LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who has successfully repaired the Chrome Wheel Air Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 10:16 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has successfully repaired the Chrome Wheel Air Leak?

I have factory 18's with the chrome corrosion air leak, which is a known issue with these. What have you guys done that has fixed them for you and stopped the leak? I've searched on this, but the threads have been either just agreeing that there's a problem or suggesting to completely refinish them, which seems a shame since the outward facing bits all look perfect.
Old 03-16-14, 02:04 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
I have factory 18's with the chrome corrosion air leak, which is a known issue with these. What have you guys done that has fixed them for you and stopped the leak? I've searched on this, but the threads have been either just agreeing that there's a problem or suggesting to completely refinish them, which seems a shame since the outward facing bits all look perfect.
Its not the outside that's the problem. Its the inside. Your tire needs to come off and the area needs sanded, cleaned, and then resealed. And then it still may leak.
Old 03-16-14, 03:11 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the old idea of submerging the inflated tire in a large tub of water as you slowly rotate it so every area gets submerged 12 inches at a time? That has always worked for me. Use one of those large galvanized tub or even a kiddie pool if it's over 10 inches deep.
At one point you'll see the small steady stream of bubbles pointing the way to the leak.
If it's the stem or the Schrader valve inside - that's easy, just replace them.
If it's leaking from a bit of porosity in the body of the wheel itself, I would first try a piece of tape on it from the inside and see if that stops it. If it does, a wheel shop can fix it for you. They epoxy or weld the spot and you're done - a few hundred bucks worst case. In the California Bay Area Rite Way Wire and Wheel in the Walnut Creek area is recommended but there are good shops all over the country. That shouldn't be expensive.

If you have a tire warranty, many tire shops and Costco offer this, then bring it in there and explain that it's leaking. They'll do the tub rotation thing for you. Maybe for free as part of the service they provide.
Old 03-16-14, 08:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

its a fairly easy fix, you will have to have the tires removed, and then use a combination of a wire wheel drill attachment and a grinding stone attachment and just go to town on the inner lips. .

finish off with some sandpaper and your leak should be gone.
Old 03-16-14, 08:56 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If all else fails, you could try tire slime.
Old 03-17-14, 01:12 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RushNatU
If all else fails, you could try tire slime.
Tire slim has been known to cause the TPS sensor in the wheels to go bad. It can also cause balancing issues. I wouldn't use that stuff.
Old 03-17-14, 03:14 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by daddykay24

Tire slim has been known to cause the TPS sensor in the wheels to go bad. It can also cause balancing issues. I wouldn't use that stuff.
The LS doesn't have TPMS in the wheels.

Randy B
Old 03-17-14, 03:18 PM
Randy B
Advanced

I've done this repair. On 3 out of 4 rims. The hardest problem you're going to have, is the corrosion usually goes deep on the inner bead well. Once you grind all that out with some type of media sander, you then have to get some etching primer to fill in the holes. Multiple coats of etching primer will build up the lip to get it back to a uniform level . That will help it make a seal on the bead.

All that being said, I only had success on 2 out of 3 rims. The hardest problem was that the corrosion pics were too deep and the etching primer just won't hold for a tire change. The other thing is, once you balance wheels again you will need to only use glue on weights as you can no longer use clamp-on weights or the same problem will occur either on the etching primer or in a new spot that wasn't primed.

Randy B
Old 03-17-14, 04:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

well if you want to really get into it you can run a bead of body filler with your finger along the inside of the lip after uve grinded, to make it perfectly even , then sand it spray it with a sealer or primer.

But if your just looking to get rid of the leak for a while till u get some new wheels just peeling and grinding out the inner lips works fine.

by the time the inside is peeling the outside is probably peeling too, which means u will need new wheels soon enough
Old 03-17-14, 05:32 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well if you want to really get into it you can run a bead of body filler with your finger along the inside of the lip after uve grinded, to make it perfectly even , then sand it spray it with a sealer or primer.

But if your just looking to get rid of the leak for a while till u get some new wheels just peeling and grinding out the inner lips works fine.

by the time the inside is peeling the outside is probably peeling too, which means u will need new wheels soon enough
You are not understanding the issue based on your post. The inner bead is the issue not the outside of the inner wheel or the pretty front side of the rim. It has to do with water penetrating where the inside wheel weights are banged on with a hammer for balancing. The outside weights are glued on. The inside weights bite into the chrome finish and allow water and corrosion to occur. Over a period of time, they essentially look like cavities where they drill down into the rim on the bead area of the lip. The pretty side of the rim does not have this problem.

Randy B
Old 03-17-14, 05:39 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Randy B
You are not understanding the issue based on your post. The inner bead is the issue not the outside of the inner wheel or the pretty front side of the rim. It has to do with water penetrating where the inside wheel weights are banged on with a hammer for balancing. The outside weights are glued on. The inside weights bite into the chrome finish and allow water and corrosion to occur. Over a period of time, they essentially look like cavities where they drill down into the rim on the bead area of the lip. The pretty side of the rim does not have this problem.

Randy B
oh I see , so the problem isn't the corrosion on the inside of the lip, causing the air to leak ? Gee what was I thinking

tell us more
Old 03-17-14, 06:23 PM
losrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyones right for me I took mine to a tire shop and let them remove tire from rims, did the sand and prep clean everything off and when i took it back to the tire shop I let them put bead rim sealer on it. Also u may need to weld if theres hole from the corrosion that ate through the rim. Tire shop uses sticky tape weight on mine. Inside of rims.
Old 03-17-14, 08:29 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by losrx
I think everyones right for me I took mine to a tire shop and let them remove tire from rims, did the sand and prep clean everything off and when i took it back to the tire shop I let them put bead rim sealer on it. Also u may need to weld if theres hole from the corrosion that ate through the rim. Tire shop uses sticky tape weight on mine. Inside of rims.
Roughly how much did that service run you?
Old 03-20-14, 03:47 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get some 20's
Old 03-21-14, 08:46 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tjwashow
just get some 20's
I'm currently on 20's, and would like to move to the factory 18's. The 20's are too harsh on Iowa roads.