LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 engine locked up 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 09:05 AM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430 engine locked up 2002

Hoping someone can help me with this I have a 2002 lexus Ls430 with approximately 170,000 miles on it ,one owner It has been serviced regularly since it was new the car has ran perfect never a noise in the engine well the low oil pressure light came but oil levels were good and car sounded great so I figured it was a sensor and I would drive it until I could get it into the dealership the next week since it is about an hour away from where I live , the other day when I pulled Into my driveway after I had came almost to a stop rpms down the engine died , motor didn't make a noise before dying either no rattling no knocking it was just as smooth sounding as it ever was but after it locked up it will not turn over will not do anything ? Checked the oil there doesn't seem to be any noticeable metal shavings in it or anything and so I'm just wondering is there anything in that engine that would cause it to lock up like that when oil pump is having problems other than the motor seizing up ? Just is strange for no engine noise or anything before it locked up like that for it to be engine seizing although that's most likely the only thing it could be ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-02-14, 10:46 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check to see if you are still getting fuel and spark? Timing belt snap?

Any low oil lights mentioned have usually turned out to be sensors and haven't ever seen a post about failed oil pump and 170k isn't that high for these cars.
Old 04-02-14, 12:30 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect timing belt maybe.
Old 04-02-14, 02:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

May be unrelated. Are you still getting power to the instrument panel, lights, etc? A dead alternator and battery will just die. Depending how strong the battery is, it can run the car fora short bit. In alternator failure, you'll get the battery, brake and CEL lighting up.

Check battery voltage and any codes that it may have stored.
Old 04-02-14, 05:12 PM
rwhartso
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hummmm, by locked-up, do you mean it won't turn over, but all else electrical seems OK? You can hear the starter kicking in & not turning over?
This one will be interesting.
I concur, electrical problem or time belt.
RW
Old 04-02-14, 05:33 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Won't turn over at all,even hooked up jumper cables to make sure getting enough juice but won't turn over at all
Old 04-02-14, 05:41 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Did you check all fuses including fuselinks?
Old 04-03-14, 06:37 AM
rwhartso
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brody2473
Won't turn over at all,even hooked up jumper cables to make sure getting enough juice but won't turn over at all
OK, but can you hear the starter solenoid engaging (kicking in) and then the starter just can't turn over the engine????
I'm thinking not and you have an electrical problem, not a locked engine....
RW
Old 04-03-14, 07:03 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm guessing electrical too... even if belt is broken.. starter would still engage and turn something over, right? Just does not seem right that the engine would just lock up without some type of mechanical noise , complaint.

And when you checked the oil the level was fine?
Old 04-06-14, 07:26 AM
rwhartso
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brody2473
Wellll??????????
Did you fall off the face of the Earth???
Ya can't leave us hangin...
We gotz ta know...
We will hunt you down.....
RW
Old 04-07-14, 07:11 AM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Lol sorry to leave you hangin like that I have been out of town and haven't been able to recheck all the fuses and electrical that was suggested as soon as I make it back in town I will check everything and repost an update, thank you guys very much for the posts and and suggestions hopefully get it figured out !
Old 04-07-14, 08:56 AM
rwhartso
Rookie

Hi Brody:
Thanks fot checking in.
Dying to know what you find here. Especially interested in hearing if the starter solenoid engages (kicks in) and then the starter just can't turn over the engine??
Good Luck!! RW
Old 04-08-14, 07:04 AM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rwhartso
Hi Brody:
Thanks fot checking in.
Dying to know what you find here. Especially interested in hearing if the starter solenoid engages (kicks in) and then the starter just can't turn over the engine??
Good Luck!! RW
Ok update time Lol,,, yes just put a brand new battery on it just in case ,, but when I turn it over you actually can feel the starter engage but just won't turn it ? And it's not a little tick like you would feel when a solenoid is a bad it's a more substantial mechanical click from a moving part ? Wondering since there is an external oil pump on this car
( I think anyways ?)is there a gear or something that could keep motor from turning over if the oil pump went out ?
Old 04-08-14, 07:25 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd watch how many times you keep cranking on it if it is a failure in the motor. I'd check timing belt and hardware first before touching oil pump.
Old 04-08-14, 08:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Oil pump won't cause it to not start... but could cause it to seize up... which would be really bad. Have not seen this in a Lexus.
I also assume the fuel pump is working properly and filling up with pressure when you turn the key to the on position. Just ruling out electrical issues.
Almost sounds like time to open it up and see what's going on... any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Ls430 engine locked up 2002