LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for guidance once again from my fellow CL peeps!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 12:00 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for guidance once again from my fellow CL peeps!

Howdy all.

Looking into an LS430 for sure within the next month (maybe sooner) and looking for some opinions on the 3 LS' that I am willing to purchase if I had to today.

First LS:
Color: Black/Black
Mileage: 60k Miles
Price: 22k

Pros: All maint is done and up to date through the dealership. This is definitely the 'buy it and you won't have anything to do until 90k' car.

Cons: None other than the price.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...64202767&Log=0

Second LS:
Color: Black/Black
Mileage: 120k
Price: 16k

Pros: Maint is mainly up to date through the dealership. 90k was done and 110k service was done also.

Cons: Interior looks like it may be a little rougher than I would like. It may just need a good cleaning, but i've seen better. Also in the pics the plastic under the nav screen is really scratched up and that would annoy the s*** out of me. It's also stated that the caster bushings up front are torn and 'leaked fluid' and that the R/R (assuming that means passenger rear) shock needs to be replaced.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...63659071&Log=0

Third LS:
Color: Millenium Silver/Black
Mileage: 109k
Price: 13k

Pros: Interior looks great and the wood is definitely attractive and something I haven't seen before on the LS430. LED interior upgrade and aftermarket exhaust tips (not sure if it's an actual exhaust or just tips, but I like it). My payments would be much lower than the other two even without a down payment.

Cons: No OEM wheels, this isn't a huge problem, but more of an annoyance to have to source a set for the car and then sell the current wheels. The 90k service also hasn't been done. I do have a friend that can do it as side work for cheaper than dealership pricing probably as he works at Sewell and is willing to do work for me no questions asked, but if someone went almost 20k without the 90k it makes me wonder how much the car is actually cared for? Then again they could have had it done away from the dealer so they don't pay premium price.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...61574243&Log=0

Now I haven't seen ANY of these cars in person yet or inspected them myself. Just food for thought that still needs to be done, but I am looking for you guys perspective and what you would do in this situation. I am planning to do at least a 3-5k down payment on one of these cars once all items from my GS are sold and it's mainly back to stock form. That is of course if they're still available for sale and nothing else pops up in a months time.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to join you guys in the LS forum very very soon.
Old 02-20-14, 04:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Personally, I think purchasing a 430 right around the 100k mark with all the maintenance done is a good move. Considering how many miles these cars will go, 60k vs 100k is really nothing. Also, be very careful about small dealerships. They are notorious for shady dealings. The big ones are bad enough but at least they have to attempt to maintain their reputations.

First two look pretty good. The third has aftermarket wheels and I think the wood trim is not oem. Do you know about joining Lexus Drivers and entering the vin to see the dealer service history? Also, Autocheck the car before you buy.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-20-14 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 05:02 AM
mncz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check some of the sticky threads- I'm pretty sure different wood options are available beyond the base LS model. I think it's OEM wood trim.

I say that because something about the grey one, from the exterior, makes it really cool looking. So something special about the interior only adds to that.
Old 02-20-14, 06:13 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You are right. After looking more closely it is oem wood trim. I've seen many cheap trim kits and it looked similar to this but I see now that all the wood in the car is the same. That color is new to me.

Are you willing to travel to get the car? It will open up more options. Look at this beauty. Only 35k miles:

Link

or

Link

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-20-14 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 08:37 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

1st car is a modern luxury trim. Looks to be in good shape.

2nd car is custom luxury trim with headlamp washers, power door closers, upgraded leather & headliner, etc.

3rd car is modern luxury and the lighting may be making the wood look weird.

Get the service history of each. I'd probably go for the 1st car with the much lower mileage.
Old 02-20-14, 08:38 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You are right. After looking more closely it is oem wood trim. I've seen many cheap trim kits and it looked similar to this but I see now that all the wood in the car is the same. That color is new to me.

Are you willing to travel to get the car? It will open up more options. Look at this beauty. Only 35k miles:

Link

or

Link
Yes sir I am on Lexus Owners. That's how I knew about all of their maint.

I'm not willing to go that far and am unable to. Trying to keep it under 20k if possible. I have school M-F and work on the weekends so traveling to get a car is kind out of the question, but that one in FL is a beauty! Someone should def pick that up.
Old 02-20-14, 08:40 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
1st car is a modern luxury trim. Looks to be in good shape.

2nd car is custom luxury trim with headlamp washers, power door closers, upgraded leather & headliner, etc.

3rd car is modern luxury and the lighting may be making the wood look weird.

Get the service history of each. I'd probably go for the 1st car with the much lower mileage.
I probably should have posted it in the first post. ML, CL, or UL. It doesn't matter to me to be honest, everything i'm personally looking for in my LS is in the ML model. I think even the base model has everything I want for the most part other than Mark L and Nav. I've gotten the service history on each, the things that would need to be done are posted in the 'Cons' under each car.

Thank you for your opinion, so far looks like the 1st is taking the cake.
Old 02-20-14, 08:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The CL's seem to be the best of both worlds. I like the air suspension but it is something to consider when they have issues. I took care of that worry by purchasing a whole set of backup air shocks for a great deal.
Old 02-20-14, 09:07 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The CL's seem to be the best of both worlds. I like the air suspension but it is something to consider when they have issues. I took care of that worry by purchasing a whole set of backup air shocks for a great deal.
Yeah that's what a friend of mine was saying that CL is great. I'm going to go look at #1 here today. I'm sure it's in immaculate condition, but still want to take a gander at it.

That's what I said I would do if I got a UL. I'd have to replace the air which is partly why i'm turning away from them. I do plan to do a little something to the LS, but I don't want to have to rush into anything like that.
Old 02-20-14, 10:57 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same exact boat you are a few months back shopping for the right one. Had many choices of 04-06 cars in 14-22k range from 50-100k miles with all ranges of service records. In the end I picked the cleanest one owner with all lexus records and paid up for piece of mind and a few extra grand for something you'll have for 5 years plus is nothing. I'd go with the first one you listed and not look back. I negotiated pretty hard and got my 05 with 60k for 20k out the door so you might have some room in there.
Old 02-20-14, 12:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

comwes down to your budget, forsure the first one is the best choice, but me personally I would go for number 3, decent mileage and decent price as well.

good luck
Old 02-20-14, 04:34 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
comwes down to your budget, forsure the first one is the best choice, but me personally I would go for number 3, decent mileage and decent price as well.

good luck
I agree... #1 will put you at ease for a long time before you'll possibly need to address something. But it may also keep you from being able to do certain things that you'd want because of the monthly cost.

#3 comes in much lower and with you having the hook up on work getting done it'll be easier to pay for that work. Plus you prob would end up buying new rims regardless of the one you pick at some point. I think #3 would open up the opportunity for you to spend some money that you'd have available that may not be with option #1.

But... if you plan on doing nothing for the next year or two... I'd get option #1 and talk that price down. $19k
Old 02-20-14, 05:14 PM
Stumblebum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the first one. I really wish my new low mile LS was not silver. Black looks the best.
Old 02-20-14, 08:35 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the input guys.

I went and saw #1 today and all I gotta say is I almost came in my pants when I pulled up. It was GORGEOUS inside and out. So gorgeous, got a test drive and it was so smooth and nice. I loved it. Ended up going inside and talking about price and all, but to be honest it may be a bit more than I expected as far as payments. With a 5k down payment my monthly on a 60 month term would be at the lowest $330 a month. It may not sound bad at all, but I was just let go from work at the end of January and am doing 'project' work right now but nothing solid as of yet which makes me leery of a payment like that. Plus I don't have the 5k yet, so it'll be a wait before I could scoop that one.

I do like the idea of having a little more money to wiggle with and do some modifying if anything. I talked to my friend from Sewell today about the silver one and he said he has seen LS's go until 160k/170k on the original timing belt no problem.

So here is where i'm at. Depending on the condition of the Silver LS I may go with that one. Thinking about it this way, with the black one I get a car with 40k less miles, but have to drop 5k up front and have a 300 payment for the term and not much wiggle room to do any modifying if any. With the Silver LS I could walk out without a down payment and worse case scenario do the 90k maint and change all fluids and anything else through my buddy for probably 1-2k and that wouldn't have to be done RIGHT away. Plus my payments would only be around 200, so the Silver looks like the winner if it's in immaculate condition. I will be going and checking it out tomorrow to figure out exactly what I want to do.

I'll keep you guys posted
Old 02-21-14, 10:00 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Went and saw the other two LS' today...

So first I went and checked out the silver one (#3 on the list) and I was HIGHLY impressed. I really didn't expect much but this millennium silver popped in the sun. I was loving it and the interior was still very well taken care of. Took it for a test drive and a pulley started to squeak, so I brought it back and they said they would get that fixed today regardless if I was buying or not. Great small dealership, no pressure and eager to answer all my questions and work with me. I think this one is well worth buying and getting the 90k done through my buddy. Plus it has a set of magna flows installed that give it a nice tone.

On my way back I stopped at the other dealership to check out LS #2.. The other black on black for 15k. In a nutshell lets just say I will NEVER step foot in a Honda dealership again especially that one. Autonation Honda of Lewisville for anyone wondering. Everything was fine for the most part, but the salesman just seemed like a jerk from the get go and I told him I was just looking at the moment. Anyways after the test drive and all I went inside and asked him if we could go over monthly payments with a 3k-5k down payment. He gets the numbers for me and we start talking then I remind him that this gives me great figures to look at since i'm still trying to make a decision between the candidates. Immediately he was like "Wait... So you're not buying today?" and I told him no, I am merely narrowing down my candidates so that I can figure out which one is the best buy for me. It seemed like this was hard for him to fathom as he made a face like "Who does that.." anyways he was like "So when do you plan to buy this car?" I told him i'm not sure it could be the first or second week of March if anything as i'm still waiting to finish parting out my current car to help with the down payment. He then made ANOTHER face and RUDELY said "So you don't even have this money?" and I said "Not at the moment no, because I am selling off parts from my other car that will be used for the down payment." Immediately from there the conversation went to s*** and I was seriously offended by that question. Basically he was asking me in the way that I was a joke and that I wasted all of his time when I told him from the get go that I was just looking.

Anyways as soon as I shook his hand and walked out I cursed as many times as possible until I felt better due to the insult. After that I lost all interest in that LS, so that one is out the window. No way in hell I will give them my business after that.

Anyways... It looks like the silver one is the one i'm going to go for. Hoping for the best and that I can get it. I'm very excited and want to get this thing in my hands to drive daily.

Quick Reply: Looking for guidance once again from my fellow CL peeps!