LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 engine locked up 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 06:00 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money says there's a large 500 pound piece of aluminum under the hood that remarkably resembles a 3UZ-FE engine only this one is friction welded into a solid block.
It's probably not just me but, if an oil light comes on I really can't turn it off fast enough.
I guess I'm used to assuming the worst - that it's not getting oil and quickly getting to work on the cylinder walls and crank journals.
If the car is otherwise in nice shape I expect you'd be dollars ahead to cruise recycle yards for a pulled engine and do a swap. An oil starved engine is expensive and time consuming to resuscitate and a lot of heat treatment to the various metal parts is all lost.
Old 04-12-14, 08:20 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

How long were u driving it with the oil light on?

Did u notice the engine temp higher then usual?

I drove my first Honda for weeks with literally no oil , and the engine wouldn't die .

The 3uz is a much more complex engine so it might not be able to handle that kind of abuse , but I still hold out some hope your engine isn't seized.
Old 04-13-14, 04:32 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

I think the least expensive and next test is to put a breaker bar and proper socket on the crank pulley and try and see if it will turn clockwise. If it turns at least a quarter turn or even less - but turns, you can move on to the next diagnosis. You should be able to get a long enough bar and a socket at a Craftsman store (Sears?) or from Harbor Freight. I'm not sure of the socket size but other posters on here are experts that probably know this in their sleep. Is it 22mm? Get the biggest heaviest bar and socket you can find that fits down there. At least 18" to 24" and 1/2 or bigger. This shouldn't cost more than $30 or so.
If it passes this test, get back to us and we can try and help with a step by step analysis and some ideas.
Until we cross the Rubicon with this test your time is probably wasted.
Let's hope it turns....
Old 04-14-14, 05:32 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

to help with the hand crank try this...pull the plugs and squirt either transmission fluid or marvel mystery oil into the cylinders. Let it soak for a while and then try the hand cranking with a breaker bar. We use to free up marine engines that way years ago.
Old 04-15-14, 01:19 PM
Brody2473
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light was on for about a 4 days and no problems with engine getting hot, which is another issue that kinda has me puzzled ? if the motor seized I would think that the friction caused from this would cause some heat issues ? But nonetheless I agree with everybody it does seem like it almost has to be locked up ? I will do the crank test and repost the results, and btw thank you for suggesting this plan of action and offering actual help it is greatly appreciated and is something that really helps ,the dealership is over an hour away Lol and I would really like to know the extent of my options before I tow so again thank you
Old 04-15-14, 02:33 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Brody2473
The light was on for about a 4 days and no problems with engine getting hot, which is another issue that kinda has me puzzled ? if the motor seized I would think that the friction caused from this would cause some heat issues ? But nonetheless I agree with everybody it does seem like it almost has to be locked up ? I will do the crank test and repost the results, and btw thank you for suggesting this plan of action and offering actual help it is greatly appreciated and is something that really helps ,the dealership is over an hour away Lol and I would really like to know the extent of my options before I tow so again thank you
I'm wondering if because we have such high tech cars does the computer actually control the operating temp and keep it running where it wants it to be

Meaning if your engine was running hotter would the computer tell the cooling system to work harder to keep the temps low I have a feeling this is the case

Anyways u must be very rich because it seems like u don't care very much about your engine lol I would of been panicking and took at least a week off work to figure it out by now
Old 04-15-14, 02:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the update. Hope it turns out to be something easier to fix than a completely stuck motor.
Old 04-16-14, 06:04 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The computer does not control the cooling system, the thermostat does.
Also, the temperature sensor switches do (but indirectly), by controlling the fans behind the radiator.
IIRC, that circuit does not go through the ECM computer.
Even when the coolant temperature is normal, a local spot (like a main bearing journal) can be very much over its design temperature, perhaps enough to be destroyed and seize the engine.
The coolant temp only indicates the overall engine temp.
Old 04-16-14, 04:49 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gene01
The computer does not control the cooling system, the thermostat does.
Also, the temperature sensor switches do (but indirectly), by controlling the fans behind the radiator.
IIRC, that circuit does not go through the ECM computer.
Even when the coolant temperature is normal, a local spot (like a main bearing journal) can be very much over its design temperature, perhaps enough to be destroyed and seize the engine.
The coolant temp only indicates the overall engine temp.
There is no amount or pumping of coolant that can protect a journal or cylinder wall that has insufficient oil for lubrication.

Please let us know the results of your crank test. We will hopefully provide a better direction to pursue at that point. I'm lighting incense and depositing alms on your behalf. Good luck.
Don't do this again
Old 08-15-15, 03:59 PM
rdeemerjr
Driver School Candidate

Hoping someone can help me with this I have a 2002 lexus Ls430 with approximately 170,000 miles on it ,one owner It has been serviced regularly since it was new the car has ran perfect never a noise in the engine well the low oil pressure light came but oil levels were good and car sounded great so I figured it was a sensor and I would drive it until I could get it into the dealership the next week since it is about an hour away from where I live , the other day when I pulled Into my driveway after I had came almost to a stop rpms down the engine died , motor didn't make a noise before dying either no rattling no knocking it was just as smooth sounding as it ever was but after it locked up it will not turn over will not do anything ? Checked the oil there doesn't seem to be any noticeable metal shavings in it or anything and so I'm just wondering is there anything in that engine that would cause it to lock up like that when oil pump is having problems other than the motor seizing up ? Just is strange for no engine noise or anything before it locked up like that for it to be engine seizing although that's most likely the only thing it could be ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
It may not be the engine that is locked up. The air condition compressor can lock up instantly causing the engine to be unable to turn over. Take the drive belt off and see if it cranks but don't let it run because the alternator is not charging the battery.
Old 08-15-15, 08:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rdeemerjr
It may not be the engine that is locked up. The air condition compressor can lock up instantly causing the engine to be unable to turn over. Take the drive belt off and see if it cranks but don't let it run because the alternator is not charging the battery.
rdeemerjr - Check the start date on this thread - the OP is long since gone, along with his doa motor
Old 08-15-15, 09:15 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default low oil

I would like to know what happend to this situation . He never said what was wrong with his motor . He never got back on this thread as what had happend.
Old 08-15-15, 11:56 PM
rdeemerjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Originally Posted by lexusls4
I would like to know what happend to this situation . He never said what was wrong with his motor . He never got back on this thread as what had happend.
I don't know. Perhaps he sold the vehicle after getting no response for such a long time.
Old 08-18-15, 03:57 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

4 days with the oil light on....amazing some people