front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 01:12 AM
ssdoeg2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end noise

Good day all,
Really hate to bring up an old problem but I'm confused on past responses on this. Having that popping noise from front end area and changed out sway bar links, lower ball joints and sway bar bushings with no change. Some have mentioned the front srut mounts but looking at the sewell parts diagram the air suspension does not have the strut mounts only caps and gaskets on top. The shocks were changed according to service records but does not mention if it was left or right shock when it was changed twice plus a rear shock also was changed. air shocks seem to work fine other than popping noise. all other possible items that might cause problem seems fine also (upper b-joint, etc) and sway bar liks and lower b-joints were also fine when changed. Any inputs appeciated.
Old 12-06-13, 09:45 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a video with sound clip might help.
Old 12-06-13, 10:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would lean towards a lower control arm bushing causing the pop. Don't think you can buy the bushing alone but you can get it without the ball joint. Air suspension struts do not have separate strut mounts. My lower arms were replaced by the previous owner at 99K miles.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-06-13 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 10:11 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy just lower control arm bushings. But need to get them pressed out/in with special tool.
Old 12-06-13, 10:20 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
You can buy just lower control arm bushings. But need to get them pressed out/in with special tool.
OEM or aftermarket? Most aftermarket are polyurethane and OEM are urethane. Poly tends to kill the ride and are much more rigid and hard. Not recommended.
Old 12-06-13, 10:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Looking more closely at my service records. It's called by the Lexus tech caster arm bushings that are attached to the lower control arms. They replaced both arms or both bushing. Does not say which but I think it's the whole arm.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-06-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 01:12 AM
ssdoeg2
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: front end noise

Thanks for the replies gents. sound only appears at slower speeds, will look into new control arms.
Old 12-07-13, 01:44 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar front noise as you described and replaced many parts recommended by this thread but the noise is still there. I'm now convinced my front left air shock is faulty. Mine sounds like a rumbling beating drum at low speed. I'll just have to live the noise til I'm ready to convert my air suspension to regular shocks.
Old 12-07-13, 05:30 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Zodiac - I don't know what you checked and/or replaced in the past, but wheel bearings make a "growling" sound and are quite easy to check. Just spin the wheels (off the ground) and listen & feel for any looseness or roughness.
Old 12-07-13, 07:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

If it's a groaning or rumbling the hub or wheel bearings are the problem. Knocking or popping sounds are usually worn bushing. The bearings can be going bad and not have much play. You need to pull the hub off to be sure. Leaking is really the only way airbags go.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-07-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 07:12 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
Zodiac - I don't know what you checked and/or replaced in the past, but wheel bearings make a "growling" sound and are quite easy to check. Just spin the wheels (off the ground) and listen & feel for any looseness or roughness.
Believe me, I checked every thread in this forum for front end noise. I really wish it's the wheel bearings. That would be an easy fix. Mine makes noise even during left or right turns. I feel mine air shock has been leaking for a very long time to the point it's dry inside.

Last edited by Zodiac; 12-07-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 10:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

When the air shocks go bad they leak all the fluid out and no longer hold air. Especially overnight. Plus the compressor would be kicking on all time. If it only makes noise when you turn that could also be the CV joints.
Old 12-10-13, 12:54 AM
ssdoeg2
Driver School Candidate

Default Re:

Again thanks for all inputs. Looked up lower control arm problems and read a reply on tightening the arm bolts, will give that a try. I think I'm in the same boat as Zodiac, problems seem identical. I had a 91LS and changed out front leaking shocks with arnott shocks which lasted about 2 1/2 years before they started having slow leaks. What I'm getting to is the differences between those air shocks and the ls430 air shocks. Anyone with some knowledge on the ls430 shocks, interested in that as I do not have a shop manual yet (ordered them a few days ago-helminc ones-hope they are as good as the factory ones that I had for the 91LS). Anyone with info or diagrams on the shocks and the connections to the air compressor just so I understand the setup a little better for troubleshooting purposes would be appreciated, I got fairly familiar with the 1st gen setup. I don't hear the air compressor kicking on at all but maybe I'll change the suspension from lo to hi and go outside to try and hear it. On the 91LS it was fairly noticeable when the compressor was running. Just have an uneasy feeling that the shocks might truly be the issue as Zodiac feels, but I'm not truly understanding of the shocks yet without the manuals. Many, many, many thanks guys
Old 12-10-13, 06:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I just grabbed a few images off Google. It's pretty straight forward.

I was going to buy the coils and shocks / struts and have them on standby for a swap but I found a really good deal on a set of lightly used 04 - 06 air bags. I have them as my backups now.

Also, did you check the caster arm bushings? Those are one of the first ones to go bad. I'm telling you. It's not your air shock. When they go bad you will know it for sure. They leak air and oil and that's it. What you describe does not sound like an air shock going out.

This link is for the GS but this gives you an idea of what to look at.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Attached Thumbnails front end noise-2009_07250003.jpg   front end noise-2011-11-18_113241_05_lex.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-10-13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:06 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Read here, watch videos.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...006-ls430.html

Quick Reply: front end noise