LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Other than scheduled maintenance, what preventative maintenance do you perform?

Old 04-18-14, 07:39 PM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, yeah I agree that water pump should be replaced at time of TB but I just purchased the vehicle and the previous owner did everything on the 90k service except the WP. Got lucky he did that much but wish he would have just done the WP as well. Also, when I purchased the vehicle, the steering wheel tilts fine but the telescopic function does not work. Would oiling it perhaps bring it back to life? I also had this problem with my ls400 but never tried any DIY fixes.
Old 04-21-14, 05:21 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

My car has 120K miles on it. I just had the 120K scheduled maintenance done (spark plugs, brake fluid, oil, air filter, etc.) plus the following extras:

coolant flush
transmission fluid change
fuel/air induction service + PCV valve replacement
rear diff fluid change
drive belt replacement

The invoice shows 8.9 h of labor.
Old 07-14-14, 10:11 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Lexo
Thanks, yeah I agree that water pump should be replaced at time of TB but I just purchased the vehicle and the previous owner did everything on the 90k service except the WP. Got lucky he did that much but wish he would have just done the WP as well. Also, when I purchased the vehicle, the steering wheel tilts fine but the telescopic function does not work. Would oiling it perhaps bring it back to life? I also had this problem with my ls400 but never tried any DIY fixes.
It is possible that the previous owner had the dealer turn the telescoping function of the steering wheel OFF. If so, the only way to get it functional again would be to have the dealer turn it back on. They do this with diagnostic equipment. I'm probably going to have mine turned off as i don't want the motor wearing out on something I don't particularly need. Curious as to how much the dealer charges for this 5 minute piece of labor.
Old 07-14-14, 11:02 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ceedub53
It is possible that the previous owner had the dealer turn the telescoping function of the steering wheel OFF. If so, the only way to get it functional again would be to have the dealer turn it back on. They do this with diagnostic equipment. I'm probably going to have mine turned off as i don't want the motor wearing out on something I don't particularly need. Curious as to how much the dealer charges for this 5 minute piece of labor.
refer to the techstream lite threads. costs $30 to turn it off yourself.
Old 07-15-14, 05:31 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think cbest settings only control the automatic positioning of the wheel that occurs when car is started and turned off that allows easier egress. I don't think the cbest settings can be set so they disable wheel movement using the manual controls.
Old 07-15-14, 08:07 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Correct. All the manual controls would normally still work with the auto setting turned off.

You can also clean the throttle body and MAF sensor.
Old 07-15-14, 11:49 AM
big lar
Driver School Candidate

Default Other Preventive Maint

Stuff I've done in the past, on my LX, as mentioned above power steering fluid, brake fluid, if not done already...brake fluid absorbs water over time (rusts brake pistons, cylinders, could boil under harsh usage conditions). I've replaced caps...oil (for leaks), gas (for emissions stuff - both CEL and actual HC emissions), rad (for possibly degraded performance over time for the good "breathing" of the system).

Some of the terminology used on IH8MUD is to "baseline" the vehicle. Of course, as with many things, people can go overboard for "peace of mind." I do things that have either harsh operating conditions (ATF, birf joints, 12 year old brake fluid, etc)...you won't catch me pulling rear bearings just to say they're done...overkill.

Good luck, and happy motoring!
Old 07-15-14, 10:24 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by writes123
refer to the techstream lite threads. costs $30 to turn it off yourself.
Wow, I checked it out! Using the special Toyota cable and the Techstream software (loaded on a Windows laptop) it is possible to turn off the telescoping steering wheel? That Techstream software looks awesome, might need a manual though to help me figure it all out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-16-14, 11:24 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ceedub53
Wow, I checked it out! Using the special Toyota cable and the Techstream software (loaded on a Windows laptop) it is possible to turn off the telescoping steering wheel? That Techstream software looks awesome, might need a manual though to help me figure it all out. Thanks for the tip!
The software is really simple. Gives you a description of each setting. It's the ideal way of diagnosing any engine or abs trouble. Even looks for potential problems like failing sensors. You can also program smart keys. Much better tool then the standard code reader.
Old 07-17-14, 05:29 AM
fencera
Rookie

Originally Posted by writes123
Clean MAF Sensor
Clean Throttle Body Assembly
Replace Thermostat with Gasket - some dealers don't include this with the 90k service
Replace Power Steering Fluid
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Drive Belt
Replace Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter/Front seat air filters
Drain and fill Rear Differential
Check Lower Control Arm Bushings to see if cracked - usually need to be replaced around this time.
Drain and Fill ATF - "super easy" for your '02
Check Hood Struts
Check trunk struts
Check to see if coolant was flushed out or completely drained vs. just replaced what was lost with 90k water pump service.
Check alignment
Check tires for wear etc. - makes a huge difference if they're not "good"
Check windshield for cracks etc.
Check Door /Weather Stripping
Replace Wipers

Make sure you have a wheel lock key if equipped.
Always good to have more than 1 key.

BTW, I recently purchased an 05 UL with 123k and did all these things + some.
This is a great list. I would add:
-clean/lube the rear height sensor (rear driver's side)
-clean/lube the front height sensor (front driver's side -- think these are both headlight related, may have more if air suspension)
-clean the smog sensor (under hood, just behind grill)
-lube the folding mirrors
-if the steering telescope isn't perfectly smooth, take it apart and replace the $5 bushing before it kills the telescope motor
-lube all door seals/sunroof seals with rubber conditioner

Really is hard to believe that power steering fluid doesn't seem to be on any sort of scheduled maintenance list!
Old 07-21-14, 06:54 AM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

What MAF cleaner do yall use? I know CRC is popular but it says not use it on Lexus cars.
Old 07-21-14, 06:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

CRC is what I used. That warning is misleading. It should not be used on Lexus vehicles with a airflow light sensor. The LS430 does not have this.
Old 07-23-14, 12:37 PM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, how often do you clean the MAF and throttle body?
Old 07-23-14, 02:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Maf every 15k. Throttle body every 60k. That's just my personal schedule.
Old 07-23-14, 03:09 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I clean the MAF and TB - basically every 6 months when I do an oil change since I drive less than 10k miles per year - very likely way overkill but cleaning MAF and TB is easy and takes just a few minutes. I do it while I'm waiting for old oil to finish draining/dripping. My engine runs as smooth as silk - hard to tell it is even running.