LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Last Key You Will Ever Need

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 12:46 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Last Key You Will Ever Need

Having my key break off at the metal was the crowning touch to my Lexus key that kept losing its one tiny little screw.

I went to the dealer in Sacramento and was helped by a very good parts employee. He said he could remake a Lexus key for $89.95 or make me a non-Lexus Eternity Key for $119.95.

He showed my the Eternity Key which was developed by a guy in Granite Bay, CA. There is no comparison. The Eternity Key is built like a brick sxxxhouse. It has 4 small screws to keep your electronics in the key.

The parts fellow says most of the Lexus dealers in CA are carrying the key.

Check it out.

Last edited by ebolger; 10-11-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 01:29 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just googled it. Looks very nice. I contacted them to see how I could get one in my area. Seems the dealer network is small so hopefully I can buy direct.
Old 10-11-13, 02:11 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully others can buy it as well.
The dealer can laser cut and the electronics fit right in.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-13, 02:49 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

That great!
Thanks for posting.
For anyone in the Philly area I found a place called Van's lock shop in Ambler PA.
They cut 4 keys for me over the last 4 years. Just had one done in the summer. $40 to cut and program. Great deal.
Old 10-11-13, 02:54 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't need that key. I have a smart key and never insert a key into the ignition! It is the last key I will ever need.
Old 10-11-13, 03:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Don't need that key. I have a smart key and never insert a key into the ignition! It is the last key I will ever need.
Amazing how convenient it is to not even remove your keys from your pocket to really do everything. I've found I don't hardly use the fob at all. Don't even touch the key. Not to unlock or lock the car or turn her on. Fantastic.
Old 10-11-13, 03:13 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what you guys do with your keys...I have a '99 RX and never had a key issue like breaking off.
Old 10-11-13, 03:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I must be the only Smart Key owner that actually uses the key.

To be honest I would prefer to have a regular key like this and not a smart one.

Last edited by Kira X; 10-11-13 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 03:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I must be the only Smart Key owner that actually uses the key.

To be honest I would prefer to have a regular key like this and not a smart one..\
Have you tried not using it? Just using sensors at the doors and lock button. Take a little getting used to but not much.
Old 10-11-13, 09:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Cool

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Have you tried not using it? Just using sensors at the doors and lock button. Take a little getting used to but not much.
I've used it a few times but it didn't seem to work as well as I expected. I always have to use the key's button to unlock the doors because it takes too long for the smart key to do it while in my pocket. Plus the lock/unlock feature doesn't even work if I'm wearing thick sweat pants or if it's my jacket pocket.

Starting the car with the key in my pocket works fine but I never cared to use it. I drove an 07 IS250 and it's smart key worked way better than my 05 LS' did. If the LS' smart Key worked as well as the IS I would use it a lot more.
Old 10-12-13, 07:44 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I've used it a few times but it didn't seem to work as well as I expected. I always have to use the key's button to unlock the doors because it takes too long for the smart key to do it while in my pocket. Plus the lock/unlock feature doesn't even work if I'm wearing thick sweat pants or if it's my jacket pocket.

Starting the car with the key in my pocket works fine but I never cared to use it. I drove an 07 IS250 and it's smart key worked way better than my 05 LS' did. If the LS' smart Key worked as well as the IS I would use it a lot more.
Sounds like you might need a new battery in your smart key. The car should sense your smart battery from several feet from the car. Have never experienced a delay as you are seeing.
Old 10-12-13, 08:37 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes if you have another remote or cell phone next to your smart key, it will cause it to not operate. I have had my range rover key and lexus key in the same pocket and the locks wouldn't work. this has also happened with my cell phone. Once separated, everything works as it should.
Old 10-12-13, 08:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Sounds like you might need a new battery in your smart key. The car should sense your smart battery from several feet from the car. Have never experienced a delay as you are seeing.
I was thinking the same thing. How long does the battery last? I got it replaced a year ago.

Originally Posted by daddykay24
Sometimes if you have another remote or cell phone next to your smart key, it will cause it to not operate. I have had my range rover key and lexus key in the same pocket and the locks wouldn't work. this has also happened with my cell phone. Once separated, everything works as it should.
I usually have my phone in the same pocket. I'll try it without my phone being in the same pocket.
Old 10-13-13, 11:53 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I was thinking the same thing. How long does the battery last? I got it replaced a year ago.

Batteries usually last several years for me. I remember the first time my battery died and it wouldn't unlock the door. I nearly panicked, thinking I was stranded, until I remembered that there was a mechanical key in it

I usually have my phone in the same pocket. I'll try it without my phone being in the same pocket.
You previously mentioned that the smartkey wasn't sensed through sweat pants. I just ran a test, putting my smart key in a heavy leather work glove and rolling it up until it was encased by 8 layers of leather, holding it behind my and then opening the door. No problem in the smart key being sensed and operating properly. I also found that the door sensor had no problem when I was wearing the glove.

I also put my smart key on top of my iphone and there was no problem there either.

I think you definitely have something wrong.
Old 10-13-13, 12:51 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

You previously mentioned that the smartkey wasn't sensed through sweat pants. I just ran a test, putting my smart key in a heavy leather work glove and rolling it up until it was encased by 8 layers of leather, holding it behind my and then opening the door. No problem in the smart key being sensed and operating properly. I also found that the door sensor had no problem when I was wearing the glove.

I also put my smart key on top of my iphone and there was no problem there either.

I think you definitely have something wrong.
Yeah there might be something wrong with it. I'll try my other smart key and see how it works. I've always used the same one ever since I bought the car.

Quick Reply: The Last Key You Will Ever Need