LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

U/L Air Suspension - Fail @ what Miles ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 01:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It's a non issue for me. The fact of the matter is, you don't see UL owners saying they regret their purchase. How they wish they listened to this person or that in the forums. I think this is a very important fact that is not realized.

I thought about collecting the springs, shocks, and mounts over time and when I started having issues to convert the suspension. That way I would not be caught by surprise if I needed to fix something. Personally, I really enjoy the ride type for highway cruising and the ability to hit a button for sport mode. Also, you can raise the suspension about 1.5 inches if needed. I like it. This is why I did a little searching over a couple of weeks and located a used set of air socks with only 50k on them. Guy was asking $800 and I got them for $450 and all in great condition (sitting in a closet now for nearly a year). If I have an issue I can just swap one out. Again, many options for individuals to choose from. So, in reality, it's actually going to cost me about the same or even less then having to replace a conventional shock suspension.

Bmore, I would not exactly say local. I drove over a 1000 miles to get this beauty.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-05-14 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 03:58 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

You don't see a lot of regret for any model of the LS430, so that really isn't a good measure of an individual package.

But you do see a lot of people that are concerned about the reliability of the air suspension and purposely avoiding the package. And many UL owners are swapping out the air, effectively making the car a non-UL. While not an outright admission of regret, it definitely says something, considering that the air suspension is one of the main features of the package.
Old 05-05-14, 04:14 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

One of the problems with posting of opinions is that we don't know how relevant they are. For real meaning, you would want to know what percentage of UL owners have had the problem and consider it as a real problem.

How many ULs are there out there on the road? 100, 1000, 5000, 10000? 100 negative posting out of, say 5000 UL's, is a mere 2%. That is hardly significant. And the data should be based on actual occurance, not on hearsay.

One should always be careful when basing a decision on comments made by people. It needs to be based on facts, and that is difficult in a forum where people are volunteering to participate. This is a difficult issue to prove one way or the other.

Just saying.
Old 05-05-14, 10:10 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great discussion! Bottom line to me (as I'm the OP) is that when bags go out, if I still own the car,
cost to cure is in very same range as cost to replace a set of struts. I can live with that.

I traced this cars history at Lexus owners site, garage queen to a T.
Owners drove it a total of 6,900 miles from early 2004 to early 2013, or somewhere around 700 miles/year.
A negative is that they only changed oil once a year, every April.
At one point, the Dealer gave them a complimentary battery float charger, you can guess why.
Next question is how well it was treated, for the most recent 10k miles, and, if that's good,
what the dealer that has it, is willing to sell it for. <Shrug>

COULTER SAID: “Regardless, just don't pay stupid money for an LS with ultra low miles. I don't think it buys you much but a lot of depreciation.”
I hate to pay retail; Edmunds says retail for Clean car with these miles is around $16k, Pvt Party $14k and Wholesale $12.5k
That's one nice spread between Retail & Wholesale
A Stupid price would be over $16k ........
Old 05-05-14, 10:21 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yearly oil changes for a 700 mile/year car is nothing in my mind.

I'd pay 16k for a low mileage UL pretty readily. I thought I missed out on a good deal when an 04 UL with 68k miles went for 16.8k last year. I bought an 05 UL with 122k for 10.5k and invested at least another 1.5k in parts/labor (air struts - front) and apparently I was getting a good deal.

With such low mileage, the transmission is perfect for a new owner to keep it in top notch shape with regular service.
Old 05-05-14, 11:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that people should not be scared of the air suspension. There are a ton of options included in the UL package and fixing the air suspension, if there is a problem, is much less expensive then the average consumer realizes. Paying full (rip off) dealer retail is easily avoidable. Converting is about $1400 for everything if you source the parts yourself, which is quite easy. Used air struts can be had for pretty good deals too. We all know air-shocks fail, as do regular shocks. The good news is that I have yet to hear of an air-shock failing immediately. They always start leaking slowly and give you a decent amount of time to figure out what option you prefer.

As far as price goes, I paid full retail from a Lexus dealership but I also got a very well taken care of car with almost every service performed and fantastic trade in value. With dealers, they tend to give a little ($8000 for my 99 LS400 trade in) and take a little, which is understandable. I paid $18.5 for my single owner 04 UL (very unique interior / exterior color combo) with 104K but it had almost every service imaginable done to it plus 18 pages of service history. Including, TB / WP, brake, coolant, and PS flushed, new brakes, door speakers, Michelin tires, trunk struts, ECUi updates, a little control arm work, Nav CD, arm rest lever, and a few other things here and there.

Service history is the absolute most important aspect to look at. Sounds like you have a winner Riick.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-05-14 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 12:31 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

My advice to the OP is to talk to your local Lexus dealer's service guy. Tell them that you are purchasing from a 3rd party and you want to know what to expect. Most will give you the rundown on the issues they see with models and packages.
Old 05-06-14, 04:05 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Riick
Great discussion! Bottom line to me (as I'm the OP) is that when bags go out, if I still own the car,
cost to cure is in very same range as cost to replace a set of struts. I can live with that.
Well it's still a lot MORE money.

4 new struts on an LS range from $70 a piece for aftermarket to around $200 a strut if you go Lexus OEM.

But 4 new Lexus air struts are going to cost just under $5,000.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/5603.html

So if you go into a Lexus dealer, and ask them to replace 4 air struts, out the door, you're probably looking at a $6,000 bill. Depending on what you paid, that starts approaching half the value of the car.

If you're talking about ripping out the air system and going with a non-UL setup, that can save money, but it's still going to be a lot more than just replacing struts.

And as you've seen, there's lots of people that love their Ultra LS, but the air struts do go out, it's not an "Urban Legend". Just be prepared.

What are they asking for the car?
Old 05-06-14, 06:14 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Too late, they sold the car. Must not have been ment to be mine.
Lets see if we get a new member soon, with a very low mile U/L. <shrug>
Old 05-06-14, 06:19 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Riick
Too late, they sold the car. Must not have been ment to be mine.
Lets see if we get a new member soon, with a very low mile U/L. <shrug>

What were they asking for the car?
Old 05-07-14, 08:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coulter
Well it's still a lot MORE money.

4 new struts on an LS range from $70 a piece for aftermarket to around $200 a strut if you go Lexus OEM.

But 4 new Lexus air struts are going to cost just under $5,000.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/5603.html

So if you go into a Lexus dealer, and ask them to replace 4 air struts, out the door, you're probably looking at a $6,000 bill. Depending on what you paid, that starts approaching half the value of the car.

If you're talking about ripping out the air system and going with a non-UL setup, that can save money, but it's still going to be a lot more than just replacing struts.

And as you've seen, there's lots of people that love their Ultra LS, but the air struts do go out, it's not an "Urban Legend". Just be prepared.

What are they asking for the car?
You don't rip out anything on a UL to convert it. Please search. There is tons of information about the best setup. The cost of replacing a standard suspension with either KYB GR2's or KYB made OEM is about $90 - $160 per shock. All the other brands are pretty much junk. It is smart to do mounts and you need an alignment of course. Usually about $800 - $1000 if you get the parts yourself and pay for labor only.

The additional parts to convert is 4 coils, 4 mounts mentioned above, 4 boots, and a little bit of hardware. About $400 extra depending on what you want. $1400 - $1800 is what it cost to convert the UL.

Nobody in their right mind pays the crazy non discounted dealer prices you mentioned. Too many other options to choose from.

Better prices:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...OCK%20ABSORBER

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-07-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:12 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I agree that people should not be scared of the air suspension.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It's a non issue for me.

This is why I did a little searching over a couple of weeks and located a used set of air socks with only 50k on them. Guy was asking $800 and I got them for $450 and all in great condition (sitting in a closet now for nearly a year). If I have an issue I can just swap one out. )
I find this contradiction hilarious. Actions speak louder than words.

Clearly, you're scared about the air ride system going out, or you wouldn't go to the trouble of searching out a used air strut system and have it waiting in the wings. And clearly, the air struts are ridiculously expensive or you wouldn't pay good money for used ones. So if you want to own a UL, better stat searching for a used system and have it ready because it's going to happen any time.

I love the answers UL owners give, "The air ride system is super awesome, and when it goes out, I plan to rip it out and convert it because it's too expensive"

So why even fool with the UL models to begin with? That's the main feature, the air suspension.

Why not just sidestep the whole headache and find an LS without the air suspension if the plan is to convert it anyway?
Old 05-07-14, 09:27 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Okay, I'll say it. I bought the UL because I wanted the very best Lesus they made. Proud of that decision and have no regrets or fears that the future may hold. When it breaks (any feature), I'll fix it. Now you've heard it!
Old 05-07-14, 09:38 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Okay, I'll say it. I bought the UL because I wanted the very best Lesus they made. Proud of that decision and have no regrets or fears that the future may hold. When it breaks (any feature), I'll fix it. Now you've heard it!
Exactly Jay. Because the features are great. An absolute pleasure every time I get in the car and every passenger is quite pleased. I don't mind letting certain friends drive while I relax in the back sitting on some cool.

Coulter,

Yeah, as I mentioned I purchased the used suspension because I was concerned by all the naysayers almost a year ago. Now the parts have been sitting in my closet for nearly a year... There is no contraction. People don't buy the UL for the air suspension only. Who knows when one will fail but I am happy $450 solved any concern about getting stuck last min. I also learned they don't fail last min. Takes a couple of months. Look, nobody is saying air-shocks don't fail. We all know they do but the idea you are stuck paying over 4 grand in parts is obviously incorrect. Whatever, I'm tired of beating a dead horse. Buy what makes you happy. I could not be happier. Well, maybe I could but it might take a new 460 or something...

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-07-14 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:40 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18k

was this car a silver one located in baltimore. if so they got it at manheim 2 or 3 weeks ago, they paid 16200, i was interested in it but someone had put on the aftermarket woodgrain kit and chrome trim

Last edited by gooshster; 05-07-14 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: U/L Air Suspension - Fail @ what Miles ?