LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS - power rear sunshade - a sociological study of reactions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 05:25 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus LS - power rear sunshade - a sociological study of reactions

Are we perceived as snobs if we activate our power rear sunshade in traffic?

The kid wanted the sunshade up (I hardly ever use it), and while waiting at a traffic light, I activated it. Then, I noticed the expression on the face of the driver behind me: it changed from a happy/neutral to kinda unhappy; he even pulled alongside me and gave me a weird look as he drove off.

This prompted me to ask myself... Are we perceived as snobs for doing that? In order to try to answer that question myself, I had to study a larger sample of drivers. The BMW 3-series driver always makes a good experimental sample I thought, so I tried it on 2 of them. Though not statistically significant, I noticed a change in both their facial expressions, for the worse. Very interesting...

This prompted me to try it on a more evenly matched car: the Mercedes E-series. Now it is not easy to find one when you want one, probably because most of them may be in the shop being repaired or something... but I did find one, pulled in front of it (being very careful not to cut them off), and activated my rear sunshade. The guy overtakes me from the left, gets in front of me, and activates his rear sunshade before zooming off!
Now thats just too interesting, I tell ya! There's something about these rear power sunshades...

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 03-28-14, 05:50 PM
MrShirls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered what the thought of people who witness the sunshade go up are thinking... I'm sure to a man who feels his car is less than ours it would at least aggravate or cause some envy... but for a man who loves his vehicle and is proud of it, I doubt that it bothers.
Old 03-28-14, 05:52 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I keep mine up all summer. I also leave my rear side window shades up as well. Helps with heat and UV.
Old 03-28-14, 05:53 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

That is very funny and I have to agree that it is going to be seen as a snob action.
I avoid doing it if possible but I have done it couple of times when I had brought it down earlier and forgotten to put it in automatic mode.
I won't feel bad doing it to a snob though.
Old 03-28-14, 06:53 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Do it to a cop...see if he pulls you over lol
Old 03-28-14, 07:28 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I keep mine up all summer. I also leave my rear side window shades up as well. Helps with heat and UV.
I do the same thing. Even with 20% tint AA, Florida heat can be brutal.
Old 03-28-14, 07:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I will occasional lower the shade, look in the mirror, and say, "get off my ***" and then raise it when I am being tailgated by some moron at excessive speeds. They generally back off.
Old 03-28-14, 08:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Very interesting idea - never crossed my mind, but now several of us will be trying the experiment. Normally I try hard not to look at people in other cars, too often they are doing something disgusting.

At first i was wondering if it was an early April 1 post, had to double check the calender.
Old 03-28-14, 08:47 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So i'm not alone lol

I had a 2004 Mercedes E-class and loved the rear shade... Especially when someone was on my *** or had a lifted truck at night. I've raised it several times because of who or how the person behind me was driving... And it always seemed to **** them off. But they are so nice to have
Old 03-29-14, 08:51 PM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten reactions a few times. Mostly a surprised look. I really like the shade at night, to block excessive light from following vehicles. The number of "reactions" will likely be on the decline as the power rear sunshade option is getting to be more common with other auto manufacturers. You could get one on a Ford Taurus as of 2012, maybe even earlier.
Old 03-29-14, 09:09 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the power sunshade is a way cool option I wish I had in my Ls400. I'd use it all the time if I had one
Old 03-30-14, 06:29 AM
rwhartso
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HiYa:
What a hoot, I thought I was the only one playing with the shade on our '04 UL.
Concur; jacked up trucks, tailgaters, cuties, kids with boomboxers, Beemers, MB's, cops, bikers (and I ride) and on and on.
I'm gonna wear ours out!
My Bride tell's me all of the time "leave the damn thing alone". Well, she says about the same on other things too.....
Life's too short not to find the fun in ALL things!!!!!!
RW
Old 03-30-14, 07:08 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave mine up most of the time. Great feature. I always fear playing with it too much will wear the motor or arms out lol.
Old 03-30-14, 08:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I think the power sunshade is a way cool option I wish I had in my Ls400. I'd use it all the time if I had one
A dealer installed manually retractable rear window sunshade was available in the first few years of the LS400. Here is a photo of the one in the 1990 LS400 that I bought new and sold in 2003: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3450648-post6.html
Old 03-30-14, 09:11 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool (literally!), and it looks like cloth seats as well. Rather unusual LS400.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS - power rear sunshade - a sociological study of reactions