LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

GROM installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 10:14 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROM installed

For all those thinking about ditching the CD and moving on to newer tech, I highly recommend doing this (btw, I dont work for this company). Since my LS430 has factory BT phone connection already, I purchased the cheaper Android version of this ($98.99) from their site. At the beginning, I was a bit concerned about the wrong wiring harness shipped over but it turned out that cable labelled "LEX" works with my audio setup. Since there are multiple threads discussing how-to in terms of removing/re-insatalling, I will just focus on some suggestion/review.

1) don't be lazy to tape all around the work area. I have tan interior and any nick would stand out. So take your time to tape the general area to protect from pulled audio unit for it has sharp metal corners.

2) use plastic tools as much as you can. Harbour Freight sells set of plastic interior tools at about $6.

3) use magnetic or magnetized phillps and 10mm sockets. Once a screw or small bolt is dropped in the cavity, that is pretty much it.

4) this is a perfect DIY job for average Joe. It took me about 30 min to get to the unit and connect the Grom. Now I have done it once, it will take me much shorter time.

5) there is no reason to remove the nav unit, nor cut or solder any wires.

6) make sure to follow direction when it comes to using USB. 6 sub-folders must be created at the root level. Number of songs that can be placed under a folder is virtually limitless.

7) do the firmware upgrade and once it is done, delete that file from the USB that will be used as a music source (firmware is done by downloading .hex file to the USB key, renaming it as the direction, then plugging it it to the Grom after electric connection is made, unit till it stop flashing and you are done).

8) my Samsung Note 2 works perfectly with the unit, either via jack or USB-micro-to-USB connector that came with the unit. In other words, I could listen to streaming music from Pandora /Sky FM or any stored music on the phone by using AalinQ control software that can be downloaded.

9) Volume and track advance controls on the steering wheel works. The information about the song does not display on the audio/nav screen. The display info on the Nav screen is CD number (one of the 6 folder designation) and the track number. Also factory BT phone works as well. Incoming and outgoing call mutes the sound of music playing.

10) take some time to figure out where and how you are going to route the cables. I have not finalized my setup for I am waiting for my USB extension cable to arrive. The Grom did come with 'LEX" cable, phone jack, and USB-microUSB cable for Android phone but since the Grom has only one USB port available, I want to use an extension cable to be able to use USB stick and Android phone connector and have the ends of the jack and the USB extension cable out of sight and hide the Grom behind the current stereo unit in the cavity.

Now for the quality of the sound... I am pleasantly surprised as how good the sound quality is. I am positive it sounds a lot better than the factory CD. I have read on some threads that the volume being lowered than usual, however, it is not the case for me and the bass that I have previously complained about sounds far much richer. I am not sure why this is the case but over all, the quality of sound is far, far better than CD or FM.

One last thing I would like to mention is that the unit remembers the last song it played from your USB stick but every once in a while, the unit gets stuck and the light on the USB stick does not flash. It happened twice in couple of days of use. All that I had to do was to power off the audio and on. Not bad a price to pay.

Over all impression: I am very satisfied with the fact that I can listen to endless amount of music in long drives ( mostly from Bay to LA area) without subscribing to SAT, all for around $110. The sound quality is amazing and installation was a breeze.

cy

2005 LS430, tan/Cypress Green, 35k miles, Mark L stereo with SAT, No CD.

Last edited by gomboy60; 10-21-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 07:46 PM
snowy150
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting a GROM unit (either the android or the USB one) and have been trying to find out whether installing them prevents use of the CD changer.

I opened a query with the GROM support people, and they can't confirm whether the CD changer will still function.

FYI, mine is an Australian delivered LS430 with sat-nav. There's a picture attached of the back of the radio - both ports have factory cables connected at the moment.

Does anyone know whether they can both be connected at the same time? Can you switch between them without changing the cabling behind the radio?
Attached Thumbnails GROM installed-imag2082.jpg  
Old 10-22-13, 10:07 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i planning on doing this soon... quick question, why did you skip the blue tooth option? reason why i asked is because thats my primary reason on doing this mod.
Old 10-23-13, 03:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It works with Nav. I have it on mine. Not Australian of course but it should be fine.
Old 10-23-13, 06:33 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the more expensive version for 130 or 140? it displays songs on the screen just fine.
Old 10-23-13, 12:21 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snowy150,
the larger port on the right of the picture looks like the one that should be disconnected and connnected to one end of the 'LEX" cable. The "LEX" cable is "Y' shaped and one end connects to Grom, one end to the larger port on the right of your pic and the last one to the disconnected terminal, originally from the the larger port. The CD will not work at all. Make sure to eject all the CD in the unit before you do this. As for not purchasing the BT unit, my LS430 has factory BT phone connectivity and works well with this Grom. The music goes mute as soon as there is an in/out going call. Also I do not like or need to connect my phone's music via BT. Music sounds a lot better with hard cable or by USB stick.
Also I have finalized the location and the wiring last night. Since I did not want to drill a hole anywhere, I used 6 ft USB extension along the underside of the side plastic of the center console and tied them (the extension and jack cable) to the lower part of the seatbelt unit and put the remainder and the ends of the cable in the center console storage box. The placement of the Grom unit itself was in the cavity, right behind/below the lowest panel (one that has seat hot/cool button). That space was perfect size for the Grom. So at the end, only thing visible from the driver side is the couple of cables near the seatbelt unit to the center storage box. Capability of displaying song info is nice. I just did not know that is possible with more expensive version.
Hope this helps.

cy

Last edited by gomboy60; 10-23-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:12 AM
snowy150
Driver School Candidate

thanks gomboy60, your help is much appreciated.

UPDATE: GROM sent me both the LEX harness (for the right socket in the picture in my previous post) and the TOY harness (for the left socket). I can confirm that the TOY cable allows use of both the built in CD changer and the GROM-AND2 unit for Australian LS430s. One shows up as CD1 and the other as CD2.

Last edited by snowy150; 12-09-13 at 11:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-09-13, 10:54 PM
SGS3
Rookie

I plan to do this soon and could not find other threads about removing / installing. Can anyone point me to those threads? I really appreciate it.
Old 12-09-13, 11:17 PM
snowy150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGS3
I plan to do this soon and could not find other threads about removing / installing. Can anyone point me to those threads? I really appreciate it.
This one is pretty clear (you don't need to do the last step of taking the nav unit out though, just the cd changer unit) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...the-radio.html.

Another one here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-driving.html
Old 12-12-13, 10:57 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I installed mine last month. I do not like messing with iTunes I have android phones. more so I just wanted usb play back drag and drop files into folders and to hook up my s4 -Samsung if needed. sounds great was ok to put in. running the wire was little hard. it was to do more with the opening from dash to give box.

I have a 32gb usb stick in it I am sure will.take 64 as well.

only paid 100 -bucks can't best that.