LS430: UL vs CL? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 09:55 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The cool box is only a fall out of the independent A/C in the rear that only the UL has. The rear A/C is a big advantage to people who live in a hot climate. Very few luxury cars offer this option. I dare say that many people that own a LS430 are unaware of the rear A/C in the UL.
That's very true about the rear A/C. I've never been in a car that had an A/C setup like the LS. People seem to love it when they ride in my back seat and does help cool the car down faster.
Old 08-21-13, 06:21 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would get the UL if it had a pass thru, too bad.
Old 08-21-13, 07:55 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My last LS430 was an UL. Yes, i never sat in the back in the 4 years of ownership but I guess I got it for "bragging rights" haha. It was a 2001 and had 177,000 miles on it when I traded it in for a 2006 modern luxury with 20,000 miles. Never had any problems with the air suspension until a month before I traded it, I was informed by lexus that the drivers front strut had developed a very slow leak. Other than that, I didn't have any problems with the air suspension or any of the "goodies" that the UL comes with.

I did you the rear a/c to help cool the car because I live in florida. I always wondered if it was a completely separate a/c unit, with compressor condenser, etc. or if it was just a separate a/c and heat blower and the speed was independently controlled from the main a/c blower...
Old 08-21-13, 08:32 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear A/C uses the same compressor, but the rest of the system is independent of the front.
It should be noted that the rear circulation system includes a very fancy photo-optic (I forget the exact terminology) air purifier. My guess is that it was designed to accommodate a heavy smoker VIP passenger.
Old 08-22-13, 06:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Seeing as how the UL has the same size AC compressor and condenser as non-UL models, I'm not sure how much better cooling it would really have versus the simpler rear vent system.

I think the advantage mainly lies in the ability of rear passengers to fine tune the temperature.
Old 08-22-13, 06:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The rear A/C has it's own expansion/cooling process as the front. It easily produces more cooling than the single system. The rear filter has a UV bulb that is proven to kill bacteria. It is on at any time the rear system is on. A UL will cool down and maintain a cool temperature in very little time. This is not just something to "look" like it might provide more cooling. Don't forget the overhead vents that the rear A/C is ducted into.

If you haven't experienced it, don't knock it because you don't understand it. End of story.
Old 08-22-13, 07:58 PM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have actual personal experience in cooling abilities between the UL and non-UL cars? The UL sounds like it has a sophisticated rear cooling setup. Also how much trunk space is lost?

How much smoother does the UL air suspension ride compared to the standard suspension? The only cars I have driven were no UL cars.
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can see comparison pictures in post #84 of the thread titled "How to tell if LS430 is equipped with Ultra Luxury Package?". It looks to me like you lose about 6 to 8 inches of the smaller space at the front of the trunk.
Old 08-22-13, 08:32 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The rear A/C has it's own expansion/cooling process as the front. It easily produces more cooling than the single system. The rear filter has a UV bulb that is proven to kill bacteria. It is on at any time the rear system is on. A UL will cool down and maintain a cool temperature in very little time. This is not just something to "look" like it might provide more cooling. Don't forget the overhead vents that the rear A/C is ducted into.

If you haven't experienced it, don't knock it because you don't understand it. End of story.
It sounds like you don't understand much about AC systems.

You can't "produce" cooling, you can only move heat from one place to another. The heat is taken to the same front condenser as the standard models.

If the car had dual condensers or a larger compressor, I could see it cooling the car down faster, but it's just splitting the same capacity among two evaporators. It's more about the rear being able to decide their own temperature.

So if both the front and the rear set it for the coldest setting, the whole car would not cool down any faster. You're just splitting up the same capacity.
Old 08-22-13, 09:18 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Yes, like I said up there^^ I had an UL and now have a Modern Luxury car so it doesn't have the separate rear a/c.

I do notice a very slight difference in cooling especially in south florida but not a huge difference by any means. In my opinion, I ride in my friends cars all the time and the LS430 cooling system is very very powerful even in the non UL cars. I have never found myself saying "wow its taking a long time to get cool in here". On hot days, I get in and start the car put the a/c to cool setting and turn fan to high and it cools down fast. I find this in both the UL and my new Modern Luxury. I like it cold in my car and whenever I pick somebody up they almost always ask me to turn the air up because they are always cold in both my UL and Custom Luxury 430.

However, if you have a lot of people that are going to be riding in the rear and want it cooler, you can just turn theirs up to high in the back for more cooling back there.

So to summarize what I'm saying lol I would not buy an UL over a custom luxury car for example just because it has a rear a/c that may cool the car a little faster. i promise the normal a/c in a 430 will keep you plenty cool.
Old 08-22-13, 09:25 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Also, I can visually see a difference in the trunk spaces of the UL and non UL but I never had any issues either way. You loose space in the narrow part of the trunk where you couldn't really put anything big anyway.

I do notice a difference in the suspensions. I cannot say if it is because my modern luxury car has the 18" rims or not but the car has a slightly more sporty ride than the UL had. I kinda thought the UL was more floaty of a suspension where the modern luxury I have now is more connected to the road. Both very smooth but there is a difference.
I might suggest to try and drive both. If you have a few lexus dealers or private sellers in your area that have both an UL and non UL car go and drive both. Members can type their opinions on the forum but actually getting behind the wheel would be a great experience for you
Old 08-23-13, 03:49 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried several UL and non-UL when.shopping and from the local driving i did, i could not really notice much difference. I'm sure the suspension wasn't at low for the test and.honestly, that wasn't something i played with. I did notice however.the CL and UL with double pane glass were quieter than the lower LS'.
Old 08-23-13, 02:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
It sounds like you don't understand much about AC systems.

You can't "produce" cooling, you can only move heat from one place to another. The heat is taken to the same front condenser as the standard models.

If the car had dual condensers or a larger compressor, I could see it cooling the car down faster, but it's just splitting the same capacity among two evaporators. It's more about the rear being able to decide their own temperature.

So if both the front and the rear set it for the coldest setting, the whole car would not cool down any faster. You're just splitting up the same capacity.
Really? Maybe you can explain how this happens in the real world. When the car has baked in the sun and the A/C turned on after starting the car with the rear A/C turned off, and the front set on auto, the front blower is at maximum speed with maximum volumetric flow and the coolant capacity is also maximized. When you then turn the rear A/C on auto, that blower and cooling system is also maximized and starts to deliver cool air to the rear. Nothing happens to the front A/C system when the rear is turned on. The front airflow and temperature is not affected whatsoever. How does that not cool the car down quicker? Maybe you've missed something in your basic assumptions of how this system is designed and functions.
Old 09-20-13, 12:41 AM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp
I've been diligently searching for a mint 04-06 LS430 and recently passed on a clean 06 CL wondering if I should get one with the Ultra Luxury package instead.

Originally, I had my heart set on a CL, since I like the ML audio, but most importantly I want the additional leather on the doors, console and dash as well as the alcantara headliner. The laminated side glass is a plus as well, since it's supposedly quieter. However, recently I have been thinking about the UL, but this may be due to other members recent UL acquisitions.

The reason I initially passed on the idea of buying a UL was the fear of costly air suspension failures versus the CL's conventional dampers. However, am I being overly paranoid about the UL's suspension reliability and cost to repair? I was under the impression the cost to replace a single air shock approached $1000.

I have to admit I like the novelty of the UL's additional toys; shades, AC/audio controls and recliner, but only my kids will ever use these features. Also, I will be leaving the car bone stock and have no intentions of ever lowering it. My primary objective is to buy a clean car that is luxurious, comfortable and most of all reliable.

Which one do you guys think is the better overall choice?

Thanks!
Okay, I now know ul means 'ultra luxury,' but what do the other abbreviations mean?
Old 09-20-13, 02:45 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 740ilsamue
Okay, I now know ul means 'ultra luxury,' but what do the other abbreviations mean?
CL = custom luxury and ML = modern luxury

Quick Reply: LS430: UL vs CL? Which is better?