2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 04:44 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator

TRANSMISSION

Could someone please explain to me how new transmission fluid is put into the LS's "sealed transmission" ? My understanding is there is a drain plug on the bottom, so removing the bolt will drain it - correct ?

This is the question : once empty, how will the new fluid be put in ?
How long does this take and what is a fair price to pay a shop to do this ?

I know this only changes a small % of the fluid, and I am OK with that. I may get it done a few times for peace of mind.

Should the rad coolant and thermostat be done at the same time the timing belt and water pump is replaced ?

Last edited by Stu; 03-21-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 10:18 AM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done the timing belt myself on the 98 LS 400, I would just have all that preventative maintenance stuff done at the 90K service. You have to drain the radiator to change the timing belt and WP anyway, and the mechanic probably wouldn't even charge extra to do the thermostat while he has it all apart. The transmission, however, has me puzzled as well...
Old 03-21-14, 11:35 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Read the Sticky's

Go to the "sticky" on "most frequently asked questions". Read the section on transmission fluid changes. Read everything carefully. Do exactly what it says.

The 2001 to 2003 Transmissions are much easier because as you remove transmission fluid from the passenger side transmission cooler line you can measure it approximately and add that amount back through the dip stick tube. Finish the job buy driving the car and topping off as necessary.

The 2004 to 2006 transmissions are a little more difficult. Do the same as above, but measure exactly what you remove and add the equal amount through the transmission fill plug as indicated on the photos. Use a funnel with a long fill hose.

In either case do not pull the pan. Do not drain the pan. You may check the fluid level in 2004 to 2006 pans as indicated in the photos, Just to be sure.

USE THE CORRECT TOYOTA TRANSMISSION FLUID for each series of transmission. You can buy it by the case on E bay.

Old 03-21-14, 11:44 AM
Stu
Racer

He's charging $ 75 to drain and refill, but he's never done a drain and fill on a 05 LS30. ( That's why I will be reading more about it here and may change my mind and skip it.

I am puzzled too .... having trouble believing the LS oil and transmission are that amazingly well engineered and built that they NEVER NEVER need an oil change except under extreme conditions ( say you professionally race the car, lol, or use it to pull your large cabin cruiser up mountains ....
Old 03-21-14, 11:47 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by lorenr
Go to the "sticky" on "most frequently asked questions". Read the section on transmission fluid changes. Read everything carefully. Do exactly what it says.

The 2001 to 2003 Transmissions are much easier because as you remove transmission fluid from the passenger side transmission cooler line you can measure it approximately and add that amount back through the dip stick tube. Finish the job buy driving the car and topping off as necessary.

The 2004 to 2006 transmissions are a little more difficult. Do the same as above, but measure exactly what you remove and add the equal amount through the transmission fill plug as indicated on the photos. Use a funnel with a long fill hose.

In either case do not pull the pan. Do not drain the pan. You may check the fluid level in 2004 to 2006 pans as indicated in the photos, Just to be sure.

USE THE CORRECT TOYOTA TRANSMISSION FLUID for each series of transmission. You can buy it by the case on E bay.

I went to the FAQ ...

it states

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3379549-post11.html

2. TRANSMISSION PAN FILL
(a) Remove the two bolts and transmission case cover.
(b) Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.
(c) Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins
to trickle out of the overflow tube.
(d) Reinstall the overflow plug.

Is this for a 2005 LS430 transmission, that I have always read was "sealed "

You clearly said "Do not drain the pan" yet that is exactly what the DIY says to do

Am I reading this wrong ? '

Last edited by Stu; 03-21-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 11:27 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a DIY for 06 Tacoma with pics. Can anyone confirm it's the same procedure as 04 to 06 LS since it uses the same Toyota WS ATF fluid. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 03-22-14, 10:58 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Carefully read the "sticky"

Re-read the entire sticky. There is a lot more there. The procedures for the 2001 to 2003 are different from the 2004 to 2006. They require two different ATF fluids. The WS Toyota fluid is for sealed transmissions. The Type IV Toyota fluid is for earlier 2001 to 2003 transmissions.

If you want to just replace the fluid in the pan (maybe two or more quarts) remove or drain the pan and fill as indicated. However, if you want to replace the fluid in the transmission (maybe seven quarts) read how to do it in the sticky, using the passenger side cooler line.

I did read one on Toyota Tundras that seemed correct for sealed transmissions. Done correctly it only needs to be done every 50K to 70K miles.

Old 03-22-14, 12:02 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Is there anything wrong with draining the oil from drain plug and filling equal amount of oil from the fill hole without having to have the vehicle leveled or even warm and not touching the fluid check plug at all?
I only have ramps and have to other way to get vehicle lifted and leveled. (Except may be driving on the ramp on sloped driveway but that doesn't sound like a good idea.)
Old 03-22-14, 02:09 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I plan on driving up ramps and doing 3-4 ATF drain and fills over the next few months(I will measure what comes out and replace the same amount). I just don't want to shock the system with all new fluid. I then will do an ATF drain and fill, every other oil change. This in turn, will keep a good amount of fresh ATF/additives in the tranny. Most likely I will use WS or Maxlife syn ATF...
Old 03-22-14, 06:31 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I plan on driving up ramps and doing 3-4 ATF drain and fills over the next few months(I will measure what comes out and replace the same amount). I just don't want to shock the system with all new fluid. I then will do an ATF drain and fill, every other oil change. This in turn, will keep a good amount of fresh ATF/additives in the tranny. Most likely I will use WS or Maxlife syn ATF...
How much is everyone paying for Toyota WS?
I see it is $9.50 on
Amazon Amazon
. Reviews say Stealers want $16-$20 but that sounds outrageous.

I don't mind paying a little premium for Toyota WS but not more than 50%. Maxlife syn ATF is $65 for
12 quarts 12 quarts

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 03-22-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 07:16 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
How much is everyone paying for Toyota WS?
I see it is $9.50 on Amazon. Reviews say Stealers want $16-$20 but that sounds outrageous.

I don't mind paying a little premium for Toyota WS but not more than 50%. Maxlife syn ATF is $65 for 12 quarts
A Toyota dealership near my mechanic is charging around $7 per quart + tax. This is with a 25% off coupon. Their regular price if 9.33 per quart.

I'm debating whether or not the Amsoil Fuel Efficient ATF fluid is worthwhile due to the same overall cost. Perhaps a better ATF fluid....hmm.
Old 03-22-14, 07:48 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Found one more Toyota WS compatible by Peak

Not sure if anyone ever used it.
Old 03-22-14, 08:22 PM
Stu
Racer

are you guys crazy .... we are planning to service a transmission that the manufacturer does not want serviced.

I am going to do it anyway, but why not use the Toyota fluid, even if it costs a few dollars more ?
Old 03-22-14, 08:57 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stu
are you guys crazy .... we are planning to service a transmission that the manufacturer does not want serviced.

I am going to do it anyway, but why not use the Toyota fluid, even if it costs a few dollars more ?
It is just a matter of principles.
I refuse to pay 2-3 times for the product when there may be an equal or better alternative. I don't really care for the money itself otherwise I wouldn't be driving this car.
When I needed a Fuselink Lexus dealer wanted $45 for it and I bought one from Advance auto for $3.

Having said that I can pay a little bit of a premium but won't participate in spoiling the stealerships. There are already enough people doing it.
Old 03-22-14, 09:06 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
It is just a matter of principles.
I refuse to pay 2-3 times for the product when there may be an equal or better alternative ...
As long as it is equal or better, then I agree.

I would be concerned that for whatever reason it might be incompatible and cause a very expensive failure.

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator