LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

VSC traction off light comes on periodically

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 01:06 PM
Hamstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC traction off light comes on periodically

I have a 2004 lexus LS 430. Recently, the VSC and Traction off light has been coming on. I have viewed the various threads on this problem. It would appear that several problems could cause these warning lights to come on. Loose gas cap (which I have checked and found no cracks and have tightened securely), faulty senors, faulty catalytic convertor, leaking exhaust system. Can anyone explain why these problems would cause the VSC and traction control systems to stop working! I suspect this was built into the software of the motherboard in the car. These are important safety features that should continue to work whether the gas cap is loose or not! In the past, the light would go out over a couple of days. But in this bad winter we are experiencing with alot of snow and ice the VSC that traction control being off makes a huge difference in the way the car handles. One would think that lexus would correct this problem if it is purely a software issue. Can anyone give me anymore insight into this problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-14, 06:21 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Software issue =) Cracked me up. Your car is broken, scan the codes.
Old 03-09-14, 09:06 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Software issue =) Cracked me up. Your car is broken, scan the codes.
Yes. VSC / ABS / SRS codes usually can't be read by cheap OBD II scanners. You may need to take it to the dealer or a shop that has a reader capable of pulling these non-standard codes.

Either take it in or use a paper clip to jumper the correct pins on your obdii connector. Maybe Lynzoid can show you a diagram. I was having this same problem though my "Check VSC" and "ABS" lights were on.

I was getting other symptoms - "Headlight Levelling" warnings and my sunroof opening without warning while driving. I found a significant amount of corrosion on the positive terminal of my battery, which I cleaned up. The messages have gone away since.

However, I have now found that my battery is being drained when the car is off. I suspect a bad battery or electrical short maybe be responsible.
Old 03-30-14, 07:49 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have the same issue . check VSC light will come on periodically. A New car battery fixed the issue. These 430s become very glitchy when the battery is old.
Old 04-05-14, 03:37 PM
Hamstring
Driver School Candidate

I would like to start off and thank everyone for their reply and input. The scanned code was P0430. The dealership found that there was a leak in the exhaust and that the catalytic converters were not working properly. This required replacement of the "Y" exhaust pipe and several gaskets. Not Cheap!? Cost $1368 (Canadian dollars). Lynzoid seemd to have a good laugh over my comments. However, I find it very troubling that a high end vehicle electronic/motherboard system would be set up to shut down the VSC and turn off the traction control off when there are other mechanical problems--such as an exhaust leak or a cracked gas cap or loose gas cap. Vehicle stability control and traction control are extremely important safety features, which in my opinion, should not shut down as a result of other mechanical issues! You don't realize how important these safety features are until you have to drive in icy/snowy weather and the VSC and traction control are not working. Instead of shutting down these important safety systems one would think that the electronics would be set up to turn on a "Check Engine" light. IF there is some real important mechanical reason as to why the VSC and traction control are shut down by other non related mechanical problems (such as an exhaust leak of poorly functioning catalytic converter or loose gas cap), I would sure appreciate being enlighted as to the logic or reasoning behind this "set up" in the electronics of this vehicle. I wonder if all the lexus vehicles are set up this way? Food for thought! Thanks!
Old 05-08-14, 06:57 PM
baker819
Driver School Candidate

Hamstring - So did you need up replacing the cats too? Along with the pipe and gaskets? Just doubling checking, because you said they were bad but than didn't mention them in the list of parts replaced. Though you did list the cost which seemed like the cats were replaced.