Adaptive Transmission System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 06:56 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Adaptive Transmission System?

Hello guys,
So I've been helping a friend who has a 2004 BMW E65 (730). Which used to be mine back in the day.

We have been discussing the way his transmission works. He says the shifts in gear are acting up and that it might be that the transmission is going wrong.
My dad and I have had this car for a long time and we took real good care of it, and so I highly doubted that.
I suggested that he should check the transmission sensors, and maybe clean MAF and THROTTLE, and if that doesn't work he should check coils and transmission fluid.

After doing a little bit of research I found something really interesting.
The BMW transmission comes with a mind or a brain of it's own that learns the way the driver commutes with the car, thus being able to provide the smoothest gear change possible.

It is called the ATS(Adaptive Transmission System). And there is a way to reset it by placing your foot on the gas pedal for 30 seconds, while they key is in the ON position.
After that, the transmission will return to it's original stock status and starts to learn and adapt to it's new driver.

Still haven't gotten feedback from my friend though.

I found this piece of information to be very interesting, and a point goes to the Germans for implying such a great idea.

Do you guys think our LS's might have a similar piece of technology?
Old 05-17-14, 10:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The LS's have similar learning patterns for the driver. Resetting calls for disconnecting the battery for 30+ seconds or pulling the main ECU fuse. This defaults the learned patterns to the factory programming.
Old 05-18-14, 03:00 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
The LS's have similar learning patterns for the driver. Resetting calls for disconnecting the battery for 30+ seconds or pulling the main ECU fuse. This defaults the learned patterns to the factory programming.
Where exactly can I find the ECU fuse?

Is it on of those big ones? Under the hood?
Old 05-18-14, 06:28 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably easier to just unplug battery for a minute than pulling ecu fuses but if you look in your manual it will list which fuse for ecu and its location.
Old 05-18-14, 07:30 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your friend is probably just experiencing the start of the German car blues. Might just be its starting to break down. 10 years is long time for a BMW.
Old 05-18-14, 09:30 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 to AlexusAnja. BMW is just a heap of metal at 10yrs.

As to 'adaptive transmission' it's a widespread urban legend.
Yes, sure, shift patterns will adapt to the driving style, but that's not main 'adaptive' thing.

Mainly, transmission must learn how to make shifts short and efficient. This is done by applying different line pressures (via SLN solenoid on lexus i think) in different transmission states. So it adapts for WEAR of moving parts - clutches etc. E.g. there's a shift from 2-to-3 requested by ECM, computer applies, say, X psi pressure to the main fluid line in tranny, then measures how fast and how harsh that shift was. If it was harsh - next time applied pressure for this operation (2-3 upshift) will be, say, (X)-5 psi. If it was too soft/slow - (X)+5 psi.
So, after about week of driving the computer have this table, where all 'adapt' values are stored for this particular tranny.
When you disconnect batt (and i NEVER do that! but i see americans LOVE to do that for some peculiar reason) - you lose all that data. So it starts from scratch again. It can do further harm to worn tranny.
Old 05-21-14, 07:41 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this would be a ZF 6HP19 or 6HP26.

Did you & your Dad change the fluid & filter? BMW says not to & this is dead wrong.

New owner should do a TCM re flash. 2nd move would be Pan/Filter Fluid Change.

Even less fun but may save on a tranny replacement would be step 3 which is to replace all the Solenoids in the Valve Body if problems persist after steps 1&2.