LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

GROM BT3 for wireless streaming audio review

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 02:42 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts
Default GROM BT3 for wireless streaming audio review

Installed it today in my 2004 LS430 ML with Nav/ML. Already had a Vaistech MML and it worked well, but I didn't like having to run a wire beside my seat and keep it plugged in. So, I found the GROM BT3 below.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_a...e_adapter.html

The main reason I wanted this product is because I wanted wireless audio streaming. I can use a cigarette lighter charger if I need to juice up, but always having to be connected to play my tunes on my iPhone 5 was annoying. I also wanted to keep the use of the factory CD changer and keep factory Bluetooth for phone calls. Even though the BT3 comes with a mic and will do Bluetooth for calls, I wanted to continue using the factory. The tech at GROM actually said this was preferred for cars that already have hand free calling. I also wanted something that would work well with the factory ML system, and would allow me to keep use of the steering wheel control.

The install was actually easier and cleaner than the Vaistech. Due to it's size, I had to put it in the glove box and run wireless for both the connection to the radio and the iPhone. It also used the big plug on the back of the radio. The BT3 uses the smaller plug that runs between the CD changer and the main radio. The BT3 came with 2 sets of wires, and the smaller one worked perfected. Just plug the CD connector into the GROM female connector, and the GROM male connector into the back of the radio where the CD formerly connected. Then connect the GROM unit to the wiring harness, and you are ready to go. Very easy. I placed it right below the radio on the left hand side so that it would clear the drawer that pops out below the CD player. Everything went back perfectly. No need to force anything. Nobody would even know it was there.

So, how does it work? Pretty much exactly as I wanted it to work. I was able to connect for wireless audio streaming, and leave hands free with the factory ML/Nav system. I can still use my factory CD player, and the buttons on the steering wheel still work. Connect once, and you don't have to do it again. The next time you get in the car, it connects automatically the my phone for audio streaming, and the factory hands free connects without issue too. I honestly can't tell difference in sound quality between the connected Vaistech and the Bluetooth of the GROM. Very good quality. I test drove for 15 minutes or so, and the signal never dropped and the quality never varied.

Negatives? Only 2, and neither bother me. The first time you open the music app that you are playing, there is a slight pop through the speakers. Happened with both the Apple music app and the Pandora app. Nothing big, but I did want to mention it. The other negative is that the nav audio display says "BT Stream" instead of the album and song. Might be a newer firmware version that does it, but I didn't check, and I probably won't. My display defaults to the nav, so I don't even use that screen.

So far, it seems like a great purchase. Very happy with the limited use. I will give an update after using it for a while and include any positives or negatives that may arise.

Last edited by Bob04; 03-01-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 04:13 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROM BT3 vs VAISECH

Surprised; whom ever intalled your VASITECH did not inquire as to were you wanted it installed. This is what I mean, majority of us have VAISTECH users have the wire running into our dashboard glovebox; reasoning no wirer showing. The display is excellent ; you see what is playing and there is no POP! But to eaches own.... as they say.

Enjoy the GROM BT3, if it meets your satisfaction.

Last edited by Tmarbury; 03-03-14 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-03-14, 02:43 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a '02 UL and want to add Bluetooth for my I-Phone 5S. Has anyone had experience with this unit or others (such as Vais) in an '02?

GROM's compatibility chart is confusing saying their unit only works in non-US '01 to '03's but I seem to remember posts that contradict that. I will search, in the meantime any info is appreciated.
Old 03-03-14, 06:54 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tmarbury
Surprised; whom ever intalled your VASITECH did not inquire as to were you wanted it installed. This is what I mean, majority of us have VAISTECH users have the wire running into our dashboard glovebox; reasoning no wirer showing. The display is excellent ; you see what is playing and there is no POP! But to eaches own.... as they say.

Enjoy the GROM BT3, if it meets your satisfaction.
I installed it, and the Vaistech box was in my glovebox. All the wires between the Vaistech and the radio were hidden behind the radio. But I had to have a way to connect to my iPhone. The power cord with the lightning connector was connected to the USB cord. It ran behind the radio and down the center console, poking out between the driver's seat and the center console.

With the GROM, there are no wires connected to the phone at all.
Old 03-04-14, 11:47 PM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, understand now, cannot make phone calls through the bluetooth (no iPhone connection). Make sense now. However, I am looking into the GROM for my wife vehicle, she would love it. Only on CL!!!! Hope it warms up soon!!!!
Old 03-05-14, 05:35 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

The GROM BT3 unit does support phone calls through bluetooth for the iPhone, but I wanted to keep using the factory hands free connection. I just wanted wireless audio streaming because the wire required by the Vaistech was annoying.

On a side note, I might be able to keep the Vaistech and GROM BT3 both connected to my radio and keep the factory CD. In theory, since it connects through different plugs, it think the head unit might handle it as if it has 3 external CD players. Might have to give that a try, just to see if it would work.
Old 03-06-14, 07:40 AM
tjwashow
Rookie

this is cool and would definitely help me with the bluetooth phone calls. I have 01 UL and need bluetooth legally in my state. and its very affordable.
Old 03-11-14, 06:54 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

Thanks for the info Bob04. I want the same setup you have - retain factory cell phone integration, and add bluetooth audio streaming.

However, I also want to add a hard-wired ipod to the mix. It looks like I can do this with the GROM BT3 and the ipod accessory cable? Anyone have this same setup?

I don't want to spend the $500 it would take for the multiple vaistech products it would take to do this unless I absolutely have to, and after a little research, it looks like this GROM device with the ipod cable meets my needs.

How is this better/worse than the GROM USB2 unit with bluetooth dongle? And why can't they just make one box that does both? Seems soooo very simple, but I'm sure it's not...
Old 03-12-14, 09:26 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have any experience with the GROM or VAISTECH units personally but I have tried multiple Bluetooth streaming head units and devices in other vehicles. My problem has always been that Bluetooth compresses the music and degrades the sound quality dramatically. It's fine for phone conversations but with a nice sound system, you can hear everything, and it sounds like crap compared to a hard wired connection. It sure would be nice to wirelessly stream without compromise.
Old 03-23-14, 06:29 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

Just placed my order for this device with the ipod cable and the aux in/USB charging cable.

Thanks for the info and the review.
Old 03-23-14, 07:28 PM
MrShirls
Driver School Candidate

Bob, I too like what you have found for the cars, I am going to use the same setup... Where in SC are you... Upstate, Piedmont, or low country?
Old 03-29-14, 02:17 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

I can vouch for the quality of this unit. I installed it today, took about 45 mins, sound quality is excellent whether streaming bluetooth or connected via the ipod cable. I love how the bluetooth audio pauses the hard wired ipod if I switch over. I didn't install the mic for the phone interface, as I am fine with the built in bluetooth phone solution.

My unit also displays "BT STREAM" instead of artist/track on the audio screen. Still need to figure out how to use it besides disc 1 mode (ipod direct mode) but I may not bother - I can control via the ipod itself and the steering wheel buttons for tracks. Will probably set up a few playlists as they recommend to map to discs 2-6 on the changer controls.

This device is exactly what I wanted - bluetooth streaming audio and ipod hard wire capability - in one unit. For the price, you can't beat it.
Old 03-29-14, 02:21 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

What year is your LS? I am wondering if you or any other CL members have installed it in a 2001 to 2003 LS. I would like to give it a try in my '02 UL. I have the unit and am waiting until the weather gets a little warmer so I can work outside more comfortably.
Old 03-29-14, 02:23 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

I installed it in my 2006 with nav/Mark levinson. I think it's a modern luxury level?
Old 03-29-14, 09:23 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With Nav & Mark Levinson, it is at least a Modern Luxury. It could also be a Custom Luxury or Ultra Luxury.
If there are no headlight washers, you do have a Modern Luxury car.

Quick Reply: GROM BT3 for wireless streaming audio review