LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Shims

Old 09-05-13, 11:46 AM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Shims

Doing my brakes on my '04 LS 430 for first time. Been through all of the brake pad posts (thanks, they are incredible aid) and haven't seen answer to this.

How do the brake shims go in? My originals aren't on car, gone I suspect when I had an independent do the brakes 1st time. Never had a problem w/ noise, but I don't have an example to go by, and photos from posts don't show how shims go in.

There are two shims for each pad. For each shim, one side is shiny, one side anodized (?). I assume they go shiny side to shiny side w/ supplied grease in between. They are shaped slightly differently, and I'm not sure which one is inboard--next to pad, and which is outboard--next to pistons.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, and thanks for a great forum.
Old 09-05-13, 02:09 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Shims are easy to put in proper place. The holes at the top of the shim should end up in line with the retaining pin holding the pads in place inside the calipers. The orientation of the shims is coated side against the pad and the shinny side out. The next shim goes coated side against shinny.

In this order: pad back -> coated side of inner shim -> shinny side of outer shim ->piston

I suggest you clean the shims well with brake cleaner or similar and then add a light amount of HIGH temp synthetic grease between pad and the shims. I also, use "Brake Quite" in the spray can available at any good auto parts store to eliminate squeals. I chose to spray Brake Quite as a layer on the shinny side of outer most shim that contacts the pistons, and no where else. I assumed the shims are meant to slide around a bit and applying Brake Quite would prevent this as its tacky.

Its been about 2 weeks now since doing the brakes and not a peep out of them.

Here is a good video to show you the process and orientation of the shims. BTW, the Lexus is by far the easiest brake job i have ever done, very good design for service.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Galco
Old 09-05-13, 03:16 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

used the same cotter pin and used the same bolts,didnt torque bolts
The following users liked this post:
Xeus430 (03-17-22)
Old 09-06-13, 04:37 PM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Galco. I'd seen that video, but hadn't looked at it closely enough. If you stop it, you can see the shim orientation and which is inboard and which is outboard.

Yep jimbosr1, he uses same bolts and anti-seize, both of which are official no-nos, but there's plenty of real-world commentary about that not mattering. FWIW, when I told dealer service writer that I was going to do my own brakes, first thing he said was make sure to replace bolts. Upsell? Maybe. But it is the brakes, risk to safety, however small, would trump the few bucks difference IMHO. I think my rotors are ok (pretty sure, at one point thought I had a warp type noise but now not certain), so I won't be pulling them.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-13, 05:58 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

main thing is NOT to grease these shims!!!!! just a good clean. grease there = soft pedal (softer than normal)
Old 09-06-13, 07:21 PM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

Factory shim kit comes with grease. The only service manual pic I found here was for a GS, but it showed both sides of the inner shim getting grease.
Old 09-07-13, 02:39 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Toyota/Lexus models vary on where to grease the shims depending on year and model that you own. It is best to consult the real factory repair manual for your specific Lexus to see which sides of which shims should be greased. In some rare cases, only part of one side of a shim should be greased.

If you do not own the factory repair manual (then what are you doing working on it? ) you can go to the factory's Toyota Information System online resource and read or download the appropriate shop manual pages - this costs $15 for a 2 day pass, which sometimes stretches to nearly 3 days!

PS - always use the genuine Toyota shims, or we will be hearing you coming with the tell-tale squeal before you get here!
Old 09-07-13, 07:28 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Grease is to lube the edges only. Where pad slides inside the caliper.