Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 09:57 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default +1 x2

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Couple of observations/comments:

1. Why would you think that the driver behind you cares or even notices that the rear sunshade on your car has moved up or down? I guarantee you nobody cares and in general nobody is watching you and your car's sunshade under most ordinary day to day conditions.

2. If you are on the freeway and following so close that your car gets hit with significant windshield spay from car in front of you - you are too close - back off. I will blast my windshield washers (assuming my car hasn't just been washed) whenever some over-aggressive D-bag is tailgating me on the freeway.
Jabberwock, I agree 100% with both of your comments.

Regarding #1, I've put the top up on my SC430 at a busy gas station and realized that only a couple people even noticed. Most people are in their own world and could care less about your car and it's nifty features.

Regarding #2, I'm simply amazed by the immaturity and sheer stupidity of some drivers, and even more blown away at how they document their "jerk maneuvers" by writing about them on internet forums.

StillLine

Last edited by StillLine; 04-19-14 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Better choice of words.
Old 04-20-14, 06:27 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If a convertible in front of me at a traffic light puts up its top, I'd notice for sure.
But a convertible with a retractable top is more common than a car with power rear sunshades.

Also, I (possibly others here) prefer driving behind a car with a clear rear windshield, so that we can see "through" the car in front, to see what's happening up ahead. I don't like driving behind motorhomes, large SUVs, limos and trucks, and also cars with heavily tinted rear windows, for that reason.
(Feel sorry at times for Corvette owners... very hard for them to see anything more than the car in front of them. Often, the bumper of a truck is higher than their steering wheel

I like driving behind little roadsters Sometimes I even leave enough space in front of me to let them merge in; I'm not as nice to vehicles that would obstruct my view.
Now, if a car in front of me I was looking "through" suddenly put up a rear sunshade that obstructed my once clear view, I'd be a little perturbed; I might even think the guy in front doesn't want me looking "through" his car ( *if* I never had a car with a rear sunshade).

Notice that people don't care if the sunshade or top was always deployed; it is the change *in traffic* (and not while stopped at a gas station or parking lot) that some drivers might react to, I think.
Then again, there are other drivers who may not even notice these things.

I never thought about using the windshield washer on the freeway, Lol!
I usually move out of the fast lane if I sense someone behind me wants to go faster. There are some crazy people on I-5 and I-15, especially on Fridays, I tell ya. Annoying them often leads to road rage incidents.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 04-20-14, 05:05 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

True story bro:
Yesterday driving in the right hand lane on the freeway (anticipating my exit) a lane of traffic was merging onto the freeway. There's a car matched up to my speed with her lane ending so I moved over one lane so she could merge in. Unfortunately I had to come back in right away to catch my exit. I gassed it and got in front of her but it was definitely a too-close lane change. She laid on the horn and I looked in my rearview mirror and waved to say 'sorry'. The passenger, a guy, flips me the bird. I thought of this thread and immeditately shut him down by raising the shade. I don't know what they thought but, hey, Talk to the shade, baby cuz I'm done with yer azz!
Old 04-21-14, 06:07 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

You had the right of way.
If my exit were coming up, I might have slowed down to let someone trying to get onto the freeway merge into my lane, but I would not have changed lanes (unless emergency avoidance of a collision).
Just my $0.02

Old 04-21-14, 01:48 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Slowing down would have put me next to the NEXT car merging in (a line of merging cars) at 60MPH! Bad situation. All's well that ends well, in this case.
Old 04-21-14, 05:43 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

On busy freeway entrances here in So Cal, we have lights (sometimes only active at certain times of the day) that only permit 1 (sometimes 2) cars per Green light to get onto the freeway, to prevent that kind of line of cars trying to merge in.