LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LED Daytime Running Light project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 01:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
looks good man, but def need to move them farther apart.
Yeah, putting them as far apart as possible was my intention. Unfortunately, they are as far apart as they can go and be symmetrical without pulling each brake air duct vent out and installing them inside the duct work. Having laser cruise eats up 6 inches on the passenger side lower vent. I think I will when I have the time off in the next few weeks. Just trying to avoid as much modifications as possible. I really can't think of anywhere else to put them.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-31-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 05:53 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not integrate them into a front spoiler using something like this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-TU...635003018.html

Maybe this is more simple to adapt on your car using homemade housing : http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Xenon-Whi...2a03fa&vxp=mtr

Denis.

Last edited by denIS200; 04-01-14 at 06:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-01-14, 06:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Because their cheap and unreliable. Plus, it means pulling the whole headlamp assembly assembly apart too. Just not the style I'm going for. This kit puts out a lot more light. Those other lights are more like decoration vs the Phillips kit. When you are standing in front the Phillips during the day they are bright to look at. Much more effective. It's just the work of pulling the wheel and all the plastic fender / duct out to do it properly. Not looking forward to this.
Old 04-01-14, 08:19 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

You don't understand what I mean.

You can adapt them inside the front bumper like this :

Denis.
Old 04-01-14, 08:30 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So, the DRL and the high beams are two separate bulbs on each side or just one for both? Just curious, because I have yet to try anything like this or even look behind the lights to check since I've had no issues.
Old 04-01-14, 09:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That's exactly what I would love to do Denis.... hahaha. To bad that is not even the stock bumper. That is the look I am trying to achieve but with the stock bumper.

Ultm, the high beams are the DRL, just running at 6V. You can turn them off with Toyota Techstream.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-01-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 09:17 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That's exactly what I would love to do Denis.... hahaha. To bad that is not even the stock bumper. That is the look I am trying to achieve but with the stock bumper..
Nice. So I will follow the progress of the project

Denis.
Old 04-01-14, 12:37 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the solution for you. I have drls on my car with a standard bumper with radar cruise on one side. Its not difficult at all its very easy but you wont be able to use the drls you already have they are too big. The ones you have are mounted too close together for my taste.
I'll post up some pictures and the type I have when its light outside!
Old 04-01-14, 01:12 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I'm interested in seeing what you have done. I going to keep what I have and mount them in the vent for the brake duct before I change my lights. Post some pics.
Old 04-01-14, 10:00 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LEX ES300 - If you have the cruise "glass eye" in the passenger side of the lower bumper, you have laser cruise (Dynamic Laser Cruise Control) rather than radar cruise (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
DRCC came only with the Pre-Collision option, and is identified by the plastic shield around the Lexus "L" in the center of the grille.
Old 04-02-14, 01:27 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gene01
LEX ES300 - If you have the cruise "glass eye" in the passenger side of the lower bumper, you have laser cruise (Dynamic Laser Cruise Control) rather than radar cruise (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
DRCC came only with the Pre-Collision option, and is identified by the plastic shield around the Lexus "L" in the center of the grille.
Sorry, Yeah I have the part in the lower bumper. (Laser I guess?) Its just that on my instrument panel when you turn it on it say's 'radar ready'.

Whatever I have.... its mounted in the lower bumper......
Old 04-02-14, 03:08 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I'm interested in seeing what you have done. I going to keep what I have and mount them in the vent for the brake duct before I change my lights. Post some pics.
Ok, this is what I have done - You need to buy smaller DRL's first.

I have the Phillips Daylight 4 DRL leds. Yes I did wanted bigger ones but bumper space is an issue as you have discovered with yours . The phillips daylight 4 are pretty much a perfect fit to mount them in the top part of the vent next to the foglights. They are small but they certainly pack a punch and are very, bright - high quality LEDS. There's no need to run the cable down inside the actual vent duct behind the bumper as that will go nowhere! Just put the DRLS in the vents then run the cable upwards behind the bumper towards your battery. There will be enough cable, and just use a torch and have a look and you will see spaces/gaps/holes to run the cable up and thread through the engine bay towards the battery.

I DIDN"T use the brackets that came with the kit as I didn't want to screw them into the bumper and ruin things and that area appears quite fragile too. I can remove mine back to factory original if I ever want to with minimal effort A word of CAUTION...if you do decide to use the brackets somehow, you need to fit them to the car first. NEVER clip the lights into the brackets before mounting the actual brackets as these phillips ones will click in and hold so tightly that you'll probably never be able to seperate the drl light from the bracket mount without causing damage. ie don't open the packaging then click the DRL's into the brackets to test it! There are videos online showing how to mount the philips kit to a basic car (not a lexus) - you'll get the picture.

Anyway.....Here's my pics to see if you like the set up: Sorry photos were taken on a crappy phone (low res) so they aren't the best quality. Hope this helps! This is much better spacing.

OFF

ON

(

ON (Different angle re brightness)

Old 04-02-14, 05:38 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good Lex. I'm going try to use what I have. I'm going to make them fit. From my measurements, the 8 LED version will fit if I pull out the brake vent duct and mount it just inside the fin. I post pics when I eventually do it. You are right about those brackets. Good Lord do those things mount securely. Ridiculous. It take 4 hands and 3 screwdrivers to remove them from the brackets.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-02-14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 09:04 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lex ES300 - You are right, and this has caused a lot of confusion. The display says "Radar ready" whether you have Laser OR Radar. It doesn't make much difference in most cases, but many parts are different, and since radar came only with PCS, the cars have a number of different parts in other systems, e.g. seat belt tensioners, brake system, front bumper, grille, etc.
Old 04-02-14, 11:42 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ES300, appears with how small of a strip you have you could actually still put them in the OEM fog housings and it'd probably look better. But that's just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: LED Daytime Running Light project