LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator

Old 03-22-14, 09:12 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu

I would be concerned that for whatever reason it might be incompatible and cause a very expensive failure.
I am concerned as well that is why I am still evaluating. Otherwise I have Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF sitting in the garage but I am reading that it is not compatible with our cars. There are very good reviews on Volvoline Maxlife ATF and you can get a gallon jug for $15.99 at Autozone.
Toyota has to come $7 or less/quart for me to consider it.
Old 03-22-14, 09:50 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is that, unless you are an engineer working for Aisin, you have no way of determining whether it is equal or better than WS, or not. You simply have no data, just opinions.

Last edited by Gene01; 03-22-14 at 09:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-22-14, 09:54 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
The problem is that, unless you are an engineer working for Aisin, you have no way of determining whether it is equal or better than WS, or not. You simply have no data, just opinions.
I 100 percent agree
Old 03-22-14, 10:58 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I am concerned as well that is why I am still evaluating. Otherwise I have Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF sitting in the garage but I am reading that it is not compatible with our cars. There are very good reviews on Volvoline Maxlife ATF and you can get a gallon jug for $15.99 at Autozone.
Toyota has to come $7 or less/quart for me to consider it.
look for the toyota dealer website dealer's specials. also call your local dealer's for a discount if purchasing a case.
Old 03-23-14, 08:46 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The risk using non-Lexus oil just doesn't make sense to me to save a few bucks.
Old 03-23-14, 11:11 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

^-- What jayclapp said !!!
Old 03-24-14, 06:30 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

WS is a good ATF but Maxlife synthetic ATF is also one that you can use. Do a google search and see that many people have used Maxlife ATF in Toyota/Lexus tranny's that called for WS fluid. If I recall, I believe WS is a semi syn and not a full synthetic fluid. You can also go to the "bob is the oil guy" website and pull up a bunch of posts about ATF compatibility...
Old 03-24-14, 07:55 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
WS is a good ATF but Maxlife synthetic ATF is also one that you can use. Do a google search and see that many people have used Maxlife ATF in Toyota/Lexus tranny's that called for WS fluid. If I recall, I believe WS is a semi syn and not a full synthetic fluid. You can also go to the "bob is the oil guy" website and pull up a bunch of posts about ATF compatibility...
Only question I have is that the maxlife is listed to replace both Toyota Type-IV and WS. It seems that Toyota generally says that the fluids are not backward compatible but maxlife is listed for both applications. The only alternative that I've considered was the Amsoil Fuel-Efficient ATF fluid due to the general consensus of the high quality lubricants from Amsoil, the comparable cost to WS, and the "recommendation" for the WS only and not the Type-IV fluid "recommendation" (they have a "higher viscosity" ATF for Type IV).

Some users have generally stated that the WS fluid is not the best in quality but have stuck with it due to the lack of true compatibility or worry of the transmission failing. There was a recent poster on BITOG that stated that his independent lexus master tech only used Amsoil Fuel-Effieicnet ATF in his personal vehicles that came with WS fluid.

Obviously, if Amsoil ATF is being used, the cost issue for WS is not a factor for making the switch but a viewpoint of using a superior lubricant.

Last edited by writes123; 03-24-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 08:05 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

< I love to read "Bob is the oil guy" articles, good stuff! However this "oil" subject is always debated and changing. An example Chrysler has announced that Mobile 1 reg and Syn is no longer recommended to be used in some of their vehicles, because Mobile 1 formula has changed.

Trans Fluid needs to meet the specs the manufacturer recommends. I would happily pay a premium and buy the recommended fluid to be sure my Lexus Vehicles powertrains will last as long as me, until they state otherwise. What's an extra $20 $30-$40 for peace of mind in 60 - 90k miles?

Last edited by Marklouis; 03-24-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 09:27 AM
Stu
Racer

Read on the internet, and if you decide you have discovered an equal ? or superior ? tranny oil, then I wish you good luck. I really do. Enjoy the $40 - $ 50 you save. While you are at it, why not check out about ALL the other fluids and lubricants in your Lexus. You may want to drain them ALL out and replace them too, with something "better".
Old 03-24-14, 11:33 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Read on the internet, and if you decide you have discovered an equal ? or superior ? tranny oil, then I wish you good luck. I really do. Enjoy the $40 - $ 50 you save. While you are at it, why not check out about ALL the other fluids and lubricants in your Lexus. You may want to drain them ALL out and replace them too, with something "better".
I guess Toyota/Lexus makes the best fluids. LOL. OK.

Use WS semi-syn ATF or use a better full synthetic ATF that is of higher quality... Your car your choice.
Old 03-24-14, 11:52 AM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 3 cars where the transmission functioned worse after trying aftermarket brands: V6 Accord, V6 Camry, and V6 Acura RL. I put the top of the line fluid that I could buy at Autozone and could not figure out the decline in performance until I read to use the in-house Honda and Toyota brands. That advice fixed a lot of people's transmissions who thought they were about to go out or 'acting funny'. This has been discussed before, and perhaps technology and research has improved today's top level aftermarket fluids, but I guess I'm just narrow minded on the subject from experience. I wouldn't buy anything but Toyota WS. I'm pretty sure some Acura boards suggest using the Toyota WS as well. How many miles are on your cars that you feel the need to do this? Sjohnson83 has 360K+ on his LS 430 that he drives as a cab in NYC. I would ask him what he has done to keep his vehicle running far longer than the majority of us will see before we move on to another vehicle. The dealership is a good place to ask, too, since they occasionally see incredibly high mileage examples, but I'm guessing none would recommend aftermarket tranny fluid.
Old 03-24-14, 12:56 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by robbyboy32
I've had 3 cars where the transmission functioned worse after trying aftermarket brands: V6 Accord, V6 Camry, and V6 Acura RL. I put the top of the line fluid that I could buy at Autozone and could not figure out the decline in performance until I read to use the in-house Honda and Toyota brands. That advice fixed a lot of people's transmissions who thought they were about to go out or 'acting funny'. This has been discussed before, and perhaps technology and research has improved today's top level aftermarket fluids, but I guess I'm just narrow minded on the subject from experience. I wouldn't buy anything but Toyota WS. I'm pretty sure some Acura boards suggest using the Toyota WS as well. How many miles are on your cars that you feel the need to do this? Sjohnson83 has 360K+ on his LS 430 that he drives as a cab in NYC. I would ask him what he has done to keep his vehicle running far longer than the majority of us will see before we move on to another vehicle. The dealership is a good place to ask, too, since they occasionally see incredibly high mileage examples, but I'm guessing none would recommend aftermarket tranny fluid.
You can add add the Acura Legend to that list. I drove a 1994 before the LS and no one who was active on that cars website would EVER use anything but Honda tranny fluid in the automatic transmission because those that tried to substitute always had issues after.
Old 03-24-14, 01:03 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I guess Toyota/Lexus makes the best fluids. LOL. OK.

Use WS semi-syn ATF or use a better full synthetic ATF that is of higher quality... Your car your choice.
I never said Toyota fluids are "the best", because I have no way of knowing.

If you know a better, full synthetic ATF that is of higher quality, use it - it's your car.
You don't even need to tell me how you determined how it is better, unless by some fluke you happen to be a lubricant engineer and have intimate knowledge of the Lexus transmission requirements. If you are, please fill me in, and I will read what you write and perhaps change my mind.

What fluid do plan on using ?
Old 03-24-14, 08:43 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

"Better" demands data, not just opinions. While BITOG is very interesting, it is not usable evidence that several (or several hundred) owners have used Brand X Miracle Oil (made from genuine snake entrails) to lubricate their quite expensive Automatic Transmissions.
Of course, you are welcome to use your own judgement regarding the fluids you choose to put in your car (or your body, or whatever else you own), but it is just irresponsible to assert that something is "better" for a particular application without test results from a trustworthy lab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 - drain and fill transmission + radiator