LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation problem - can't read DVD disk

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 04:18 PM
imbvl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation problem - can't read DVD disk

On my '02 LS430, there's an error message at start-up: "Unable to read data. Check if map DVD is correct." It's been that way for a few years. I figured the DVD was out-of-date. Today I called the dealer; he quoted me $170 for the latest v 13.1 DVD, to fit Gen. 2/3 readers. Bought it and installed it. Same error message!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a moderate-cost fix? I can buy another reader on EBay for $300+, but I'm only trying to improve the resale value - I'm trying to sell it.

Thanks for your help!

Bruce, in FL
Old 12-21-13, 06:10 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I had this issue on my '01. The Nav player in the trunk (exposed to weather conditions) is probably toast. You can try using a CD player lens cleaner disc, if there is dust on the lens reader. If that doesn't work, you could pull the Nav player out, open it, and try using alcohol and cotton Q-tip on the lens to clean it. If that doesn't work, then it's toast. I bought a Nav player on eBay and upgraded the system to Gen 4 (from Gen 2/3 which is what you have). Gen 2/3 Nav discs do not cover the whole U.S., and the Gen 4 is a more functional GPS too. Installing the new Gen 4 player is easy - plug n' play. You will need the Gen 4 map disc though. Let me know if you need part numbers for the Gen 4 system that will work for your '02 and i will get them. Upgrading to Gen 4 may be a selling feature too.
Old 12-22-13, 03:31 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
I bought a Nav player on eBay and upgraded the system to Gen 4 (from Gen 2/3 which is what you have). Gen 2/3 Nav discs do not cover the whole U.S., and the Gen 4 is a more functional GPS too. Installing the new Gen 4 player is easy - plug n' play. You will need the Gen 4 map disc though. Let me know if you need part numbers for the Gen 4 system that will work for your '02 and i will get them. Upgrading to Gen 4 may be a selling feature too.

That would be an awesome write-up if you can find the time
Old 12-22-13, 09:54 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Since the Nav player has a motor spinning a DVD with a lens reading the digital disc info. The Nav player is located in the trunk floor directly behind the right rear tire (next to spare tire in trunk), it is exposed to harsh weather conditions (humidity, moisture, hot, cold, etc.) The disc (which can get dusty and have slight condensation) is always spinning, and ultimately the system fails. That's why Lexus/Toyota changed to a USB memory stick for GPS in later model years - no motors, spinning discs, lens reader, etc.)

Here are the two part numbers for the Gen 4 Nav system that will upgrade the Lexus Gen 2/3 ('01 - '03 LS) > 86841-50090 and 86841-0E010 . The CPU on the Gen 4 Nav disc player is larger and slightly faster > can handle more data from the disc = more features. (It will not upgrade your '01 - '03 to Bluetooth though.) You can search those part numbers on eBay and find Nav players from later model Lexus and Toyotas. There are several Gen 4 Nav players currently listed for sale in the $300+ range.

Bruce in FL, if you change the player to Gen 4, since you are preparing the car for sale, you should pickup a used Gen 4 DVD from an earlier year (say 2010) (on eBay) for much less $$. Be sure to advise your purchaser that the Nav is upgraded to Gen 4 so that when they go to update the DVD, they know to buy the Gen 4 DVD, not the Gen 2/3 disc which of course would be standard for that model year.

If you need a complete write-up, let me know and when I have more time, I will write. It's a very easy DIY job.
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (02-28-18)
Old 12-22-13, 04:35 PM
imbvl
Driver School Candidate

Don and Tom, thanks for your insight. I have pulled the DVD reader from the trunk, took it apart, and plugged it back in without the cover, to verify that it spins when the car is started. It does. I bought a new DVD (Gen 2/3, version 13.1) and installed it. Couldn't be read. I found a used reader on EBay that came from a wrecked car, and made a low offer on it. If I get it, I'll mix-and-match parts from both units, to see if I can get it to work. If not, I'll follow your advice, buy a used Gen 4 reader, and a DVD a few versions ago, and go from there. A few hundred $ will probably be returned when I sell the car, when I tell prospective buyers, looking at other cars, to check whether the GPS works. Then I'll sell the new version 13, Gen 2/3 DVD, on EBay.

Thank you both, for your interest and advice. Removing the reader from the trunk is easy; I'll take pictures, and post a DIY.

Merry Christmas!

Bruce, in FL
Old 12-23-13, 11:11 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Bruce, If the motor was spinning the disc, then the problem is the lens that reads the DVD. The lens is very sensitive and could be clouded making it difficult to read the DVD disc. But, if you're situation is like mine, even cleaning the lens won't work. I don't know how easy / difficult it is to try and swap those internal parts from another Nav player. If you have another Gen 2/3 Nav player, obviously try that as a substitute without tinkering with the internal micro-size parts. Best of luck ...
Old 12-23-13, 04:17 PM
imbvl
Driver School Candidate

Tom, the other Gen 2/3 was on EBay, and sold at $50. Too much risk for me. So I'll follow your earlier advice, and get a used Gen 4 unit. Thanks for the part numbers. I know how to install it - easy, plug-and-play.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Bruce
Old 12-24-13, 04:07 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Here are the two part numbers for the Gen 4 Nav system that will upgrade the Lexus Gen 2/3 ('01 - '03 LS) > 86841-50090 and 86841-0E010 . The CPU on the Gen 4 Nav disc player is larger and slightly faster > can handle more data from the disc = more features. (It will not upgrade your '01 - '03 to Bluetooth though.) You can search those part numbers on eBay and find Nav players from later model Lexus and Toyotas. There are several Gen 4 Nav players currently listed for sale in the $300+ range.

So get one of the two, take the old one out, put the new one in, plug everything and it will work?
If that's it I don't think there is much need of a write-up, but if there is more to it, then I'd definitely appreciate some more specifics - even simple steps namely
Old 02-01-14, 04:07 PM
Sanjay28
Driver School Candidate

Default Oops...

Did I do something wrong...?

I had the same problem as described above so I replaced my original unit (86841-50010-OW) with a newer one (86841-33060) - I was told this is the newer version (I'm a complete newbie at this stuff). I also got the new DVD and it is "plug & play" in the sense that it works but with limited functionality. This new unit is designed to work with a "joystick" which my '01 LS 430 does not have. I can still use it to map out directions to a location, but I cannot do things like zoom and get to other screens.

Can I program the new unit to work on my car, or do I need a different unit? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
Old 02-01-14, 05:54 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

All: I had the same problem. After taking my car to the dealership, I learned that the NAV system itself was the fault. I, too, bought new disks, thinking the problem was with the disks. The problem was the system because of dust particles and moisture. It cost too much to replace the entire system. I just gave up and purchased a Garmin with lifetime updates. Much cheaper, and I get continuous updates.
Old 02-02-14, 09:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Sanjay, The 86841-50010 Nav unit that you replaced in your '01 was a Gen 2 system. The 86841-33060 you installed is a Gen 3 Nav system. Gen 2 and Gen 3 systems use the same version DVD - a Gen 2/3 disc. (The part numbers I provided in post # 4 above are both Gen 4 systems - from later model Toy and Lexus vehicles ('04 - '06).) You say that "you got the new DVD" but since you had a Gen 2 system, but you could use the same disc from your old Nav player in the Gen 3 Nav player you installed. What disc is in the system now? I'm not aware of any LS 430 Nav system using what you describe as a "joystick'? You could have upgraded your Gen 2 system to Gen 4 (see post # 4), as I did > a significant upgrade.
Old 02-02-14, 10:42 AM
Sanjay28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tom. The disc in the Gen 2 unit was "86271-47020 464210-5000 DATA 2000 ver.1" The one currently in the Gen 3 unit is "86271-33036 464210-0930 DATA ver.07.1" (this disc came with the Gen 3 unit). I tried installing the ver.1 disc in the Gen 3 unit, but it would not read it. I don't know if "joystick" is the correct term but I called it that based on the symbol in the lower left hand corner (see picture). I purchased the car pre-owned so I don't know if the PO had a mis-matched unit and disc. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation problem - can't read DVD disk-photo.jpg  
Old 02-02-14, 12:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

When a newer (updated) version disc is installed in the Nav unit, you cannot go back to an earlier version disc - that is referenced in all new discs. That is why it won't read the ver.1 disc.

However, your Nav screen is very different from the normal screen with Gen 2 and Gen 4 systems. (Something isn't right with the display of information, touch-screen buttons and features you should be getting.) For example, the screen I'm familiar with has touch-screen buttons across the bottom and left side of the screen. Mismatching system and disc could very well be the issue (though the disc number you reference indicates Gen 3 which should be compatible with the Gen 3 Nav player). You asked about programming in prior post. That is something I haven't had to do, but know that is a possibility. If you are sure that the Nav disc player unit matches the disc (both Gen 3 I assume), then programming would appear to be your only option to try. There may be others here or a prior thread that may help. Otherwise, see your dealer.
Old 02-06-14, 07:20 PM
Sanjay28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tom. I'll swing by my dealer. I was hoping to save a few dollars doing it myself, but you can't win 'em all.
Old 03-23-14, 06:21 AM
PRKeus
Driver School Candidate

I encounter the same problem.
DVD is sparkling clean, no scratches whatsoever.
It seems as if the player loses track if I go outside normal routes, yeah I know,...... completely ridiculous.....
But before changing anything expensive I bought a 10€ lens-cleaning DVD.
This seemed to help, it is much less than before, but returns every now and then...

Any-one experiences with a SD-card navigation in Lexuses?? I bought my first SD-card-navigation years ago in another car, and I was startled that Lexus used DVDs... and now I know the SD-card navigation was a right choice.. never failed me..
Is there Lexus SD-card navigation available?

Quick Reply: Navigation problem - can't read DVD disk