LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Window Tint and heat rejection

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 06:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I'm getting my tinting this Saturday. Which is a better film, 3M or Suntek? I'm not going the ceramic route.
Are you getting the cheapest? Why not get ceramic for just a little more? The cheapest stuff usually has fading and problems starting after 1-2 years. It's not worth it. Both of their cheap lines are the same, really. At least get ceramic. Shop around if you are getting quoted to high.
Old 05-28-14, 07:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Are you getting the cheapest? Why not get ceramic for just a little more? The cheapest stuff usually has fading and problems starting after 1-2 years. It's not worth it. Both of their cheap lines are the same, really. At least get ceramic. Shop around if you are getting quoted to high.
Is 3M Stable their cheapest? and then Ceramic?
Old 05-28-14, 07:00 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Talked to an installer that will actually do Huper Optiks for a little less than 3M Crystalline. Does that sound right?
Old 05-28-14, 08:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I believe I am getting a choice of either 3M color stable CS35 or 3M ceramic CM40 for the same price of $269 for 4 windows and rear windshield. My problem is night vision and although the 35 might look darker from the outside, the ceramic 40 blocks out more heat and is probably better for night vision. There's my choice. Form or function. There is no point for the car looking good if I can't see clearly at night. The ceramic 40 is still better than the factory glass in the looks dept. I was told that the ceramic has more of a shiny look to it. Is that true?
Old 05-29-14, 04:31 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe I am getting a choice of either 3M color stable CS35 or 3M ceramic CM40 for the same price of $269 for 4 windows and rear windshield. My problem is night vision and although the 35 might look darker from the outside, the ceramic 40 blocks out more heat and is probably better for night vision. There's my choice. Form or function. There is no point for the car looking good if I can't see clearly at night. The ceramic 40 is still better than the factory glass in the looks dept. I was told that the ceramic has more of a shiny look to it. Is that true?
If you're in Boca, we can meet up and I can show you my LS with ceramic 35 in the front, 18 in the back, and 70 on the windshield. I don't think you'll see much difference between 40 and 35.
Old 05-29-14, 06:25 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lsdude
If you're in Boca, we can meet up and I can show you my LS with ceramic 35 in the front, 18 in the back, and 70 on the windshield. I don't think you'll see much difference between 40 and 35.
I don't believe 3M has Ceramic in 35. They have 30,40 and 50. Which manufacturer did you use for your Ceramic 35? Are you sure it's not 3M Color Stable 35?
Old 05-29-14, 06:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe 3M has Ceramic in 35. They have 30,40 and 50. Which manufacturer did you use for your Ceramic 35? Are you sure it's not 3M Color Stable 35?
3M generally makes good products. I think that is your best choice Boca. I would do 40% on the sides and rear and then do 50% on the windshield. The difference between 35 and 40 is minimal and probably a little better for you. Get the Ceramic though. It has better performance and longevity.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint and heat rejection-20130914_185432_richtone-hdr-.jpg  
Old 05-29-14, 07:49 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. They have helped greatly in my decision making. I'm leaning towards the 3M Ceramic CS40. It's known for it's clarity from looking inside out (which is important to me) and the shade difference is not dramatic from the 3M color stable CS35. I'm hoping the night vision will improve as well. I have a very small sample to judge by, but it seems to have somewhat of a sheen from the outside which it is known for. The heat gain reduction is 43% compared to 27% for the the CS35 which seems significant. I'll stop by the installer tomorrow to make my final decision before the Saturday install.
Old 05-29-14, 09:47 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

I'm getting my tinting this Saturday. Which is a better film, 3M or Suntek? I'm not going the ceramic route.
I would go with 3M. I'm not familiar with Suntek but I know 3M is good stuff.
Old 05-29-14, 01:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would go with 3M. I'm not familiar with Suntek but I know 3M is good stuff.
3M Ceramic CM40 it will be. I stopped by the shop today to confirm. The description on one of the sites describes the appearance from the outside as being very sleek and moderately shiny. I can't tell from the small piece The installer said it does have some reflective properties which is why it has higher heat rejection than the 3M color stable films. I'm curious of how it will look with the semi reflective shiny appearance or if it is really that noticeable. I did forget to ask about radio and phone interference but I assume that is not an issue with ceramic tints.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 05-29-14 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 03:13 PM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ceramic installed on all windows a couple of weeks ago. Sides & back were 25% (I should have went darker), and windshield is 85% (clear). So far, interior has yet to get much higher than ~90 degrees, but then again it hasn't gotten too hot yet where I'm at. I do have a few small "footballs" on back glass, but nervous of taking it back in fear potential to damage defroster & antenna when removing...

btw, new to forum, been lurking for some time now; '05 ML Sport, Flint Mica. Info has been great, and plan to tackle bad passenger door lock actuator soon with parts that have been ordered.
Old 05-29-14, 05:39 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would recommend Huper Optik ceramic tint. It's expensive but it rejects heat extremely well.
I found an installer to do Huper Optik 50 on the sides and back glass and 70 on the windshield for $500. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 05-29-14, 07:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Does anyone complain much about seeing the headlights of the car behind you at night glaring across the rear defroster elements?
Old 06-01-14, 10:37 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

UPDATE: I had the tint install yesterday and overall I'm very pleased. I got the 3M Ceramic 40 (CM4). My only complaint is the tint does not lie perfectly flat across the back rear defroster lines. I know these lines are thicker than other cars and there has been some discussion of the night refraction off of these lines from car's headlights from behind. I was told by the installer to keep the defroster on for the first day and have the car facing the sunlight to help in the curing process. Will the film contract as it completely cures or is this as good as it will get? I was told by the installer if it remains the same to bring it back within a week and he will work on it to get flatter. The good thing is that being a 40% film, it is not as noticeable as with the darker films. I have not driven at night yet to see the extent of the refraction. The bottom 3 lines are almost perfect but the installer said he was using a heat gun to get it that way. He didn't want to use it on the entire back film. Do other members have a similar issue with the rear tint lying perfectly flat? Am I being too particular?

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-01-14 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 06:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

No, the rear will not be totally perfect around the defrost.

Quick Reply: Window Tint and heat rejection