LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

$10K-$15K budget: LS or Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 11:46 PM
luxforless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $10K-$15K budget: LS or Honda Civic

I am in the market for a $10K to $15K used car. I was recently in my friend's GX and was really impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was, even in the 2nd row middle seat where I sat. I have no need for an SUV, but I would like to buy a very comfortable and reliable sedan.

With the same money, I could buy a lightly used Honda Civic, but I want the comfort, quietness, safety, and performance of the LS. My main concern is the LS' higher cost of ownership such as maintenance, insurance, fuel, and other costs. I am looking at non-UL LS models, since I want lower repair costs. I will only repair mechanical damage and broken AC, since I can live with dents, broken stereo, having to hold the trunk lid open, etc. I drive about 7000 miles per year, not a lot.

Approximately how much more expensive per year would it be to own the LS instead of the Civic? Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-22-13, 01:09 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a nice well taken care of LS for less than $15k

You just gotta be patient. It took me 3 months to find mine just last week for $12k w/ 93k miles

Its out there just gotta keep looking on the daily. And settling for a civic? Come on bro theres no comparison.
Old 08-22-13, 06:06 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

civic or a ls430
Old 08-22-13, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
civic or a ls430
Old 08-22-13, 07:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

You're kidding right?
Based on that you want: ' but I would like to buy a very comfortable and reliable sedan.'
That rules out the civic immediately
And for less than $15k you can get a very clean LS 430 with 100k on it that will last a long time. There are at least 3 for sale in the Dallas area for that much or less that look very clean.
Maintenance is no more than other cars...especially with how little you drive. Fluids/Brakes/filters... just like all cars and this site can always help you.
As for gas cost...look at 40 cents higher price for premium in TX and then do the math:
7000/20 mpg avg * .4 = $140 more a year in gas... if that's going to break the bank...then you need to go get your civic.
My dad recently wanted to downsize from his 93 LS400 to something smaller and better gas mileage. Found him a low mileage 98 Avalon... after a week in the Avalon, he wanted his 20 year old Lexus back.
Be warned: you can get spoiled.
Old 08-22-13, 09:10 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am still driving an LS400 that I bought new in 1991.
I think it is fair to say that when something breaks, it is more expensive to fix (mostly in labor, although parts can be quite a bit higher than on other cars like the Civic).
However, the car is a tank, and repairs are less frequent than on others. So, if you choose to do your own work, maintenance costs are fairly low.
You might also look at one of the larger Hyundai models. I know several people that are very happy with theirs.
Legender is wrong - you can get addicted, not just spoiled. :-) I can't imagine driving anything else.
Old 08-22-13, 01:11 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

These are such different cars in so many areas - handling, comfort, weight, options, MPG, HP, cost to repair if something major breaks, etc.

One common thread is that they are both very reliable. Likely a Civic may be just slightly more reliable because it has far fewer options. The Lexus is extremely reliable but parts and repair can be costly.

If you can do normal routine minor maintenance (filters, oil, brakes, etc) yourself and shop for parts wisely the cars are actually likely to be very close in normal maint costs.

So you really need to drive both and decide what is important to you - big luxury cruiser or nimble but humble sporty sedan.

I had a 4 door plain jane Civic briefly in the late 80's and I hated every single economical second of driving it. Gave it to my 80 yo mother in law after 2 years because I could not stand driving it. We did own a couple of Accords and those were much more to our liking.

Also check with your insurance agent - Civics in some areas are the most often stolen car and can have surprisingly high insurance costs.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-22-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 01:59 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yes, think this is going to come down to how much you value the superior ride and comfort of the LS. If those aren't important to you, get the Civic. No question you can get a low mileage Civic that is highly likely to be somewhat more reliable than the higher mileage LS for the same amount of money. Thats not certain but it is likely...yes the LS is a very reliable car but i really doubt it will be as reliable as say a 2 yr old civic. the civic will of course have better gas mileage but with only 7k a year that probably doesn't matter much. if you're willing to tolerate some risk, value the comfort of the LS, and do basic maintenance yourself, then its a no brainer..get the LS.
Old 08-22-13, 03:50 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

So, OP, there is no middle ground, is it?

Four years ago I made a decision between Camry and LS430. Both Toyota cars and very reliable. I am very happy with my decision even if the things broke and I fixed them. LS430 also has held more resale value compared to now 4 year old Camry. This is just based on how new cars depreciate faster than used cars.
Old 08-22-13, 05:07 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chinese food or ruth chris, ok dim sum
funny guy
Old 08-22-13, 08:50 PM
max2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexus is the most reliable brand for car.
Old 08-23-13, 03:53 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha... i like my women sexy, do i want kate upton or snooky? If you can find an LS for $15k in good condition, it's $45k off. $15k for a civic is $6k off tops. Not even a.choice really. I had '95 civic that went 220k trouble free before i sold it, so i love civics too.
Old 08-23-13, 06:47 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to ask, buy the Civic because it's exactly what you're looking for, not the LS. When stuff starts to break on the LS, a single part will be more than the monthly payments.
Old 08-23-13, 06:57 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4umha
...*When stuff starts to break on the LS, a single part will be more than the monthly payments.
If the wrong thing on LS breaks, it could be the monthly rent or mortgage...
Old 08-23-13, 08:55 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing similar about these vehicles is the color of the money spent...green. Nobody on an LS430 forum will make this decision for you.

Quick Reply: $10K-$15K budget: LS or Honda Civic