LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New System to Replace Mark Levison System

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 08:40 AM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New System to Replace Mark Levison System

I am a new member. I have been reviewing the various posts and I have to say that I really like this forum. Everyone has been really informative. After sitting on the sideline for so long, I have decided to ask a question and I am looking for advice. I purchased a used 2001 LS430 with the Ultra Luxury package (Navigation, etc). The car has a few issues, but the one that is bugging me now is the navigation stereo system. For some reason, the sound quality sounds pretty plain. Almost like the sound of an AM transistor radio. (okay, I am telling my age). Anyway, there is no bass, the left speakers have no sound, and it just doesn’t sound right. I took it to a radio shop and he said that it could be the tuner or amplifier. Both are really expensive to fix. He recommended that I replace the entire system, because the Mark Levison systems are prone to problems, and they can be very expensive to fix. To replace the entire system will run around 2000. I thought that was high, but he said the cost is high due to completely rewiring a new system. What are your opinions? Am I getting ripped off? Thanks, in advance.
Old 01-19-14, 05:40 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

First of all, enjoy your car. Second, I haven't done any work on my '02 LS UL system except for replacing the subwoofer. It appears to me the audio shop was trying to sell you a large job. The posts on this board contain quite a bit of information and many members are quite experienced in the area. My guess is your lack of bass is due to a blown subwoofer. Since they are a smaller size, replacement is a bit tricky but Crutchfield stocks them and can help. The left side problem is likely a blown amp., a post in the last few weeks mentioned a place (United Radio, I believe) that repairs OEM equipment. Cost was around $400 if I remember correctly.

That said, you may want to poke around abit before spending $2,000. If you do replace, call Crutchfield. They have harnesses that allow you to plug into the factory wiring. Good Luck.
Old 01-19-14, 07:05 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Since the ML system is integrated into the nav display, I suspect complete replacement would be tough.
Old 01-19-14, 07:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

That is way to high especially for a 13 yo car. Get a second and third estimate from a couple of other audio shops. No reason to pay $2000 for a replacement system. You should be able to get a quality replacement system installed for about $800 max. The biggest challenge is to not have to replace the tweeters in the front dash - suggest you just reuse them or disconnect them.
Old 01-19-14, 09:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You will lose the Navigation from what I understand. You have to have the ML amp for it to work.
Old 01-20-14, 04:53 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You will lose the Navigation from what I understand. You have to have the ML amp for it to work.
Ahhh...yes ...the joys of multiple tightly integrated screen based controls systems in these "early" modern cars is something that is going to really frustrate people who want to keep driving them for many years.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-20-14 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 08:39 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know what's involved in that quote, but it sounds like he's trying to sell you an over-the-top system that you don't really need.

Also, this is probably a dumb suggestion, but have you gone into the "sound" setting to see if everything is where is should be? When I bought my car, the previous owner had basically turned the subwoofer off to hide the fact it was blown. You might also want to look into whether the speakers that aren't working could have possibly been unplugged. They may have fallen apart and an owner/used car dealer just unplugged them instead of fixing them.

If the sound issue is present with all the sources (ie AM, FM, CD, sirius XM) my shot in the dark is that it's something wrong with the amplifier in the trunk and I would probably start there. If it some sources worked fine, but others had issues, I would probably look at the headunit.

I would probably find somebody different that can actually trouble shoot it first rather than just giving you an answer of replacing everything.
Old 01-20-14, 02:01 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Impossible to say if that's a good or bad price....

He never mentioned what was going in the car.
Old 01-20-14, 02:38 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for the information. Let me see if I can respond to everyone:

sgretchko: I was told that the amp was bad. To replace it will run around $700. They will also have to replace the subwoffer amp, which runs around $300. The issue with the left side of the car could be the tuner, amp, etc. The shop charges $95 an hour to trouble shoot the problem. Once the amps are replace, there could be issues with the speakers, which are very expensive (from what I hear). They are not the standard speakers. Well, with the cost reaching $1500 to replace those items, there is still no guarrantee that it will not happen again. (But I agree the cost was expensive)

Bob04: Nav system isn't working either. Don't use it anyway because it is outdated. i just use my Garmin with life time updating. I thought the disks were bad, so I order new ones at $85.00 (dealership was even more expensive). Disks still did not work. I was told the Nav system was bad. You don't even want to know what the charge is to replace that item. Too expensive.

Jabberwok: I wish I could find a replacement system for $800. Any ideas? I have already checked with Crutchfield. They do not make replacement systems for the Ultra Luxury edtion. I guess it has somethng to do with the integrated a/c, Nav, CD, streeing wheel, and rear passenger system connections. I tried. Did I miss something?

BradTank: The system recommended involves replacing the radio, nav, CD functions. It also involves new amps, speakers, SAT tuner, Apple (Midi), and audio out functions. I will try to get a picture and post of finished product (if I elect to get it). Also, yes, I check all sound settings before taking it to the shop.

All, I really appreciate your input. I have not commited to the project. I am really interested in where I can get a new system for $800. I like that idea. Advice? Thanks again.
Old 01-20-14, 03:41 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

uh, theres only one amp that runs the entire system.

- you can get your old one repaired for about 400, if u want to start dumping money into the problem

- interior speakers are expensive (being the stripped down ML ) but are easy to test with an ohm meter to see if they are blown. A ripped surround is fine and an easy fix.

Easy solution: pick up a beatsonic DD kit, new DD radio of your choice, get a decent 5 channel amp (or an a sub amp and an amp for your interior speakers) replace ALL interior speakers with new 4ohm versions (as well as your sub) and call it a day

BTW: I also picked up an Ultra Lux edition with the same issues as yours. I ripped out EVERYTHING and did a full custom install...I was going to do that anyway, so the stereo not working was a plus to me when buying the car.
Old 01-20-14, 03:48 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by yotee1642
Thank you everyone for the information. Let me see if I can respond to everyone:

Jabberwok: I wish I could find a replacement system for $800. Any ideas? I have already checked with Crutchfield. They do not make replacement systems for the Ultra Luxury edtion. I guess it has somethng to do with the integrated a/c, Nav, CD, streeing wheel, and rear passenger system connections. I tried. Did I miss something?

All, I really appreciate your input. I have not commited to the project. I am really interested in where I can get a new system for $800. I like that idea. Advice? Thanks again.
Sorry I sometimes forget that unlike my car, many people have the integrated Audio, Nav and HVAC screens on the ML versions of the LS430. These pose more of a $ challenge in redoing and upgrading the audio system.
Old 01-20-14, 03:51 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Driftgirl: Really? I have two amps. One for the tuner and one just for the subwoffer. In reference to your custom job, was it as expensive as my possible job? What was replaced? Was the system everythng you expected? Were there any issues with the other parts? (Nav, a/c, CD player)?
Old 01-20-14, 03:56 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Jabberwock: No problem. If you (or anyone) hears of a way to inexpensively switch out my system, let me know. Thanks for the advice, though.
Old 01-20-14, 04:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I think your better bet is fixing your existing system. It sounds good for a factory system when working right. Any corrosion around the amp? Check for leaks.

You can source a used amp on eBay or Craigslist. Also, you can find an electronic shop to repair your existing amp. The ML website list shops as well.

Should be able to get a new sub for closer to $200. eBay and search on Google shopping. They can also be re-coned.

For about $600 you can have your factory system back. You may need to search and negotiate a little but it is more cost effective then trying to replace the whole thing.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-20-14 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 04:34 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yotee1642
Driftgirl: Really? I have two amps. One for the tuner and one just for the subwoffer. In reference to your custom job, was it as expensive as my possible job? What was replaced? Was the system everythng you expected? Were there any issues with the other parts? (Nav, a/c, CD player)?
I think theyre looking at the actual "tuner" and referring to it as an amp. The actual "radio" portion of the system is (a box) located in the trunk, right next to the Navigation unit...under the trunk carpet.

Some LS430's will leak thru the taillight (gasket dries out) and kill the navigation and tuner (mounted on the trunk floor) for the head unit. the amps die from poor air circulation,causing swelling capacitors i suspect.

The speakers suffer from dryrot because they're simply "old". The sub is rthe first to go because it gets the most sunlight.

I thought about repairing my factory amp , since it will have updated parts. Replacing the nav computer with a newer generation,new tuner (mine got REALLY wet)..and then the thought of replacing the interior speakers killed it for me.

or, bypassing all of the ML stuff and have every feature that I wanted (and more) with a new headunit,amps and speakers that sound amazing. I was going to do a write up since I install my own crap, but nobody responded to the thread....so I just did it and havent looked back at Mr Mark Levinson

the only issue(s) is that I lost the steering wheel control but that can be fixed as well with an aftermarket solution. Not really a big deal for me.

Ill see if I kept sum of the pics if that will help u.

Quick Reply: New System to Replace Mark Levison System