LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 70k for $18.5 too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 11:40 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would keep your current car over buying the older LS...
Old 01-05-14, 12:00 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can't get $17k for it max, I will just keep the LS460 and wait for another deal to come along. I think they have me by the *****, because I keep calling about it and know I want it bad. The fees and tax kills the deal. I just like to look and feel of the old LS430 and less headaches to deal with all the gadgets on the LS460L. I should have thought about all that before I bought the LS460. I was just rushed by the wife to purchase a car....lol!
Old 01-05-14, 03:38 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Or sometimes check the glove box there is a name and phone number of previouse owner.
My '05 LS430 (purchased from a Lexus Dealership) still had the previous owner's first and last name in the Bluetooth pairing of the Navigation system. She paired 2 iPhones (a 4 and a 5? MAC addresses of the devices still still on my NAV system). A simple Google search revealed she was the CEO of a local real estate company. And the last couple of places navigated to were still in memory on the nav system. She wasn't driving around my neighborhood. Lol!
Aren't Lexus dealers supposed to delete these things before selling the vehicle?

Hey lady! You didn't by any chance find that other missing Master Smartkey for my car, did ya? And what happened to the valet key and wallet card key? Lol!

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.

Last edited by Natey2; 01-05-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 03:43 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by nautica602
If I can't get $17k for it max, I will just keep the LS460 and wait for another deal to come along. I think they have me by the *****, because I keep calling about it and know I want it bad. The fees and tax kills the deal. I just like to look and feel of the old LS430 and less headaches to deal with all the gadgets on the LS460L. I should have thought about all that before I bought the LS460. I was just rushed by the wife to purchase a car....lol!
You must be my twin brother from another mother. I jumped to a 2010 LS460L in May because my wife was stressing over the high mileage on my 430. We travel a lot in the summer, and she didn't want to be stuck on the interstate. I won't lie either. I was interested in the 460 too, so she didn't have to push to hard.

A couple of weeks ago, after tons of issues with my 460L, I traded back to a 430. Even though the 460 was still under warranty, I just got tired of the trips to the dealership. I love my "new" 430. Now, even she admits that it is a better car than the 460. I also got one with nav and ML, something that my old one didn't have. Very happy about that.

Moral of the story. Don't let a couple of dollars come between you and happiness. I probably could have gotten a better deal, but it was the car I wanted and it was mint with low mileage. I am thankful every time I get in my car that I got me another 430 and don't have to worry with the 460 anymore. Don't miss the 460 one bit. Regret ever purchasing it. I'm a car guy, and I've owned a lot of different cars. The 430 is by far my favorite. Never hated a car more than the 460. If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.
Old 01-05-14, 05:35 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob04
You must be my twin brother from another mother. I jumped to a 2010 LS460L in May because my wife was stressing over the high mileage on my 430. We travel a lot in the summer, and she didn't want to be stuck on the interstate. I won't lie either. I was interested in the 460 too, so she didn't have to push to hard.

A couple of weeks ago, after tons of issues with my 460L, I traded back to a 430. Even though the 460 was still under warranty, I just got tired of the trips to the dealership. I love my "new" 430. Now, even she admits that it is a better car than the 460. I also got one with nav and ML, something that my old one didn't have. Very happy about that.

Moral of the story. Don't let a couple of dollars come between you and happiness. I probably could have gotten a better deal, but it was the car I wanted and it was mint with low mileage. I am thankful every time I get in my car that I got me another 430 and don't have to worry with the 460 anymore. Don't miss the 460 one bit. Regret ever purchasing it. I'm a car guy, and I've owned a lot of different cars. The 430 is by far my favorite. Never hated a car more than the 460. If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.
Bob,
I think it's just we both previously owned a LS430 and expected more with the newer LS460. We were both wrong...lol. I actually read your post about your trade and made a comment. Did you trade your LS460L at a dealership? What was the cost for your newer LS430 if you don't mind me asking? If I get the price I want for the LS430 I will just sell the LS460 private party.
Old 01-05-14, 07:01 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nautica602
Bob,
I think it's just we both previously owned a LS430 and expected more with the newer LS460. We were both wrong...lol. I actually read your post about your trade and made a comment. Did you trade your LS460L at a dealership? What was the cost for your newer LS430 if you don't mind me asking? If I get the price I want for the LS430 I will just sell the LS460 private party.
You are probably correct. I expected the 460 to be my 430, just better. It's wasn't. Sorry I missed your post. The thread went dead for a while and I forgot about checking it.

I traded at a Lexus dealership because they gave me a good price on the 460 and I didn't want to deal with selling it myself. Also, they are usually pickier about the used Lexus car they sell. If they get a used Lexus on trade in that has a bad history is has issues, they usually lowball them on the trade in and send them off to auction instead of trying to resell them on their lots.

I paid $17K + taxes/tags/fees for my car, but it's always hard to tell what you really paid when you have a trade in. They gave me a great price on my trade, so I probably could have gotten it a little cheaper if I had bought it outright. But who knows? The dealer said that lower mileage LS430 have a solid market. Another dealer that I was talking to about another car wasn't willing to budge on the price because he said the market is strong for a mint 430. In fact, he listed about 6 employees that worked there that drove 430s. He said that the employees would cherry pick the best 430s when they were traded in and keep them for themselves.

I'm sure you know too that prices can vary from region to region. I'm in South Carolina, and the prices was in line with what other dealers in my area were asking. What I paid might not relate directly to what dealers in your area are getting. But if they were asking $18.5K for it, I doubt I would have walked away. It was the exact car I wanted, and I considered myself lucky to find it. They aren't making any more of them, and none are getting fewer miles on them. I plan to keep it 5 years or more. Another $1500 over the lifetime I plan to keep it would be a most $25 a month. That's a small price for getting exactly what you want.
Old 01-09-14, 03:06 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

I ended up not getting the LS430. I went back today and examined the paint job. What a horrible job they did. Both bumpers were half **** completed! Barley any clear coat, rough, over spray on under panels, scratches already under front bumper, and looks like the front bumper got caught on something sharp and flared a small portion of the bumper out. I offered them $16k after all that mess, but $18k was the lowest they would go. Luckily I didn't buy it before hand. I probably would have put in another $1.5k on redoing their crappy paint job. It was so bad it looked like it would start chipping in a few weeks. They wouldn't even warranty the paint quality, since they already it was such a crappy paint job. I don't know why they don't take pride on where they get their cars repainted. I guess since it's a 10 year old car they don't care and care about maximizing their profits. I guess it's back to the drawing board looking for a clean LS430.
Old 01-10-14, 04:35 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

You made the right decision. They probably thought they had a sucker on the line and put the cheapest effort possible into the car. I'll pay top dollar for a top quality car, but that isn't what they were trying to sell you. Patience will make it even sweeter when you find the perfect car.
Old 01-11-14, 12:10 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob04
You made the right decision. They probably thought they had a sucker on the line and put the cheapest effort possible into the car. I'll pay top dollar for a top quality car, but that isn't what they were trying to sell you. Patience will make it even sweeter when you find the perfect car.

Yeah true, I think they thought I was really hooked on the car and did a cheap paint job hoping I would still purchase the car. It was one of those paint jobs you see at Maaco. No wonder the salesman was real pissed when I said I didn't want it anymore.
Old 01-11-14, 05:12 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Good choice...
Old 01-12-14, 01:02 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

I would pass on it! Walk in and make an offer of no more the $16K; if they don't bargan then leave. BTW check this website site out before you go. cargurus.com I am in the DC area, just type in used, lexus ls430 the zipe code and 2004-2006, no milage in the radius. You will see up to 6 pages of LS430s listed at better prices, Hope this helps
Old 01-12-14, 05:41 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
My '05 LS430 (purchased from a Lexus Dealership) still had the previous owner's first and last name in the Bluetooth pairing of the Navigation system. She paired 2 iPhones (a 4 and a 5? MAC addresses of the devices still still on my NAV system). A simple Google search revealed she was the CEO of a local real estate company. And the last couple of places navigated to were still in memory on the nav system. She wasn't driving around my neighborhood. Lol!
Aren't Lexus dealers supposed to delete these things before selling the vehicle?

Hey lady! You didn't by any chance find that other missing Master Smartkey for my car, did ya? And what happened to the valet key and wallet card key? Lol!

when cars go through auction if there are 2 smart keys with the car 1 is almost always stolen and is sold on ebay.if you got 2 smart keys when you buy a used car at a dealer most likely it didnt go through a big auction house.
Old 01-12-14, 07:23 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
when cars go through auction if there are 2 smart keys with the car 1 is almost always stolen and is sold on ebay.if you got 2 smart keys when you buy a used car at a dealer most likely it didnt go through a big auction house.
The car was purchased, serviced and was finally traded in to that particular Lexus Dealership, which is about 20 miles from where the previous owner lived. I have the vehicle history report: she managed to break off the antenna somehow and had it fixed at that dealership. And she followed Manufacturer's Servicing recommendations at that dealership. Service History indicates she traded it in after she had a flat in one tire: strange reason to get rid of a great LS430, huh?

Love those Lexus Service History reports

Old 01-15-14, 01:19 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

Patience paid off. I finally picked up a 2004 metallic silver LS430 with modern luxury package, two owners. 92k miles and almost mint condition for $14k. I bought it from private party and glad I didn't purchase that one from the dealer. Maintenance on timing belt, water pump, belts, brake pads, front rotors, spark plugs, filters, and all fluids have been completed at 90k miles. Owner did most of the work and also gave me the all original parts and receipts. Tires are good, but going to replace them with Michelin MXMV and 18" oem wheels, car came with the 17" stocks. He actually restores cars for a hobby and is very meticulous with his work. Car looks still good for being 10 years old and you can tell he took real good care of the vehicle. I will post pics soon and I can't be any happier going back to the old LS430. Now the issue is selling my L460L...lol!
Old 01-15-14, 02:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Congrats sounds like a great car.

Quick Reply: 2004 LS430 70k for $18.5 too much?