LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS 430 Easy-Close Drivers Door Lock Actuator

Old 10-23-13, 09:02 PM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2005 LS 430 Easy-Close Drivers Door Lock Actuator

I've seen many posts regarding actuator failures in the forums. There are numerous tutorials on replacing the motor for $5 to $10, but I have the Ultra model with the easy close door locks. This actuator is much larger and more complex.

Yesterday, I removed the door panel and tried to remove the actuator, but much to my chagrin, found it impossible due to it's size. I tried loosening the window tracks but that did not seem to help. In fact, I also experienced the windows all lowering, which broke the top brace of the actuator housing. frustrated, I reassembled the door and everything seems to work, except for the door lock actuator of course.

Can anyone out there give me some tips or guidance on how to extract the actuator assembly from the door panel?
Old 10-24-13, 11:04 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is a rear door, the actuator assembly can be wiggled out without loosening any hardware on the window itself. Getting it back in is a bit harder, but definitely possible. Unfortunately, the Lexus service manual leaves out some of the fine detail, but the overall procedure is reasonably well documented.
I have not tried a front door, so this may not apply to you.
Old 10-24-13, 07:51 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I have done it on a CL and it is same actuator as UL.

Disconnect the battery so that the window does not roll down.

It is difficult to get the actuator out but I disassembled some of it while in the door so that I could take it out. See pictures I posted in the other thread on how it looks like.
Old 10-25-13, 04:29 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I have done it on a CL and it is same actuator as UL.

Disconnect the battery so that the window does not roll down.

It is difficult to get the actuator out but I disassembled some of it while in the door so that I could take it out. See pictures I posted in the other thread on how it looks like.
It's not the same if the UL has Easy Close though. Don't know if it is much harder but the part is not the same. From what I understand you can just unbolt the actuator assembly instead of prying it open.
Old 10-25-13, 10:53 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

For US models, all CL and UL cars had the Power Door Closers (4 doors and Trunk).
Old 10-28-13, 02:06 AM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Well, I was able to remove the actuator assembly. It came out with some work, but not too difficult. Now I am trying to reinstall it and I cannot get the assembly to go around the window track, even though I removed the two bolts holding the track so that it would move slightly. I spent several hours on it yesterday. I even removed the track from the rubber and still I could not get it back in.

Has anyone had any experience with this so as to give me some tips or pointers on how to reinstall the actuator? I can't drive the car until the latch is reinstalled. Help!
Old 10-28-13, 07:44 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Is it a front door or rear door?
If rear, you do not need to loosen or remove anything extra. I don't have first-hand experience with the front.
Old 01-17-15, 08:15 PM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Default Update to previous thread

I ended up replacing the actuator assembly at a cost of about $550. It works fine, except that today I found that the right rear door is now failing. Although the part is smaller, the cost is higher than the front door ($572.00) Not good, considering that doing all four doors will run over $2000 in parts alone!

I see many posts showing the actuator opened up and the motor replaced. I could not get my front door assembly apart as it is glued together. Has anyone had success opening up these glued units? If so, what's the trick?
Old 01-18-15, 02:07 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hklinker
I ended up replacing the actuator assembly at a cost of about $550. It works fine, except that today I found that the right rear door is now failing. Although the part is smaller, the cost is higher than the front door ($572.00) Not good, considering that doing all four doors will run over $2000 in parts alone!

I see many posts showing the actuator opened up and the motor replaced. I could not get my front door assembly apart as it is glued together. Has anyone had success opening up these glued units? If so, what's the trick?
Where did u find the part for 550?? I thought it was around 800 at Sewell
Old 01-18-15, 05:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I did post my results in the main door lock actuator thread. The motor in the actuator is the same whether you have easy close or not. It's definitely worth doing yourself and saving 95%

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-18-15 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 12:53 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I just replaced the actuator motors in the two front doors of my 02 ULTRA with easy close doors. Completely remove the bolts holding the window rail. The window rail will then lift up to allow removal of the actuator. Comes out reasonably easy, but took about 10 minutes of maneuvering to replace it. As I have said, pay special attention to the position of the rail and the hook when removing it. When putting it back, you can see where the rail has to set against the actuator. Lift up the rail and guide the actuator under the rail.
As for taking apart the actuator, remove all the screws and torx screws. (can't remember now the exact amount) Pry the housing apart using a small screw driver. I did start with a razor knife. Only open enough to remove the motor and replace the with the new. Keep in place as much of the glue as possible. Replace all of the screw. It is a process and involved more than I expected, but it is worth the time. After 3 months, mine are still working great.
Old 02-06-15, 10:09 PM
hklinker
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus part $600, DIY $6.00

After the second actuator failed on my 05 LS 430, I went to my parts supplier and priced the rear actuator assembly. It was over $600 including shipping!

Since I still had the first actuator part from the front door I decided to see if I could get access to the motor. I removed all the screws, then took a utility knife and started working on the edge. After a minute, the blade penetrated the adhesive that held the two sides together.

The assembly has a wire harness at one end, but the actuator motor is at the opposite end. Pulling it apart like a clam shell, you can gain access to the smaller actuator motor. I placed a mini screwdriver blade under the screw gear and lifted gently. The motor popped right out.

I went to eBay and did a search for the motor. I took all of about a minute to come across the right site. There are many sites that sell the motor, but I think this is the best:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-Flat-Shaft-FC-280PC-22125-Door-Lock-Motor-Fix-Repair-Actuator-Toyota-Lexus/111519810843?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D9961efa2f4ee42d488a0b9724114ed43%26pid%3D100102%26
There were several different motors offered. This motor for the 2005 LS 430 with easy close is a flat shaft, 10mm shaft. The price: $6.50 each with free shipping. I bought two!

Removing the actuator assembly from the rear door was easier than the front as I did not have to remove the window track before removing the assembly. To save time I left the wiring pigtail attached to the door and just pulled the assembly out of the door. I removed the five bolts and the small screws from the motor assembly and used a knife to pop open the casing. The grease was dry and hard so I cleaned off as much as I could and put fresh lithium grease on the gear assemble before putting in the new motor. It snapped right in.

It took me longer to put the door panel back on than it did to replace the motor. It worked perfectly!

So, instead of paying $1200 to the dealer to replace the assembly, or spending $600 for the part to do it myself, I spent $6.50.

I call it the six dollar miracle.
Old 02-06-15, 10:17 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The same motors are used for folding mirrors and probably a few other places.
Old 02-07-15, 03:30 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hklinker
After the second actuator failed on my 05 LS 430, I went to my parts supplier and priced the rear actuator assembly. It was over $600 including shipping!

Since I still had the first actuator part from the front door I decided to see if I could get access to the motor. I removed all the screws, then took a utility knife and started working on the edge. After a minute, the blade penetrated the adhesive that held the two sides together.

The assembly has a wire harness at one end, but the actuator motor is at the opposite end. Pulling it apart like a clam shell, you can gain access to the smaller actuator motor. I placed a mini screwdriver blade under the screw gear and lifted gently. The motor popped right out.

I went to eBay and did a search for the motor. I took all of about a minute to come across the right site. There are many sites that sell the motor, but I think this is the best:

10mm Flat Shaft FC 280pc 22125 Door Lock Motor Fix Repair Actuator Toyota Lexus | eBay

There were several different motors offered. This motor for the 2005 LS 430 with easy close is a flat shaft, 10mm shaft. The price: $6.50 each with free shipping. I bought two!

Removing the actuator assembly from the rear door was easier than the front as I did not have to remove the window track before removing the assembly. To save time I left the wiring pigtail attached to the door and just pulled the assembly out of the door. I removed the five bolts and the small screws from the motor assembly and used a knife to pop open the casing. The grease was dry and hard so I cleaned off as much as I could and put fresh lithium grease on the gear assemble before putting in the new motor. It snapped right in.

It took me longer to put the door panel back on than it did to replace the motor. It worked perfectly!

So, instead of paying $1200 to the dealer to replace the assembly, or spending $600 for the part to do it myself, I spent $6.50.

I call it the six dollar miracle.

WOW!!! Incredible savings!! I would make my friend do it who's a genius, but we might need a tutorial!!
Old 02-08-15, 12:09 PM
Tmhender82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, but it is the front passenger door. It is very costly to replace. I have seen a tutorial on you tube on how to replace it. Just haven't done it due to the price of actuator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 LS 430 Easy-Close Drivers Door Lock Actuator