LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL for wifey- air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 07:34 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UL for wifey- air suspension?

Hey guys. I bought my first 06 LS last year and enjoying it every day. Now my wife wants one! I found an 04 UL with low miles and complete Lexus service records. And all the air struts were replaced last year including timing belt. Do you think that'll buy me at least 5 years without worrying about the air suspension?

Last edited by RA40; 03-29-14 at 01:03 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 03-29-14, 08:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah. There very good chance it's going to be perfectly fine. You will probably still have some suspension work but not the air shocks. Bushings mainly. Sounds like a great find.
Old 03-29-14, 12:51 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless warranty paid for the air struts, somebody spent big money taking care of the car. Sounds like a winner. She'll love it. With the air suspension, I think it's just a roll of the dice. You might never have to fix anything, and you may have a problem in four years. In the meantime, enjoy.
Old 03-29-14, 01:46 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Well you have to think about the entire system, not only shocks. The compressor and sensors can get pricey too if they weren't replaced with the shocks. Once the air starts to leak, the compressor is working overtime so it all depends on how long the guy before you waited to replace the shocks. Some people have had issues with the door closers as well. In my opinion, less toys = less headaches when you're buying used.
Old 03-29-14, 02:11 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default That's Why I Bought a Lexus

Originally Posted by RushNatU
Well you have to think about the entire system, not only shocks. The compressor and sensors can get pricey too if they weren't replaced with the shocks. Once the air starts to leak, the compressor is working overtime so it all depends on how long the guy before you waited to replace the shocks. Some people have had issues with the door closers as well. In my opinion, less toys = less headaches when you're buying used.
No doubt that the more toys, the more there is to break. However, that's why I bought a Lexus....to have a high level of reliability.
Old 03-29-14, 02:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's funny. Seems like only non UL owners are saying don't buy a UL. Something is wrong with that...
Old 03-29-14, 04:35 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Could it possibly be Envy?

Last edited by jayclapp; 03-29-14 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-14, 04:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It goes up firm and comes down, ***** envy?
Old 03-29-14, 05:05 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally made a conscious decision to not purchase the UL. I specifically wanted no Nav or air suspension. They're dang near the same price so it's not penile jealousy, my friend. I'm not planning to shell out thousands of dollars on repairs for a 13 year old car. It's full of awesome features as is. The soft close doors would be the only option I would enjoy having. You rich guys can afford to replace stuff and that's fine with me, enjoy.
Old 03-29-14, 05:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I think what attracts most people to the LS is it's a flagship luxury car without the drama and headaches. The UL models create a lot of additional headaches that I personally don't think are "worth it". It's almost like buying a European flagship when you have to budget $5,000 in extra repairs vs a standard LS.

We have another Lexus in our household we bought new with an air suspension, and it went out at around 85k miles. It's an incredibly expensive fix, it's almost the equivalent of buying a new transmission. For what? You can find a great ride with conventional struts. I wouldn't have even known the difference, it's more of a "gee whiz" feature than anything. If I had the option when we bought the car, I would have paid MORE to not have the air ride.

But if the car has had the airstruts recently replaced, that's about a $4,000 fix, so that's a big plus and it would make feel a lot more comfortable. You've really eliminated the biggest financial risk. There's other things that can go out like the compressor and sensors, but the struts themselves are the main issue. You've then got car doors with those automatic closers at around $1,000 a pop if they go out. And a 10 year old car with possibly thousands of openings and closings, it's probably around the corner.

Some people buy a flagship for all the gadgets, and Lexus made a model for those people. I think for the most part it's gimmicky and costly, but if people are happy with it, more power to them.
Old 03-29-14, 05:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradTank
I think what attracts most people to the LS is it's a flagship luxury car without the drama and headaches. The UL models create a lot of additional headaches that I personally don't think are "worth it". It's almost like buying a European flagship when you have to budget $5,000 in extra repairs vs a standard LS.

We have another Lexus in our household we bought new with an air suspension, and it went out at around 85k miles. It's an incredibly expensive fix, it's almost the equivalent of buying a new transmission. For what? You can find a great ride with conventional struts. I wouldn't have even known the difference, it's more of a "gee whiz" feature than anything. If I had the option when we bought the car, I would have paid MORE to not have the air ride.

But if the car has had the airstruts recently replaced, that's about a $4,000 fix, so that's a big plus and it would make feel a lot more comfortable. You've really eliminated the biggest financial risk. There's other things that can go out like the compressor and sensors, but the struts themselves are the main issue. You've then got car doors with those automatic closers at around $1,000 a pop if they go out. And a 10 year old car with possibly thousands of openings and closings, it's probably around the corner.

Some people buy a flagship for all the gadgets, and Lexus made a model for those people. I think for the most part it's gimmicky and costly, but if people are happy with it, more power to them.
That's what all the non UL owners say...

I think the point is your don't hear UL owners complaining about their cars. Just a little more suspension work over time.
Old 03-29-14, 06:30 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Funny

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I personally made a conscious decision to not purchase the UL. I specifically wanted no Nav or air suspension. They're dang near the same price so it's not penile jealousy, my friend. I'm not planning to shell out thousands of dollars on repairs for a 13 year old car. It's full of awesome features as is. The soft close doors would be the only option I would enjoy having. You rich guys can afford to replace stuff and that's fine with me, enjoy.
The best posts on this forum are the ones that get very emotional. It sounds like you would have liked an LS with roll up windows. What awesome features does the base car have that every car made then has? That's okay though...whatever makes you happy. You are right..it is the most pragmatic LS to own. I have an UL. I do enjoy all of the features and toys, but I am well aware that it means more to break.
If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a ML...or maybe a CL. I wouldn't buy another UL based on air suspension. There is no reason for any car to have air suspension. Maybe the air suspension is intended to function as a euphemism for a penile enhancer.
Old 03-29-14, 06:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I would have no issue buying a UL except I need the pass thru for my skis. Alot of cool stuff otherwise and if coils are 1200 bucks no biggy as I think bought right the air is less problematic than we think. But like air in every other car Benz etc it will last only so long. Does Arnot make any replacement stuff yet?
Old 03-29-14, 07:20 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

No from Arnott, Benz air up the wazzoo but no LS.
Old 03-29-14, 07:24 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

My optimal configuration for the LS430 would be a UL with the base suspension. I would not purchase a LS430 (or really any car) with air suspension. I honestly couldn't tell much if any difference between the ride quality, so I didn't think the exposure to major repair expenses was worth it. This may sound odd, but to me, the most desirable option exclusive to the UL package is the rear side shades. One of the few things I miss about my 460L.

But that just my opinion. It's definitely a personal preference decision. The only right answer is the one you come up with.

Quick Reply: UL for wifey- air suspension?