LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New System to Replace Mark Levison System

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 05:41 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, I would love to see the results. It might be something that the radio technician was talking about with mine. Not sure. Your post sounds a like the tech who gave me the estimate. I asked about the steering wheel controls as well as the controls for the back seat. Apparently, that is part of the estimate. I wasn't looking for no expensive top of the line system, just something simple that sounds nice. I am a "stickler" for sound quality. Everyone talks about the sound quality of the system, but it seems okay, compared to my wife's Mercedes. We go back and forth about our cars. She seems to have a better system, yet I have a better car. Thanks for the information. If you could post a picture or two, I would truly appreciate it.
Old 01-21-14, 08:23 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I personally don't have a high opinion of the Mark Levinson system, but car audio is not a big priority for me. When everything is working properly (a big IF) it's a good enough system, just not something worth the huge premium Lexus charges. That being said, I would probably try to fix what was in there before reinventing the wheel since there's so much going on beyond the stereo with those controls.

If I got into a situation like this where multiple systems weren't working properly, I'd probably just swap the parts out with factory used ones one by one. I'd probably start with the amp in the trunk, my guess is that's where the real problem is, they're known to have issues. You can find replacements for around $500. Worst case scenario, if that doesn't fix your problem, you can just throw it back up on Ebay and probably get most of your money back. It's plug and play. You can get used, working factory head units for around $200-$300. I would think either one or the other is your problem. The GPS unit you can probably ignore as you don't use it anyway.

When car stereos were simple, it was no question to go aftermarket, but now with touch screens being integrated into climate control and all sorts of other systems, plus cameras, plus steering wheel controls, etc I really think it's going to be more trouble than its worth.
Old 01-21-14, 09:20 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Let's not forget voice recognition. Actually, pretty useful.
Old 01-21-14, 10:16 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
I think theyre looking at the actual "tuner" and referring to it as an amp. The actual "radio" portion of the system is (a box) located in the trunk, right next to the Navigation unit...under the trunk carpet.

Some LS430's will leak thru the taillight (gasket dries out) and kill the navigation and tuner (mounted on the trunk floor) for the head unit. the amps die from poor air circulation,causing swelling capacitors i suspect.

The speakers suffer from dryrot because they're simply "old". The sub is rthe first to go because it gets the most sunlight.

I thought about repairing my factory amp , since it will have updated parts. Replacing the nav computer with a newer generation,new tuner (mine got REALLY wet)..and then the thought of replacing the interior speakers killed it for me.

or, bypassing all of the ML stuff and have every feature that I wanted (and more) with a new headunit,amps and speakers that sound amazing. I was going to do a write up since I install my own crap, but nobody responded to the thread....so I just did it and havent looked back at Mr Mark Levinson

the only issue(s) is that I lost the steering wheel control but that can be fixed as well with an aftermarket solution. Not really a big deal for me.

Ill see if I kept sum of the pics if that will help u.
I would love to see a write up if you don't mind and have the time. After I finish working on my SC I want to replace all my factory stuff with aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-21-14, 02:09 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is left rear speaker the only one not working? if so its because of the lexus link system.
The subwoofer can be swapped out, you can do it or take it to a shop.. I would suggest a Kicker CVR 8.
The speakers i say should all be swapped out with some pioneers.
All of those things have DIYs on here..
Old 01-21-14, 02:40 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Coustic, however according to crutchfield, you can not swap out spearkers with regular car speakers. Also, both front and rear left side speakers are not playing. Left Tweeter speaker on dashboard is working. The Link and Nav system isn't working.
Old 01-21-14, 05:03 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yotee1642
Thank you Coustic, however according to crutchfield, you can not swap out spearkers with regular car speakers. Also, both front and rear left side speakers are not playing. Left Tweeter speaker on dashboard is working. The Link and Nav system isn't working.
As of now i have pioneers in the front on my car. You will have to do minor modifications such as cutting the original harness off the wire and either crimping or soldering the wires onto the new speakers. You will also have to mount the speakers directly to the original housing, meaning you would have to use screws and drill into plastic.

Best thing to do is open up the door panel, and see whats going on there. Also go to the back right underneath the covers there is the amp and navigation brain. In there should be 2 harness on the top furthest away from the taillight. Check those make sure they are connected..
Old 01-22-14, 07:45 AM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

I posted this earlier. There are three connection on the back of the NAV system, but only two were connected. I never knew what the third one was for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
50010.pdf (97.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 01-25-14, 09:25 AM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your advice. After careful consideration, and speaking with a Crutchfield Advisor, I have decided to upgrade the system, Will post results when installed.