07:08 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would delete the first two sentences, drop the 90K service line but leave the maintenance items listed below that were done. Second thought, you may want to shorten the ad way down. Never get to personal... Price seems OK but make sure it says OBO. Sometimes to much added info is a bad thing.

Last edited by XJSFan; 05-21-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 11:07 AM
greg s
Driver

If your car had lower miles, I'd be all over it. I am specifically looking for a black or saddle interior CL but trying to stay under 100k.
Old 05-21-14, 12:04 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a fair asking price and if I was in the market for an LS, I'd be all over it. It looks like it's been really well cared for by a meticulous owner. I'd also mention you have detailed maintenance records of the car's history (if you do)

I'd also echo the concern of making sure it's known that it's a private party sale, there's a few photos where it looks like it's in front of a dealership. I'm also one that doesn't like buying from the types of car lots that sell high mileage luxury cars, at least around here, you're talking about really sleazeball types of establishments that are really tailored for people with credit problems that are more interested in selling a high interest loan than anything.
Old 05-21-14, 02:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Your car is nice but keep in mind its a V8 luxury car in the higher mileage bracket, the average consumer is worried about the gas and repairs , so you are working from a disadvantage.

Personally, and im sorry just being honest, I wouldn't even buy a car with mileage that high unless it was for a complete steal.

You have two options, wait for the right buyer to come along, or drop your price.
Old 05-21-14, 02:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I suggest you make sure it is SUPER clean and freshly detailed and waxed. Then take lots of high quality pictures (at least 9-12 min) showing the gleaming paint and spotless like new interior. Used car buyers are looking for really clean cream puff cars. Some used cars, like a high miles LS430 might have only a very tiny pool of potential buyers....in some cases only 1 person - so it is critical to sell it on the spot to first person that looks at it. To help insure that happens make your car stand out - meticulously detail inside and outside of the car so that it stands out as easily the best example available. That's your best shot and it cost nothing but some labor.
Old 05-21-14, 02:49 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think you are reaching to small an audience Craigslist and CL?. Have you listed it on Autotrader or one of the larger car sites? I would ditch the picture with aftermarket wheels.
Old 05-21-14, 04:17 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Thank you all for the advice! I've emphasized private party on craigslist and the forums now, and just posted it as a private party on Autotrader. It's on cars.com too.
Old 05-21-14, 04:19 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm one of the many clicks no posts on ur add. originally i thought it was a lil high at first asking price and didn't have the best pics. Also was thinking 90k service once at 90k not recently again. New pics and new price puts it in a better position. plus it looks better with the stocks.

for me i want something with less miles just because i drive 16-20k per year. lately i've been all over the place though LS430 04-06, 06-07 A8, 545i, M45.

Don't move your current price just hold tight.
Old 05-21-14, 04:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not in a rush, keep the price and hold it. Fishing is sometimes about letting the fish come to you.
Old 05-22-14, 07:19 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
If you're not in a rush, keep the price and hold it. Fishing is sometimes about letting the fish come to you.
Great point... know what a great product you have and let it sell itself.

Quick Reply: If you were selling your LS, what would you do differently?