LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone running lowering springs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 06:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Anyone running lowering springs???

I really like the stock ride of the suspension, im a little worried about swapping coilovers in.

Is anyone running lowering springs? If so what brand, how much? and pics????

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-14, 09:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The ride is definitely scarified when changing springs. Tanabe makes the best springs, imo. I put them on my LS400. They make two styles. One is a bit softer then the other with about the same reduction in ride height. Pair those up with some new KYB shocks and you are good to go.

Coilover, while offering custom ride height have about 1/2 the longevity of the standard setup and ride stiff. Especially, when low.

Tire sidewall is the next big consideration. 40 and below ride like a rock. Even on the stock suspension.
Old 02-01-14, 10:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The ride is definitely scarified when changing springs. Tanabe makes the best springs, imo. I put them on my LS400. They make two styles. One is a bit softer then the other with about the same reduction in ride height. Pair those up with some new KYB shocks and you are good to go.

Coilover, while offering custom ride height have about 1/2 the longevity of the standard setup and ride stiff. Especially, when low.

Tire sidewall is the next big consideration. 40 and below ride like a rock. Even on the stock suspension.
thanks man

I was actually ready to order the bc coilovers but then I found out the life span of these things is only a couple years? I don't have the temperament for that, also I like the stock ride and prefer to keep that as much as possible.

All im seeing really is two springs, tanabees or eibachs, ,,eibachs have more of a drop , almost double, the tanabees are barely 1 inch.

Just wondering if anyone here has been running them or if there are any other brands im not aware of.

I will be running 20 inch wheels with a 35 side wall, so I know im going to lose quite a bit of comfort already .
Old 02-01-14, 11:50 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How much of a drop are you looking for? You could do a Youzealand SS Pro kit or regular SS kit to lower your ride about 30mm. No change to the ride quality as your shocks and springs remain stock. And the SS Pro kit even compensates for caster from lowering.
Old 02-02-14, 01:15 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try H&R springs I just got a set for my LS400. Should bring the car down about an inch from stock height once they're installed and given some time to settle.
Old 02-02-14, 11:08 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I'll play devils advocate here. I have over 60k miles on my BC's and have yet to feel any noticeable difference in dampening ability or degradation, with the longevity I'm having probably due to my high spring rates. And when the dampers do begin to fail, I can rebuild them all for $400.

A friend of mine has the stock rate(10k/8k) Megan's and they are very comfortable and smooth.

Given my rim fitment, there's no way I'd go softer or with springs.

If at all possible, try and get a ride in a local LS with coilovers.
Old 02-02-14, 03:24 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
Guess I'll play devils advocate here. I have over 60k miles on my BC's and have yet to feel any noticeable difference in dampening ability or degradation, with the longevity I'm having probably due to my high spring rates. And when the dampers do begin to fail, I can rebuild them all for $400.

A friend of mine has the stock rate(10k/8k) Megan's and they are very comfortable and smooth.

Agreed, i just ordered my custom speced HSD coilovers, should be here soon. HSD is the people who make coilovers for Stance in Korea. I ran HSD Racelites on my 03 MR2 and they were very comfortable coilovers so im definitely excited to put them on my LS as soon as my air struts blow up.

16kg front and 11kg rear I went with slightly heavier duty springs because the std models were made for std LS430 and they weigh a little less then my UL.
Old 02-02-14, 07:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
How much of a drop are you looking for? You could do a Youzealand SS Pro kit or regular SS kit to lower your ride about 30mm. No change to the ride quality as your shocks and springs remain stock. And the SS Pro kit even compensates for caster from lowering.
im looking for at least a 2 inch drop, anything less then that and u wont even notice

I was looking into the SS kit, its around $500 I think, $800 for the ss pro kit, but 30mm really isn't enough fro me ,,thanks man

Originally Posted by SQuester

60 000 miles is 100 000 kms, if I could get that mileage out of them I would be happy.

Compared to stock what sort of differences do u feel with the ride?

I think I would also want a stiff spring rate