LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!

Old 02-13-14, 09:33 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!

Let me say that I just bought a cpo 11 rx350 for my wife and 4 month old child to get around in. I figured what better vehicle than this for them. Well, I test drove it for 5 Min on a smooth road. Felt smooth enough. After getting to know this suv for a little while, I really feel that my very first Lexus, my beloved 430, has spoiled me, and given me a false sense of what all Lexus vehicles should be.

The RX is nowhere near as well crafted as my LS. It is loud, rides like its on rocks at 32psi, even with brand new michelin latitudes, and just can't compare.. After driving the rx to work this week and having a couple of days off and getting back into my LS, I realized just how I would have to drive this car into the ground, as there will never be another car built like this again, because Lexus is, and I don't think ever will be, the great automaker it once was.

It's obvious that lex has gone to the tech side, and has forgotten how, or doesn't care to build a solid vehicle. The remaining compelling reason to buy one is the service dept.....but it looks like Lexus is loosing site and becoming just like any other car. I'm actually disappointed with the Rx quality.. You can feel it as soon as you shift through the gear selector- it has no smooth dampened feel like the LS, instead it is cheap and very notchy feeling. It rattles like a ****! Garbage.

Here on the LS forums we have such little issues. Our rattle problems can be fixed with shin etsu grease, haha. I Don't think there is a panel on my rx that doesn't have a rattle problem. I will have to seek and destroy them. A joke- for sure.

I'm shocked at all the five star reviews for the current rx," smooth quiet ride" whaa?!
Are these people for real ? Is it that all current cars/suv's suck so badly now, that the rx 's kidney killing ride is considered plush?

I admit, I didn't test drive other suv's, simply because I wanted to stay in the Lexus family, and love my service dept. It SEEMED like a no brainer...

The only thing that is a no brainer is keeping my LS!
Old 02-13-14, 10:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

ive trolled the rx forums a little bit,,they have a whole host of issues that we don't have to deal with ,,from tranny issues, to noise, to a bunch of other stuff I don't remember right now.
Old 02-14-14, 04:46 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Comparing RX to LS is a little harsh. I have a '99 RX and just like the newer Lexus' the older ones rode softer. My RX is a mush box. Compared to my '10 Mdx which feels like a it's riding on Flintstone rock wheels.
Old 02-14-14, 07:30 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I traded my LS430 for a 2013 GS350 AWD and felt that the GS was about as solid and well-built as the LS. The GS was more sporty in ride and handling and, for me, was just too small. I ended up trading in the GS and my LX for a Honda Ridgeline.

Someday, I'd like to find a 50 MPG near-luxury hybrid sedan to replace my Prius.
Old 02-14-14, 07:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Comparing RX to LS is a little harsh. I have a '99 RX and just like the newer Lexus' the older ones rode softer. My RX is a mush box. Compared to my '10 Mdx which feels like a it's riding on Flintstone rock wheels.
You're probably right. I guess I'm out of touch with the way current vehicles ride. I guess it's the flavor of the times.
Old 02-14-14, 08:04 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the same feelings as you. I have an RX350 and my 430 and I really try not to drive the RX. Everybody that rides in the RX says how smooth it is and what a nice car and I just sit there and think to myself "you haven't felt my LS430 yet"...I know its not exactly an apples to apples comparison but I did originally buy my RX because of my love for my previous 2001 LS430 and my current 2006 LS430.
Old 02-14-14, 09:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's my rant.

I would say 90% of the issue with newer Lexus riding harsher than the older ones is the fact that rim sizes have exploded in size, especially on high end luxury cars. 17" rims USED to be considered an upgraded size usually found on sports cars, now many automakers are going to 18" to 20" rims as standard on sedans and SUVs.

For whatever reason, the ghetto style of giant rims has now become something that's "supposed" to come on high end luxury cars.

If you put that RX on say 16" rims, it would be a really smooth and comfortable ride. The ES I had before the LS came with 15" rims, and it rode like a magic carpet ride, smoother and quieter than my LS despite it being a much larger and heavier car with more insulation. As a contrast, I drove a new loaner Lexus ES with the 18" rims, it rode terrible, even with Michelin tires. I also got a loaner for a Camry (basically the same car) but had 16" rims, it rode SO much better, and was so much quieter. It's ridiculous that a base level Camry had a smoother, quieter ride than the Lexus counterpart.

They've done studies on rim size and handling, and a car actually handles worse once you start getting above 17". It's also slower and gets worse fuel economy as a result of the extra weight. Replacement tires are also MUCH more expensive.

The bigger rim trend is all about cosmetics, it's a look that I frankly think is ridiculous, but each to their own. For the few people that want huge rims, let them buy them in the aftermarket, not make us all suffer. If the next Lexus I buy comes with rims over 17", the first thing I'll probably do is buy smaller rims because I buy a Lexus for a smooth and comfortable driving experience, not to impress 19 year olds.

End rant.
Old 02-14-14, 12:11 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

I tend to agree with BradTank. Especially on any rim size >17". I actually bought a set of 16" rims/tires for my 03 LS430 and swapped back forth with the stock 17's for a few years and basically could not tell any difference. I have a Subaru Forester (which might be more comparable to the RX) that I got rid of the OEM 17" rims and went with 16" rims/tires with the tallest sidewalls I could get ... there was a pretty noticeable difference in ride, for the better. I was looking for more ground clearance but the ride bonus was nice. I drive pretty conservatively so I wouldn't notice or care too much about any marginal loss of cornering ability. I also like that the tires are much more affordable.
Old 02-14-14, 12:56 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

yeah i kinda feel the same way about my Ls400. smooth as glass, then again the Ls460 is smoother. i was driving one around today and it was nothing less than bliss. but compairing the LS to the RX is like compairing apples to grapes. the LS is a exectuive style luxury sedan ment for rich old people. the RX is not 80 grand, and is a utility vehicle. but yes. i do think the older ones were a bit more solid
Old 02-14-14, 01:54 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

When you consider ride and quietness, the LS430 is the best Lexus has made. I've told my story here before, but I'll tell it again. I hated my LS460L so much that I traded back to another LS430. Other than a few tech gadgets, the LS430 is a far better luxury car than the LS460 when it comes to what a true luxury car is supposed to be.
Old 02-14-14, 03:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best LS is the one you like best. If I could fine a sub 100k first gen LS with no rust, I'd get it for my garage.
Old 02-14-14, 04:47 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Brad is absolutely spot on. My LS 400's with smaller rims and larger tire profile were as smooth as it got. I've driven the 430's with 16's, 17's and 18's. Each increased inch of wheel size diminished ride comfort and softness. I think the ideal comfort and handling wheel is 17". Soft ride was the knock on Lexus LS for many years. The current trend to bigger wheels was embraced by Lexus for marketing as well as providing stiffer sport-like handling.
Old 02-14-14, 04:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Tell me about it. When I replaced the suspension in my 99 I made the mistake of lowering it about 1.8 inches. Combined with 04 SC430 wheels at 245/45/18's... Just killed the ride comfort. The car handled a lot better but more often then not I was not trying to corner at high speeds...
Old 02-14-14, 09:14 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's what I always thought when I rode my fathers '03 LS, with 16"" rims I believe. It is was has gotten me to be an LS430 fanatic.
I rode lots of 430's with 18'' rims, and also having owned 2, the ride quality is in decrease the bigger the rims become. I can say that is a fact.

But yet again. I still believe the LS will drive like butter on a warm night even if it was fitted with 23'' rims. The quality is the best Lexus had to provide and it was the peak of their great craftsmanship. Unfortunately, nowadays, sacrifices are made to make more money. But it's a great thing our LS's last a long time
Personally, I won't change this vehicle any time in my life. It has been my favorite car as a child, and I will continue to love it and own one.

Cheers.
Old 02-15-14, 09:13 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I traded my LS430 for a 2013 GS350 AWD and felt that the GS was about as solid and well-built as the LS. The GS was more sporty in ride and handling and, for me, was just too small. I ended up trading in the GS and my LX for a Honda Ridgeline.

Someday, I'd like to find a 50 MPG near-luxury hybrid sedan to replace my Prius.
They do...isnt the Ct200h something sorta Prius-ish plus Luxury?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't think there will ever be another Lex like the 430. Rant alert!