LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight restore issue

Old 09-22-13, 10:14 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight restore issue

I have a problem. I have removed my headlights to use the 3m headlight restore kit and it seems to not have worked. I did this on the inside and outside of the lens. I am not sure why it is not working. Is it because I did the inside of the lens? Or because I am doing the kit wrong? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-23-13, 04:52 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

If your lights are very yellow or have visible scratches you will have to be more aggressive. I have wet sanded with as coarse as 600 grit working up to 1500 grit (also wet) then using ultimate compound with foam pads.

I believe the general idea is to start as gentle as possible to gauge the amount of removal required. You did this as the kits you buy tend to be pretty safe.

I now use the same foam pads and 7" buffer that I use on the car. More power and quicker. You have to watch the amount of heat you are building up on the lens-you don't want the lens to get hot.
Old 09-23-13, 06:15 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Plus, you will have to continue to do this. There is no permanent fix.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-24-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 07:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

These restoration products are only for the lens exterior and do not require removal of the headlights or the lenses from them.
Old 09-23-13, 08:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you have used coarse sandpaper or pad to take down the yellowed or fogged surface you will have to come back up with finer grades of paper or pads and finally finish with a polisher. Once the surface has been rough sanded to remove oxidized layer you have to then re-finish and re-polish it to bring it back to perfectly smooth crystal clarity. And put wax and/or sealant with UV protection on it frequently to protect surface from UV
Old 09-23-13, 05:47 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I did the inside of the lens because there is also a yellow shade from inside of the lens.
Old 09-23-13, 06:36 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pictures would help so we can see exactly what is going on. I have never seen a lens that had yellowing on the inside.
Old 09-24-13, 05:19 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

And yes... you either need to be aggressive with a mild abrasive (rubbing compound) or not so aggressive with a not so mild abrasive. In the end you'll need to use a mild abrasive to polish it out and get the scratches out... this does work, but it takes time and elbow grease. I've done it on a few vehicles and it makes a world of difference. I finish it up with a couple of coats of was on the plastic. Never bought a kit, the rubbing compound with micro fiber towels has always worked well for me.
Old 09-24-13, 06:08 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Was going to make a thread about this same issue...im goin thru it too. My lights werent THAT bad but I knew they could be better and happened to see one of those "as seen on tv" kits at FRYs. I bought it...used it and it made my lights worse....much worse

thats what i get for being lazy and not wanting to sand them the proper way
Old 09-24-13, 10:11 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

After speaking with a few body shops, who obviously sand and paint many items, there is no miracle fix. Wet sanding to remove the oxidation does work but obviously you also remove the protective coating that protects the plastic. I was also told that spraying a clear coat was also not a good idea. Besides continued cleaning / sanding an waxing to protect the plastic there seems to be no real fix to the oxidation and discoloration.
Old 09-24-13, 12:23 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a shame there's no cost effective way to simply replace the plastic lens. If you went to a dealer, you'd probably be looking at over $2,000 for a pair of headlight assemblies.

On many cars, there's aftermarket support that make this economical, but not LS430s.

I'd recommend buying one of the better headlight restore kits. 3M and Sylvania both make a highly rated one.
Old 09-24-13, 12:46 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Porter Cable buffer and Meguires Professional Series plastic cleaner and polish on my headlights. Results are stunning. I'll post pics later of before and after.
Old 09-24-13, 06:31 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I use Collinite 845 for my car and use it on headlights too. My headlights look like new.
Just protect them well so that you won't have to go through recovery.
Old 09-24-13, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Granted my car is garaged but I keep it clean and wax a couple of times a year, including wax on headlight plastic. The car is a 2006 but the headlight plastic lenses are crystal clear and still look brand new. Keeping the lenses clean and waxed helps fight oxidation but my guess is that being garaged during the day out of the sun 90% of the time makes the most difference.
Old 09-25-13, 02:55 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best result is wet sand and finish off with a DA. If you don't have a DA but have a wood sander. It work almost the same. Just attach a microfiber towel and use whatever product you want to cute and polish it. I saw this on YouTube. Tacky as it sound but it worked well. Oh and I use a product called "303" on my headlight lens. One of the best stuff against UV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight restore issue