LS430 Body Roll Is Annoying

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 09:28 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Body Roll Is Annoying

Greetings all,

Is there anyway to reduce the body roll of the LS? I have 18" wheels and sometimes it seems a little squirrly going around bends and twists of roads even just turning corners. When I drive my 1987 Mercedes 420 SEL it handles much better.

Is there anything within reasonable costs that can be done. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-16-14, 10:13 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Its a big car. LOL. Do the LS's have large rear sway bars?
Old 05-16-14, 10:16 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Get the thicker, rear "Sport" sway bar from a Lexus dealer like Sewell (or other online option).

It's around $120, takes less than an hour to install. It makes a big difference and has almost zero ride penalty. Best bang for your buck.

It's how all the LS's should have come from the factory. Way too much body roll for a modern car.
Old 05-16-14, 10:18 AM
Prochamber
Driver

I'll take a look into it. Thanks.
Old 05-16-14, 12:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Wheels matter alot too the skinny factory wheels dont offer much support

A wide staggered set will help tremendously after putting on my 9.5 x 11's it pretty much solved all body roll
Old 05-18-14, 12:56 PM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Prochamber
Greetings all,

Is there anyway to reduce the body roll of the LS? I have 18" wheels and sometimes it seems a little squirrly going around bends and twists of roads even just turning corners. When I drive my 1987 Mercedes 420 SEL it handles much better.

Is there anything within reasonable costs that can be done. Please advise. Thanks.
Sway bars have always been and excellent choice for getting the most bang for your buck.
See if you could get a stiffer set of bushings. Good luck
Old 05-19-14, 01:54 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish the aftermarket offered a good replacement front and rear kit that was super thick with poly bushing kit. The handling and body roll leave much to be desired in these cars. I have the factory 18s and still experience it a good bit. I can't imagine how bad it is on the smaller stock wheels.

For those that did the factory sport sway bar was it actually worthwhile?
Old 05-19-14, 11:49 AM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, anyone happen to know the part number for the "sport" sway bar for a 04-06 LS?
Thank you and I'll continue searching.
Old 05-19-14, 01:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's a link for it:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...881250130.html

Part number is 4881250130

Originally Posted by bmore430
Wish the aftermarket offered a good replacement front and rear kit that was super thick with poly bushing kit. The handling and body roll leave much to be desired in these cars. I have the factory 18s and still experience it a good bit. I can't imagine how bad it is on the smaller stock wheels.

For those that did the factory sport sway bar was it actually worthwhile?
I definitely think it was money well spent. It's not going to turn you LS into a sports car, it's just a nice upgrade with basically zero downside.

I wanted a car with a soft ride, this allows you to keep that, but it just feels tighter when turning. I actually think it's less "luxurious" to have so much body roll, so for me it makes for a more comfortable ride for both you and the passengers.

In contrast, something like firmer struts/springs are going to have a steep ride penalty and cost a lot more money.
Old 05-19-14, 01:23 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Thanks. I will definitely investigate further.
Old 05-19-14, 02:17 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
Here's a link for it:
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...881250130.html

Part number is 4881250130

I definitely think it was money well spent. It's not going to turn you LS into a sports car, it's just a nice upgrade with basically zero downside.

I wanted a car with a soft ride, this allows you to keep that, but it just feels tighter when turning. I actually think it's less "luxurious" to have so much body roll, so for me it makes for a more comfortable ride for both you and the passengers.

In contrast, something like firmer struts/springs are going to have a steep ride penalty and cost a lot more money.
That seems like a great price. I have added rear stabilizer bars before and they really do seem to level things out...
Old 05-20-14, 01:58 AM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

Thank you BradTank, I will definitely check this out. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-16, 09:08 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Sorry to rehash this thread, BUT? Anyone that has replaced the rear bar with the sport one, do you still like it? When ordering the rear sport bushings, does the order come with two or do you have to order a pair?

Have any of you installed front sport bushings? Did it make any difference? Thanks guys.
Old 04-03-16, 06:51 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

I am actually thinking about just replacing my front and rear sway bar bushings with new ones. Any recommendations?
Old 04-03-16, 07:36 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Compare Sport to Regular Susp 2004 LS

I have the sport suspension and had a regular suspension on my first LS. The sport suspension I prefer in every facet to regular suspension. Tires are as important for crisper handling and steering. Ultra high performance all seasons I run with no regrets over touring all seasons. Pilot A/s3 plus is a sweet tire in this category with a 45 k warrantee. There are others in this class. I run snows in winter XIce 3 H rated are sweet many sipes. Get v rated tires if possible or the Michelins even come Z rated W rated. Others prefer the touring tires for smooth quiet ride. Great for them I just this LS is now fun to drive with no compromise IMO, just MO. Not wanting to start a firestorm others feel the LS will never handle well I say come drive my LS. Hope this helps. I think with the sport shocks and rear sway others have said there is no front sway option you have a Euro if you have 18 inch tires.

Quick Reply: LS430 Body Roll Is Annoying