LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying 2006 48k with timing belt & water pump replaced

Old 01-05-14, 03:35 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default buying 2006 48k with timing belt & water pump replaced

Need advice.

I am considering buying a 2006 LS430 with 48k miles for $22k from a Lexus dealership remotely without seeing it. I am nervous as you can imagine. Clean CarFax, but that does not impress me that much. One owner. The dealership sent me the maintenance records.

At 40k miles Lexus dealership found leak in water pump and replaced water pump and timing belt.

When dealer acquired it they replaced ONE shock.

Is the new water pump and timing belt a good thing? Why would they replace only one shock other than the obvious reason that one costs less than two? Does that speak well for the dealership?

You guys have been great with advice in the past as I patiently search. Recently missed a base 2006 car with less than 20k miles for $25k in DFW area because I hesitated to immediately buy remotely. Sooner or later I will pay back the help you are giving me.

Weston

Last edited by wmbinford; 01-05-14 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-14, 03:39 PM
1fastcobra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i highly advise buying it. Sounds like they replaced the belt just because they were already in there doing the pump and the belt is 7 years old. LS430 is the best lexus ever built in my opinion
Old 01-05-14, 03:59 PM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the LS has air suspension then it makes sense to replace only one shock/strut. They cost $$$ for each one. So, if one were found leaking then replacing that one is reasonable.

Is the car you are looking at a UL model?
Old 01-05-14, 04:31 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

No. MLP. Don't think they are air.
Old 01-05-14, 05:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

If you have the money buy it

You don't wanna know what half of us would do for a low mileage 06.
Old 01-07-14, 09:13 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Agree - sounds like the Dealer did the right thing by replacing the TB while they were doing the WP. 22K is reasonable with low miles, documented service - as long as the rest of the vehicle is in good shape and clean CarFax.
Old 01-07-14, 10:03 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Which dealer is it at so that I can buy it if you don't? LOL... Personally, I would try and get it for around $20K. Good luck with your purchase, it sounds like a good find.
Old 01-07-14, 11:25 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Whatever you do...don't hesitate too long or it will be gone to another buyer. The word is out on how great the LS series are. Later!
Old 01-07-14, 02:46 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

New water pump and TB is a very good thing especially done by Lexus dealer using OEM parts. Not sure why one shock would be replaced so early...regular shocks last forever. Hitting a big enough road hazard or pothole can blow out a wheel and a shock. i I'd ask them to verify that the replaced shock was not damaged in an accident of any kind. Also ask them to verify in writing (email) that they have run a paint meter on the car and that the body panels have had no paint work. btw - in my opinion respray paint on front or back plastic bumpers is fine on a used LS as long as body panels have not been repaired or painted.
Old 01-07-14, 05:44 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My rear was painted and the sensors flaked. I know it was quick job but paint hx ended up real good(not perfect) Paint gauge 50 bucks?

Otherwise that LS/52k Prem was 17g's even 4 y/ago past Oct, needed nothing, never seen snow. Indy dealer needed cash to go on a cruise, I saw it on Autotrader the first day and got the first pictures as it came from Mannhiem auction. Anyone who says you can't get a good car at the auction has to see this exception. I was pleased when I called the past owner and pleased to 197k.
Old 01-07-14, 06:01 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought my '02 LS430 UL with under 50k sight unseen from Park Place Lexus in Dallas. I went through all Lexus dealer websites and narrowed it down to a few choices. I called the next morning, got over 100 pictures taken, service history and put a deposit down within an hour. Everything was as promised and I have been extremely happy.

My point is, give them a deposit. It buys you a few days of time and keeps someone else from buying it. Talk to the service advisor who wrote the service work, he should be able to answer your questions. Take the service history to your local Lexus dealer and go over it with their service advisor. See if a CL member or friend can go to the dealership and check it out. Find a cheap flight and fly down to look at it. Do all these things, get a good feeling and buy the car. It comes down to trust. Lexus dealers take their reputation seriously and they generally don't lie or mislead just to make a sale.

You can't have it both ways. If the TB was not done, you would obsess over whether it should be done due to age. Same with the shocks.

It's an outstanding car with a well deserved reputation for reliability and value. I consider myself fortunate to have the pleasure of owning one.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 01-08-14 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 09:27 PM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

The car was listed at JM Lexus in Fort Lauderdale at $21,981. I had been in touch with a salesman and we had exchanged several emails. That afternoon the price was lowered to $20,981, but I did not see it until later that night. When I did, I emailed them a full price offer. Did not hear from them until the day after the following day when they sent me the one line message, "The was sold."

So, I got in touch with a salesman at Scanlon Lexus in Tampa and after some email exchanges they accepted an offer of $23,612 for a 2006 47,741 miles, MLP, Black Onyx, 4 new tires, new alternator, upgrade to the navigation system, clean car fax, I verified personally no accidents and good history with former owner, maintenance records at Lexus dealer, delivered to Austin, Texas.

The earlier car I lost was probably a better deal, but I took comfort in being able to talk to the only other owner who traded for a Lexus with Scanlon and had owned four other Lexus cars. And I had a problem with the one shock and the general attitude of the salesman at JM Lexas, who never clearly answered my questions about repaint. And I really prefer the black color.

So my year long quest is over. I probably could have made a better deal eventually but my wife said if she saw me looking at another car on-line she was going to smash my laptop.

Thank you all for the help. i will let you know the final results of buying remote sight unseen when the car is delivered.

Last edited by wmbinford; 01-08-14 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-14, 06:13 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wmbinford
The car was listed at JM Lexus in Fort Lauderdale at $21,981. I had been in touch with a salesman and we had exchanged several emails. That afternoon the price was lowered to $20,981, but I did not see it until later that night. When I did, I emailed them a full price offer. Did not hear from them until the day after the following day when they sent me the one line message, "The was sold."

So, I got in touch with a salesman at Scanlon Lexus in Tampa and after some email exchanges they accepted an offer of $23,612 for a 2006 47,741 miles, MLP, Black Onyx, 4 new tires, new alternator, upgrade to the navigation system, clean car fax, I verified personally no accidents and good history with former owner, maintenance records at Lexus dealer, delivered to Austin, Texas.

The earlier car I lost was probably a better deal, but I took comfort in being able to talk to the only other owner who traded for a Lexus with Scanlon and had owned four other Lexus cars. And I had a problem with the one shock and the general attitude of the salesman at JM Lexas, who never clearly answered my questions about repaint. And I really prefer the black color.

So my year long quest is over. I probably could have made a better deal eventually but my wife said if she saw me looking at another car on-line she was going to smash my laptop.

Thank you all for the help. i will let you know the final results of buying remote sight unseen when the car is delivered.
never heard of Scanlon Lexus in Tampa!! Fort Myers has a Scanlon Lexus.
Old 01-09-14, 10:04 AM
wmbinford
Driver School Candidate

That's it: Scanion in Ft. Meyers. Sorry I was careless. What do you think of the deal?
Old 01-09-14, 12:12 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wmbinford
That's it: Scanion in Ft. Meyers. Sorry I was careless. What do you think of the deal?
With delivery it seems like a fair price. are you working with a certain salesman. I know about everybody down there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying 2006 48k with timing belt & water pump replaced