LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

trip to the Lexus dealer- 90,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 07:00 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default trip to the Lexus dealer- 90,000 mile service

l plan to keep my LS for a least another 5 years, so I am planning to take it to my local Lexus dealer for service.

I may try getting a quote from an independent shop. Not prepared to buy the parts online and get quotes for labor only, plus I can't do any of this work myself so ....

Planning the following :

timing belt
water pump,
2 idlers ( not sure what these are )
serpentine drive belt
new thermostat & gasket
replace radiator coolant
new spark plugs
drain and fill transmission fluid
drain and fill differential

Am I missing anything ?

$ 2,090 + tax. Breakdown is $ 1,233 for Labor and $ 857 for parts

Canadian prices are higher than the US .... and I got these prices after calling in and speaking to the Service Manager.

Comments ?
Old 03-10-14, 09:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

that's great your getting all that done , but the price is definitely on the high side

Im not sure where you are in the city but if you need a reliable independent mechanic , my guy is great and ive known him for almost 10 years.(Bathurst and st clair)

You should be able to cut that price down a lot
Old 03-10-14, 10:40 PM
Stu
Racer

The prices came from Ken Shaw Lexus. Lexus service ( all dealer service ) is expensive.

I would be very interested in talking to your guy as I am a 5 minute walk from Bathurst and St Clair.
Old 03-11-14, 04:37 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

oh that's great stu we are in the same area , his name is Eric Hercules , and his shop is called Hercules automotive , the address is 78 Vaughan street.

He was originally in the Annex area on Dupont st, but he bought a new shop up near st clair a few years ago , and its doing great , hes a super honest guy , and he does great work , ive even went to church with him a few times.

Honestly I know you said you don't want to but the best way is to actually buy some or all of the parts and pay for the labour ,,,all mechanics and shops mark up the prices if they order it for you, in many cases they don't even know where to find oem parts for discount prices like we can.

I live 2 minutes from there so I can introduce you to him if you like, if not just tell him you were reffered to by ***** with the lexus , and he will know who you your talking about.

The timing belt and water pump are the biggest part of all that , the plugs are literally 30 minutes , the drain and refill of fluids no big deal ,,few pulleys and idlers also no big deal .
Old 03-11-14, 04:41 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

also is Ken shaw the guys on st clair near keele?

Ive had a bad experience with them there back with my sc400
Old 03-11-14, 04:57 AM
Stu
Racer

*****, thanks for the info, I will check him out for sure. Yup, Ken Shaw Lexus is at Keele St. and St Clair.
Old 03-11-14, 05:40 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks like you're missing the cam seals on the TB job...I don't see those listed.
Idler looks like this...

http://www.factorylexusparts.com/catalog/LSIDLER2.jpg
Old 03-11-14, 06:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The spark plug replacement interval on the ones sold in the US is 120K miles. Same in Canada? There is no benefit in replacing them early. My original plugs still looked and performed like new when replaced at 120K miles.
Old 03-11-14, 07:28 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Toronto, you're close enough to drive into the US to get it done aren't you? I know you're a reasonable time away, you could make a weekend of it.
Old 03-11-14, 09:42 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would try and establish a good independent shop to get service from here on out. It just doesn't make much financial sense to keep getting Lexus dealer service on a car that's got around 100k miles. I could easily see a good independent shop shaving a thousand dollars off of that quote. Just make sure it's not some "chain" type shop, ask around and get good references.

Despite being a "flagship" car, these are very straightforward to work on. About the only service on that list I would go to a dealership for would be the transmission fluid change, I believe you may need a special Lexus scanner for the sealed transmission, but don't quote me on that.
Old 03-11-14, 10:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Looks like you're missing the cam seals on the TB job...I don't see those listed.
Idler looks like this...

Cam seals are not recommended until the 2nd TB job or 200k miles.
Old 03-11-14, 10:43 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Legender
Idler looks like this...

thanks

Originally Posted by Kansas
The spark plug replacement interval on the ones sold in the US is 120K miles. Same in Canada? There is no benefit in replacing them early. My original plugs still looked and performed like new when replaced at 120K miles.
Mine is a US car that was imported into Canada and I will wait another year for this .... and you just "saved" me $ 368 + tax... Thanks !

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
Toronto, you're close enough to drive into the US to get it done aren't you? I know you're a reasonable time away, you could make a weekend of it.
I thought about getting the serving done when I was in Florida, but didn't think I would save that much after paying the exchange on the Canadian dollar. If I went to Buffalo, how much do you think that would save ? .... probably once I pay for a hotel and gas its probably not much of a savings ..... and if I had to go back for any reason, it would be a big hassle.

Originally Posted by BradTank
I would try and establish a good independent shop to get service from here on out. It just doesn't make much financial sense to keep getting Lexus dealer service on a car that's got around 100k miles. I could easily see a good independent shop shaving a thousand dollars off of that quote. Just make sure it's not some "chain" type shop, ask around and get good references.

Despite being a "flagship" car, these are very straightforward to work on. About the only service on that list I would go to a dealership for would be the transmission fluid change, I believe you may need a special Lexus scanner for the sealed transmission, but don't quote me on that.
Save $ 1,000 by letting an independent do it ? Seems too good to be true. I guess this means me buying all the parts at a discount and paying the shop for labor only ? I plan to visit *****'s guy ... and see what he can do.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Cam seals are not recommended until the 2nd TB job or 200k miles.
I am years away from this service then
Old 03-14-14, 09:15 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2001 LS430 getting 90,000 mile work done today.
Just heard from the shop that I have a Valve Cover leak. Tad surprised by this & looking for other occurrences here??

After I typed this his smart phone pics arrived to confirm.

Last edited by damon; 03-14-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 10:06 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to install and cost ~20 dollars for parts (each IIRC). Make sure you don't force anything as you can rip the gasket on while installing and dont over tighten the bolts.. You need an extension and a swivel 14mm (or 12mm) socket. I swapped mine out 8-10 months ago and forgot which size the bolts are

Edit: should be a 10mm (Thanks 99lsBrad!)

Last edited by tcr101; 03-14-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 10:37 AM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my 90,000 mile service last week. Lexus dealer (parts & labor) quoted $1,300 +.

I decided to purchase the parts myself (all OEM) mostly on-line.

Aisin Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump TKT-021, includes matched idler and tensioner bearings, gaskets and o-rings.

2-gallons Toyota Super Long Life coolant.

Toyota thermostat, gasket, o-ring and drive (serpentine belt).

Total parts; $ 309.63

Local NAPA Auto service shop supplied the labor: $ 354.59

Total cost: $ 664.22

The mechanic that performed the work had previously worked for a local Toyota dealer for several years and was very familiar with the Lexus engine.

Quick Reply: trip to the Lexus dealer- 90,000 mile service