LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS430 Air Suspension Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 05:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

For comfort, I don't know how you could possible beat a UL with air suspension. Just my opinion (which is biased as i drive a UL!)
Old 04-11-14, 06:06 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have similar problem

I have a strut that has a pinhole leak. Since the only LS430's that used air suspension was the UL, the places that rebuild air shocks don't have enough volume to do UL struts.

I have always driven my UL in sport mode. I am sure that the air is probably the most comfortable ride, but I don't want to keep shelling out the bucks when things go bad. The pinhole leak actually started when the car was in warranty. Lexus replaced everything except for the air strut and the compressor. Lexus hasn't been very willing to help. I told them back when they were throwing new sensors, ECU's, etc. on the car back then, that the air strut needed replacing. They insisted it was perfectly fine. For all their repairing over two years, the car was never fixed.
That's why I am thinking of a conversion.
Just want to know the best way to do it.
Old 04-22-14, 07:54 AM
Leelos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the MEGAN RACING Street LP Series .....cost me about $860.00 shipped and $580.00 to install......So far I really like it!!!!!! Car sits even, no more worry about $1500.00 struts or $600.00 sensors..... Are the car corners great.
Old 04-23-14, 09:11 PM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

any pics leelos? i couldnt see myself switching from bags for the sake of adjustability in height and such, but i do see why you switched.
Old 01-12-18, 10:08 AM
ira057
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2001 Ls430 Ultra. I just ordered Suncore conversion kit for front and back suspension for $359 with free shipping. I will let you guys know how it rides when they are installed.
Old 01-12-18, 11:06 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ira057
I have a 2001 Ls430 Ultra. I just ordered Suncore conversion kit for front and back suspension for $359 with free shipping. I will let you guys know how it rides when they are installed.
Interested to know your thoughts, that seems too cheap for all 4. I’d be concerned about ride quality.
Old 01-13-18, 12:40 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Default who does it

Mine on my 02 UL have not gone out yet, but I am getting prepared to make the change. I am not mechanical enough to do it myself and Lexus won"t do it. My Toyota dealership who does most of my work was informed by Lexus not to do it, so I'm left with trying to find an Indy to do it. Can most suspension repair places do it? I understand the rear seat must be removed.
Old 01-13-18, 02:02 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by monrovea
Mine on my 02 UL have not gone out yet, but I am getting prepared to make the change. I am not mechanical enough to do it myself and Lexus won"t do it. My Toyota dealership who does most of my work was informed by Lexus not to do it, so I'm left with trying to find an Indy to do it. Can most suspension repair places do it? I understand the rear seat must be removed.
Honestly the hardest part is removing in interior of the back to get to strut mounts. Taking the struts out is kinda easy, removing airline can be tricky. There should be the tool needed to press it out on the air line at least there was on mine. I can imagine you would get charged a lot in labor just for removing the interior. Could be tricky for someone who has never worked on these before.
Old 01-13-18, 03:04 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by monrovea
I installed my bc coilovers and its is a pretty simple procedure the hardest part is removing the rear seat and decklid, i have bc's with 16k front 14k rear and i do not feel the ride is overly harsh at all it gets rid of that "floaty" feeling the car has stock, goes were you point it, and becomes more pedictble this is just my opinion so take it that into account.
Old 01-15-18, 01:41 AM
ira057
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will let you know how the ride feels once I have them installed. Go to Suncore site. I've read good reviews. Strutmaster wants $1200 plus $83 for shipping. Labor is going to cost me $800 to have installed which includes $85 for towing. I'm having it done at a place here in Illinois called speedlube auto care. This is my fourth ultra. It has 223k miles on it. This is the first time I will be having this done. One thing i've had to have done on all of them is the wheel bearings. https://www.suncoreindustries.com/p-...ls430-rwd.aspx This company sells them on ebay also.

Last edited by ira057; 01-15-18 at 01:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jlferrell (09-11-23)
Old 05-04-18, 02:22 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am in the process of swapping out the bags for springs/shocks.
I ordered the following KYB items:
Front Strut #341392 Strut Mount #sm5565 Strut Bellow # SB104
Rear Strut #341393 Strut Mount #SM5566 Support Bellow #SB102

Well I got everything today and I am confused about the front setup.
The KYB Strut Mount #sm5565 comes with a boot attached to mount itself.
I also have the Strut Bellow # SB104. It comes with a boot and also a bump stop I presume???
My question is am I supposed to be installing SB104 below the boot that comes on the strut mount?
If so, would the end with the bump stop be facing downward?
I have attached a photo to show what I received.

Old 05-04-18, 08:26 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I changed over from OEM air to Bilstein coilovers. It now rides like my former BMW 735i.
Bilstein makes the coilovers exactly for the LS model you have - not a generic part. They take in consideration the spring rate, weight of the car, etc, etc. They also have a lifetime warranty. Cost about 1100 for the Bilsteins plus some parts from Lexus ( a schematic will tell you what). With the coilovers you can lower the car slightly. With the lowered car it feels more planted, not so couchlike as with the air. . Labor wise you will look at approx 5 hrs from a professional. You will also need a wheelalignment.
For the DIY: you should know how to work with a spring compression tool (a VERY dangerous beast)
Old 11-13-18, 03:04 PM
Australis
Driver School Candidate

Default Defeating Error Messages after conversion

Originally Posted by ira057
I have also just installed a set of Suncores. Were you able to defeat the error messages? Would you mind explaining how you went about doing that?
Old 11-14-18, 10:05 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me about these mounts. I bought OEM springs and struts from a used parts place and had them installed with new struts from mylexusparts the struts have failed twice. Now I had a shop install them so not sure if I am missing something. I have a feeling this is the case. The same shop replaced the ones on my 2001 LX470 with Strutmasters and they are wonderful. My LS430 is currently riding like a POS. Any recommendations?
Old 11-14-18, 10:09 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by semar
I changed over from OEM air to Bilstein coilovers. It now rides like my former BMW 735i.
Bilstein makes the coilovers exactly for the LS model you have - not a generic part. They take in consideration the spring rate, weight of the car, etc, etc. They also have a lifetime warranty. Cost about 1100 for the Bilsteins plus some parts from Lexus ( a schematic will tell you what). With the coilovers you can lower the car slightly. With the lowered car it feels more planted, not so couchlike as with the air. . Labor wise you will look at approx 5 hrs from a professional. You will also need a wheelalignment.
For the DIY: you should know how to work with a spring compression tool (a VERY dangerous beast)
what did you find out and what extra parts did you need?

Quick Reply: Lexus LS430 Air Suspension Conversion