LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

When is it time to sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 05:58 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's either swap out the air suspension for steel springs/coilovers and keep it or sell it. I have an 01 UL and did the swap to steel springs a couple of years ago. It cost about $1600 for all four, but I don't have to worry about it anymore or the need to switch out coilovers when they go bad.

I currently have 188K miles and have had a few issues, ie. leaky valve cover seal, rotors, rear differential leak, etc. By saving a monthly car payment, those occasional repairs become affordable.

I went through the same thought process as you. Do I sell my car when it has low enough miles to be worth a decent amount of money or drive it into the ground? I keep coming back to the fact that not many cars will have the same quality of the 430.
Old 04-04-14, 07:22 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rational

Originally Posted by Boomer01
It's either swap out the air suspension for steel springs/coilovers and keep it or sell it. I have an 01 UL and did the swap to steel springs a couple of years ago. It cost about $1600 for all four, but I don't have to worry about it anymore or the need to switch out coilovers when they go bad.

I currently have 188K miles and have had a few issues, ie. leaky valve cover seal, rotors, rear differential leak, etc. By saving a monthly car payment, those occasional repairs become affordable.

I went through the same thought process as you. Do I sell my car when it has low enough miles to be worth a decent amount of money or drive it into the ground? I keep coming back to the fact that not many cars will have the same quality of the 430.
Your post is rational. It's amazing how we rationalize things. You've answered my question. From a rational point of view, I am not at that point where it needs replacing. If I fell in love with another car, I would be rationalizing my NEED to make a change.
Old 04-04-14, 07:44 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get a chuckle out of this sort of thread. My Miata, at 38k miles, is the first car I've bought in the last 35 years that DIDN'T have over 100k on it. And even counting a couple of MB's that gave major trouble, I've never invested anything close to what the payment on a new car would be.

The depreciation hit you would take just driving off the lot in a new LS460 would be more than the value of your current car plus repairs. That's a big price to pay for the "peace of mind" a warranty may give you.

With that in mind, I don't see the issue with putting a little money in your current Lexus. I'm betting that over the next 100k, it won't need more than two or three new car payments worth of repair.

But if it's just time for a new car, I can totally sympathize with that, too!
Old 04-05-14, 08:50 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Using The Rational in an Irrational Decision

Originally Posted by Harpo
I always get a chuckle out of this sort of thread. My Miata, at 38k miles, is the first car I've bought in the last 35 years that DIDN'T have over 100k on it. And even counting a couple of MB's that gave major trouble, I've never invested anything close to what the payment on a new car would be.

The depreciation hit you would take just driving off the lot in a new LS460 would be more than the value of your current car plus repairs. That's a big price to pay for the "peace of mind" a warranty may give you.

With that in mind, I don't see the issue with putting a little money in your current Lexus. I'm betting that over the next 100k, it won't need more than two or three new car payments worth of repair.

But if it's just time for a new car, I can totally sympathize with that, too!
I'm not close to "needing" a new car, but unfortunately I can rationalize a "want" to a "need." I don't like the 460. Sadly, I don't like any Lexus product right now. Everything is a compromise. I like the new A6 (like the new A7, but do not want to go to that price range). Then it is..great performance and handling, but I'm giving up long term reliability...can't keep it after extended warranty. I can make money with the cash I am going to spend, rather than throw it away on depreciation. Pity cars don't depreciate like my motorcycles...then choices would be easy.
Old 04-05-14, 02:56 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same dilemma...2004 LS Premium, 25000 mi, purchased new, car is absolutely perfect...BUT, with a new Lexus hybrid as a stablemate for everyday use, it's getting less and less use....can I justify the small annual upkeep expense? Timing belt/water pump done at 9 years, by the book...Underhood is so clean I could heat my dinner on the engine and have no qualms about it. I'm 77, and don't need money from the sale...just keep it???
Old 04-05-14, 04:34 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Caydoc
I'm in the same dilemma...2004 LS Premium, 25000 mi, purchased new, car is absolutely perfect...BUT, with a new Lexus hybrid as a stablemate for everyday use, it's getting less and less use....can I justify the small annual upkeep expense? Timing belt/water pump done at 9 years, by the book...Underhood is so clean I could heat my dinner on the engine and have no qualms about it. I'm 77, and don't need money from the sale...just keep it???
What color is it?
Old 04-05-14, 05:58 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Caydoc
Only 25,000 miles on an 04. That is crazy. No way I'd let that go.
Old 04-05-14, 06:08 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Bob....I may want to buy it...you're killing my deal

Originally Posted by Bob04
Only 25,000 miles on an 04. That is crazy. No way I'd let that go.
Bob, regardless, if you don't use something, it is just waste. It may fit my need. I have sold one motorcycle, because I got to the point where I rarely rode it. Fellow Ducati enthusiasts thought I was crazy to sell it..."it's a collector's item....most beautiful bike they ever built....." I soul searched, put it off, turned down a deal, lost a deal over being indecisive, and finally sold it. Do I miss seeing it in my garage? Sure. Do I miss having to ride it enough to keep it in good operating condition? Nope. I hope the buyer is enjoying it.
Old 04-05-14, 06:18 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

these threads are pointless to me, and I never really understood them. Nobody can answer this question but you. There are so many reasons on why or why not to sell any car regardless of the age, mileage, etc., they can all be debated for days. There are also so many reasons why people try to rationalize keeping or selling a car, which can also be debated for days. We all know these cars are reliable and can post up high mileage on a regular basis, no real debate there.

In the end, you are the only one that can answer the question.......thus the pointlessness to the thread. And I say this with all due respect, not trying to be an A hole.
Old 04-05-14, 07:03 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
these threads are pointless to me, and I never really understood them. Nobody can answer this question but you. There are so many reasons on why or why not to sell any car regardless of the age, mileage, etc., they can all be debated for days. There are also so many reasons why people try to rationalize keeping or selling a car, which can also be debated for days. We all know these cars are reliable and can post up high mileage on a regular basis, no real debate there.

In the end, you are the only one that can answer the question.......thus the pointlessness to the thread. And I say this with all due respect, not trying to be an A hole.
I guess I should have termed it differently. My real question is simply as follows:
My car is twelve years old with 82,000 miles. Is it still reliable both in the sense of confidence to drive it on long road trips, and is it about to start costing a lot of money to maintain. I assume that there are many members of this forum who have mechanical expertise, or experience in this area to provide answers.
You make a good point, the subjective subject line was phrased incorrectly. I don't think you are being an A hole.
Old 04-06-14, 06:21 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

So, I test drove an A6 for two days. I like my 2002 LS430 better, and so does my wife. We did like the new A8, but I am not going to spend that kind of money on a car. Aw an RS7. I like it, but I would like that as a second car.

The LS430 is a nicer car than the A6...even the Premium version.
Old 04-06-14, 07:03 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

82k miles is nothing to these cars.......if its purely a reliability question, you have no worries there. Without going back and reading the whole thread, if you have done the timing belt and water pump you are good to go for some time. You may start to get little things going wrong, but nothing that will break the bank. I had to replace things like door actuators, ML speakers and subwoofer, but nothing serious on my 01.

It has 125k on it and I would driver it anywhere with no worries.
Old 04-07-14, 06:02 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Two questions you ask... reliable and expensive to maintain...
My dad drives a 93 model... would not hesitate to take on long trips and does... and I help him with the little maintenance it needs to keep the costs down.
I"d say, yes they are reliable and yes you will spend money on maintenance as you would on any car. Keep it and drive happy.
Old 04-07-14, 06:35 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

apart from the warranty most cars( including newer Lexus have issues) - i had the whole nav screen failure in ISF it has 700 mile on it, ac issue in LX570..my grandma had problems with hybrid motor seyup in her brand new rx450h.

So yea it can happen..what i have seen alot of people do including myself is just getting a new car just for the sake for it/ or having a nice car with alot of miles then i regret few months later
Originally Posted by beneteau
Kinda thinking the same way. The wife's LS is 9yo with 90k miles. Well maintained, excellent condition and just completed the 90k service. Plus, there's no car note. However, I'm always worried about all the expensive options on the car and "what if". Also, the "old" technology (audio, GPS, etc.). It is, more or less, a garage queen and is driven very little since my wife drives my Camry to work (I'm retired)

I love the car;but for the above reasons/thinking, if we could afford a later model ES, we'd go for it.
Old 04-07-14, 04:38 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

I would have seller's regret if I got rid of my LS UL...I do wish it had a regular suspension system. I could do without air suspension. Air suspension is a good "idea," but that's where it should end.

Quick Reply: When is it time to sell my car?