Opinions needed on a possible purchase 02 w/60k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-14, 03:08 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed on a possible purchase 02 w/60k miles

Hey everyone.

A local 02 just popped up. 95k km (~60k miles), one owner. Beige/beige. No idea on options, but it has no Nav. Asking is 13k CAD, but I figure I can get him down to 10, maybe 11.

Timing belt hasn't been done. Sparingly driven, all other maintenance up to date. What should I be looking for? I'm probably going to take it to the local Lexus dealer and have them do a PPI for me. Would it be wise on these cars?

No accidents, and according to him no rust. Comes with 2 sets of tires.

Only pic:

Thoughts? I'd be paying another $1000 or so to ship it back with me to Vancouver (currently living in Winnipeg for another month). Or drive it, heh!

Last edited by MrCi; 04-26-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 03:24 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i would take it to an independent lexus/toyota mechanic to see what they think or Lexus dealership though it might cost more. TB ought to be done based on age.

it looks like it has headlight washers so it's interesting that there's no NAV on the car. i was previously going to buy an 01 UL with 88k for $10-10.5k USD in Dec/Jan 2014.

i would google search the CL forums for pre-purchase advice. a good independent mechanic that works on lexuses would be your best bet to find out any potential serious issues. i've found some dealership inspections from toyota or lexus on my LS ...lacking. even my mechanic's inspection is only for serious items, preventative maintenance items are really up to the owner to ensure that they're done. transmission fluid is always good to look at, easy since this one has a dipstick.
Old 04-26-14, 03:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

looks good , low mileage , but 13k is high for the no nav , no timing belt and that color.

I actually like this color its the same as mine, but it seems to be the least popular of them all so you can use that as leverage.

Also those wheels are the worst ones offered, this is probably a base model LS, which is good actually as less things to break down .
Old 04-26-14, 04:05 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check power mirrors and tilt/telescopic wheel functions as these are common to get finicky at this age.

That's weird it has headlamp washers but no navigation. Never seen that in the United states. Must be a Canadian thing.

The color combo is one of the less desirable if you aren't a senior citizen lol. That should help the price. The gold ones seem to be on market the longest.

I think the no nav is a good thing these days as they are very dated and costly to replace. I personally chose no navigation for these reasons and you can add your own without interfering with climate controls and such.

Because of its age I'd probably have Timing belt service and water pump done.
Old 04-26-14, 09:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Suggest you get a professional inspection to completely check out the car. Also get it up on a lift and use a good strong shop light and see if it has had any paint or repair work, and find out how much rust there is underneath - rusted fasteners, exhaust, sensors, etc can be expensive to repair. 2002 car you are way better off if it does not have the long ago obsolete dvd based NAV.
Old 04-27-14, 07:44 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
looks good , low mileage , but 13k is high for the no nav , no timing belt and that color.

I actually like this color its the same as mine, but it seems to be the least popular of them all so you can use that as leverage.

Also those wheels are the worst ones offered, this is probably a base model LS, which is good actually as less things to break down .
Going to look at it this week. It has the headlamp washers and park assist. Looking like a 'base' Canadian model.
Old 05-03-14, 02:32 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Just an update, mostly because I hate seeing these threads without a closing post

Went to look at the car today, and definitely not worth the asking. Had a few claims against it, including replacing front bumper, passenger fender and headlight; also had a cracked rear bumper and lots of scuffs. Noisy serpentine belt in addition to needing tb and wp; clearly the maintenance was deferred.

Also had rust spots in a few places, plus a dent on the roof. I guess I'll have to keep looking
Old 05-03-14, 03:47 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you expand your search and look for ones in Cali or Texas? they're cheaper down here and most likely dont have rust issues. theres alot of bm from these areas, im sure we could help you out if you spot one you fancy.

im in the los angeles area. btw i just purchased a clean 04 LS blk/blk, 90k, nav, ml for $12k private party just last august.
Old 05-03-14, 05:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

ive been seeing a lot of good deals on ls's recently, keep looking man youll find one

right now money talks , and if you find the right motivated seller you can get yourself a great deal.

I picked mine up with 68k for $7800