LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 downgrade from NAV to no-NAV

Old 01-11-14, 02:17 PM
kkm871
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 downgrade from NAV to no-NAV

Hi,

I read somewhere that upgrading to NAV in a LS430 is not plug-and-play as the wire looms are different. This makes sense as wires may be missing.

But what about the other way round. Can you remove the NAV and install the standard aircon control panel in a more-or-less plug and play way?

Has it been done?
Jabberwock wrote: And by the way I personally would avoid any LS with the NAV option - the screen and software on these dvd disk driven NAV systems is hopelessly outdated, and resolution is laughably grainy compared to modern devices. In the long run the inbuilt NAV systems will be viewed as a high maintenance embarrassment in these great cars.
The above view would support that such a downgrade is relevant to more people than just me.

BR, Bo
Old 01-12-14, 07:38 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Just curious. Can you get the Mark Levinson system without nav? Don't think I've ever seen a car with Levinson and without nav.
Old 01-12-14, 09:59 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For '04 to '06, both the Nav and Mark Levinson features were included in the Modern Luxury package, and neither was available as a separate option.
So, you could not buy a car (at least in the US) with only one of the options.
I am not certain that the above applied to '01 to '03 cars.
Also, in some years (I don't remember which ones), Nav was not available in Canada - presumably because Lexus had not licensed the Canadian road database.
Old 01-12-14, 10:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

im in Canada and I have an 03 with nav and the ML system.

I didn't want to say it because I thought I was alone, but rhe nav system does kind of suck, I find it hard to use, it is definitely grainy and looks like an Atari video game from the 80's.

I use the GPS nav on my cell phone , and I never use the built in one.
Old 01-12-14, 11:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thats when u integrate the beatsonic unit and run a 2nd double din with proper navi and bluetooth
Old 01-13-14, 08:32 AM
kkm871
Driver School Candidate

Default How to downgrade from NAV+ML to base audio

Originally Posted by Bob04
Just curious. Can you get the Mark Levinson system without nav? Don't think I've ever seen a car with Levinson and without nav.
Just checked it, appears you cannot. From the optionslist it appears they were always bundled ML+NAV.

Looking at the actual units this makes sense as the ML unit is lower with no display and the Pioneer unit is tall with a display.

So OK, my question should have been: Can you downgrade from NAV+ML to base Pioneer audio?

As the speakers and the amplifier are different from the two systems I assume this is "rather" difficult.

But still, can it be done plug-and-play wise (i.e. using the standard wire loom with none or only minimal changes)?

And, has it been done?
Old 01-13-14, 09:03 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

You can upgrade the Gen 2/3 NAV system with a Gen 4 Nav player from any '04 - '06 Lexus or Toyota Prius. And yes, it is plug n' play. It's an easy DIY. $300 for upgraded used Gen 4 Nav player. Also, the Gen 2/3 map is only for 1/2 of the US now, East or West. With Gen 4, you have whole US and Canada on 1 disc.
Old 01-13-14, 11:10 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
You can upgrade the Gen 2/3 NAV system with a Gen 4 Nav player from any '04 - '06 Lexus or Toyota Prius. And yes, it is plug n' play. It's an easy DIY. $300 for upgraded used Gen 4 Nav player. Also, the Gen 2/3 map is only for 1/2 of the US now, East or West. With Gen 4, you have whole US and Canada on 1 disc.

That's really interesting, have you done this? Do any other issues come into play (like the rear camera)?

I'm definitely in the camp that thinks the NAV is largely useless, but you have to remember it's 10 year old technology that 99% of cars didn't have back then.

I will say though the backup system with the camera is a nice feature that I would miss if I didn't have the NAV option.
Old 01-13-14, 11:55 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I've always wondered about it being possible to downgrade from the NAV to the base model style radio/AC controls.

If I'm not mistaken a few UL LS430's came with navigation. I think Gato from Futura Design had one at one point but I could be mistaken. I'm hoping it is possible to downgrade since I don't like having the navigation anyway.
Old 01-13-14, 12:29 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yes, I've done the Nav upgrade on '01 ML. The screen quality is now same as what you'd see in 04 - 06 LS (little sharper color and contrast, more features, and the CPU is a little faster). I don't have a rear camera, so I don't know if it would affect that. A friend (a Lexus parts manager) did same Nav upgrade on his '01 UL (I assume he has camera) and he's never complained about camera issues. The Nav unit and camera ECU are separate. each uses the dash screen, but control it separately.
Old 01-13-14, 12:46 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Here are the two part numbers for the Gen 4 Nav system that will upgrade the Lexus Gen 2/3 ('01 - '03 LS) > 86841-50090 and 86841-0E010 . The CPU on the Gen 4 Nav disc player is larger and slightly faster > can handle more data from the disc = more features (ex. calendar). (It will not upgrade your '01 - '03 to Bluetooth.) You can search those part numbers on eBay and find Nav players from later models of Lexus and Toyota. There are several Lexus / Toyota Gen 4 Nav players currently listed for sale in the $275 and up range. It's a simple plug n' play in the lower right side of the trunk. You will need a Gen 4 Nav disc too. The Gen 2/3 disc will not work.
Old 01-13-14, 02:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I personally can't see paying money to upgrade to another dvd disk based NAV on the LS these days. The mapping function on my 5S phone is so much better and easier to use. Also have latest Garmin as backup but use that mostly for traveling/road trips. I personally think the Lexus NAV systems made before 2010 or so are pretty obsolete especially dvd based systems (that is 90's technology at best). But that is just my opinion..no more no less. Lots of very smart folks on this forum like the Lexus NAV systems in the LS especially the later year versions. They are not wrong - they have a different opinion and viewpoint on the NAV system - and it is perfectly valid perspective. This forum is so valuable and somewhat unique in part because folks can successfully share differing opinions and perspectives about LS430s and related automotive items/issues in a civilized and respectful manner.

It will be interesting to see what folks are using in these cars as audio/Nav systems continue to evolve. I am pretty confident some of these cars will be driven as classics in next 20-30 years. Hope I am around to see it.
Old 01-13-14, 04:34 PM
KAHUNA
Rookie

I think the ls without the nav looks so dated like an old civic...
Old 01-13-14, 07:36 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've always wondered about it being possible to downgrade from the NAV to the base model style radio/AC controls.

If I'm not mistaken a few UL LS430's came with navigation. I think Gato from Futura Design had one at one point but I could be mistaken. I'm hoping it is possible to downgrade since I don't like having the navigation anyway.
All ULs (at least US cars from '04 to '06) came with Nav, since all the Modern Luxury features were included with the Ultra Luxury selection.
Old 01-14-14, 06:39 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

The old disc drive Nav system is definitely outdated ... if the choices are to completely remove the Nav (as KKM suggested - and wasn't aware of upgrade ), fix / upgrade what is already in the dash, or rely on a smartphone map app (which in most populated states, cities could be illegal - not to mention risky > texting and even talking on phone without bluetooth is illegal here) - The upgrade makes for decent lemonade out of an old lemon Nav system. Having younger drivers in the household looking at phone while driving wasn't an option - looking at in-dash Nav is enough distraction!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS430 downgrade from NAV to no-NAV