LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 engine locked up 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 09:26 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would first start with doing a resistance test on the starter motor. I'm not sure what the spec is, but if the windings in the motor have failed, you should get higher resistance. A bad fuel pump wouldn't cause the motor to not turn, it just wouldn't fire. If it's not the starter or some other electrical issue, I would be looking at finding a junkyard motor or something, I personally wouldn't pay to have someone take this motor apart, too expensive and risky in my opinion. Car-part.com has good motors for about $2500-$3000

Last edited by RushNatU; 04-08-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 09:55 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did you try turning over the motor manually. just to verify that it is or is not locked up?
Old 04-08-14, 05:11 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you located Brody? Fellow Texan
Old 04-08-14, 07:24 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
Where are you located Brody? Fellow Texan
Longview ( east texas )
Old 04-08-14, 07:40 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
did you try turning over the motor manually. just to verify that it is or is not locked up?
Not yet but yes I think trying to turn it will be what I do .. So now all I need is someone to tell me how I should do it and what I should and shouldnt do when attempting this Haha,, but when when I'm able to I know it will answer the biggest questions about the car, it will definitely let me know whether or not my motor is seized
Old 04-08-14, 08:07 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
Oil pump won't cause it to not start... but could cause it to seize up... which would be really bad. Have not seen this in a Lexus.
I also assume the fuel pump is working properly and filling up with pressure when you turn the key to the on position. Just ruling out electrical issues.
Almost sounds like time to open it up and see what's going on... any other suggestions?
If the engine would have made some kind of noise or something before it died Then diagnosing what happened to the car would have been easy enough (new motor!) I mean since the oil pressure light came on and the engine won't turn over , but it didn't and also the oil looks good too and doesn't give an indication of something seizing up due to oil pump failure? idk ? Originally I was thinking that maybe oil pressure just happened to completely drop when pulling into the driveway just at the moment the engine wasn't under a big load and rpms where low and if under those conditions if a crank bearing seized while the engine had relatively the least amount of force could that be the answer to why it locked up without the normal obvious noises that always proceed motor seizing ?

Last edited by Brody2473; 04-08-14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 08:40 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why this motor would seize I just can't imagine.. strange to see a thread like this.
Old 04-09-14, 05:01 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

To turn the motor manually, you would need to put a wrench on the crankshaft pulley at the very bottom of the motor.
Old 04-09-14, 05:49 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the motor was oil starved and siezed. Not a good thing. They don't all make lots of noise when it happens. I suggest having the car flat-bedded to an indy shop to diagnose. It's probably time to make the new motor v. new car decision.

Brody, is your period key broken? Your posts are really hard to read without that little piece of punctuation.
Old 04-09-14, 08:18 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, several mechanics have advised that the crankshaft should only be turned clockwise (when viewed from the front of the engine), although I can't say this from 1st-hand experience.
Old 04-09-14, 02:00 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
It sounds like the motor was oil starved and siezed. Not a good thing. They don't all make lots of noise when it happens. I suggest having the car flat-bedded to an indy shop to diagnose. It's probably time to make the new motor v. new car decision.

Brody, is your period key broken? Your posts are really hard to read without that little piece of punctuation.
Yes I know, and missing that little piece of punctuation makes post very hard to read and I do apoligize about all the missing periods but The reason it happens is bcuz I'm legally Blind in one of my eyes and I suffer from disslexia in the other, It usually takes me a really long time to post something because for some reason I have a very hard time figuring out when and where to end the sentence and put periods?!? It gets very Frusterating and Very Time consuming too !! So Last week some guy on another site was complaining about how he couldn't understand anything I posted and how I needed to take more time writing things before posting them !!! So I lost it and Smashed my keyboard on the desk ! And so what key do ya think broke ?? Yep sure did ! So your answer is YES!! My Period keys is Broken along with a few others! Thank God my Exclamation key stll works tho!!! And Hey the good thing is that I'm able to write all my post in half as much time now that I don't have to figure out where to put all my punctuation anymore !!!!
Old 04-09-14, 02:14 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

lol...
some body send this guy a new keyboard...
Old 04-09-14, 02:18 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brody2473
Yes I know, and missing that little piece of punctuation makes post very hard to read and I do apoligize about all the missing periods but The reason it happens is bcuz I'm legally Blind in one of my eyes and I suffer from disslexia in the other, It usually takes me a really long time to post something because for some reason I have a very hard time figuring out when and where to end the sentence and put periods?!? It gets very Frusterating and Very Time consuming too !! So Last week some guy on another site was complaining about how he couldn't understand anything I posted and how I needed to take more time writing things before posting them !!! So I lost it and Smashed my keyboard on the desk ! And so what key do ya think broke ?? Yep sure did ! So your answer is YES!! My Period keys is Broken along with a few others! Thank God my Exclamation key stll works tho!!! And Hey the good thing is that I'm able to write all my post in half as much time now that I don't have to figure out where to put all my punctuation anymore !!!!
Oh and Btw thanks for your suggestion that I take the car to the shop and get it diagnosed, sometimes the easiest and most obvious way to solve my problems never even cross my mind? Lol , hey if had thought about getting it diagnosed at the shop then I could've just skipped posting all these msgs asking all these questions ? Thanks a lot, Most helpful suggestion ever ! Great Stuff !
Old 04-09-14, 08:10 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

low oil pressure light came but oil levels were good and car sounded great so I figured it was a sensor and I would drive it until I could get it into the dealership the next week since it is about an hour away from where I live , the other day when I pulled Into my driveway after I had came almost to a stop rpms down the engine died , motor didn't make a noise before dying either no rattling no knocking it was just as smooth sounding as it ever was but after it locked up it will not turn over will not do anything ?
This is first post about an oil pressure warning light that I can recall seeing on the LS430 forum.

Oil pressure warning light comes on but OP keeps driving the car, then at some point later the motor won't crank. My semi-educated long distance guess is that the LS430 motor is likely bricked.
Old 04-10-14, 05:53 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh and Btw thanks for your suggestion that I take the car to the shop and get it diagnosed, sometimes the easiest and most obvious way to solve my problems never even cross my mind? Lol , hey if had thought about getting it diagnosed at the shop then I could've just skipped posting all these msgs asking all these questions ? Thanks a lot, Most helpful suggestion ever ! Great Stuff !
Just because you have the correct oil level indicated on the dipstick doesn't mean it's getting pumped, under pressure, to all necessary areas of the engine. As Jabberwock said, you chose to ignore the warning the car provided you. There is no advice any of us can provide that will solve what appears to be a seized engine.

Quick Reply: Ls430 engine locked up 2002