LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just Bought 06 UL ls430 and need help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 07:04 PM
Bostonfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Just Bought 06 UL ls430 and need help plz!

Hi ,

This is my first post in the forum . I just got a used 2006 UL ls430 with 39000 miles , very clean car and i took it to the dealer to check it out and they informed me that i should change the brake pads. The Quoted me to change the front pads and resurface the rotors for me for about $330 . I am not spending that much on just a front brake pads .

I searched this form and found out its really easy to change them , i ordered the parts online from Factory Lexus Parts and i got the front and rear brake pads along with the bolts for about $137 shipped . (Great deal btw)

Now i need to install them but i have no idea how , if any member lives near South florida and can help me out in this I'm gonna pay him for his time and troubles and i really appreciate that Or if any member can advise me of a local brake shop in south florida who doesn't charge a lot for installation would be really appreciated.
Thank you
Old 08-19-13, 07:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Searching is your friend.

Go here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html

Then you would see this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-w-photos.html
Old 08-19-13, 07:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

$330 seems like a reasonable price for front pads and machining the rotors at a Lexus dealer - just had it done 6 weeks ago at my local Lexus dealer. The indie shop here in Kansas I sometimes use would charge about $275 not including the wear sensor. If you are balking at the price and don't have the basic skills to do a front brake job, then I think you are in for a rude awaking as to how expensive these cars are to maintain.

My opinion is that the rotors should always be machined when the pads are replaced - no matter how good they look. I've regretted it when I didn't have the rotors machined but I'm looking for a perfectly smooth ride.

40,000 is pretty early for an LS430 to require front pads but maybe the previous driver(s) drove it hard. The minimum acceptable thickness is only one millimeter. I almost always let the wear sensor set off the warning in the instrument cluster. I've found it's cheaper to replace the wear sensor and minimize the number of brake jobs during the life of a car.
Old 08-19-13, 07:32 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you don't want to tackle it yourself, ask the forum members in the local chapter of the Florida Lexus Club. I'm sure a member can help you out or recommend a mechanic. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...exus-club-177/
Old 08-19-13, 08:24 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I replaced front and rear pads myself without touching my rotors and my brakes operate smooth as silk. So I don't think it is necessary to touch rotors as long rotors are very smooth and the brakes operate smooth before replacing worn pads. Of course if brakes are vibrating, making noise, or rotors are grooved beforehand that is a different story.

If you don't feel comfortable doing your own brakes, call around to 2-3 small independent shops that work on Japanese imports and tell them you are looking for lowest labor quote for front pad replace only on an LS430 and that you will bring in your OEM brake parts. Labor charge should be about 1-1.5 hr max. So maybe $75-120 at an independent. Feel free to tell them that it will take literally 30 min to replace front pads and that's if they go slow and take their time.

You don't need the caliper bolts unless you plan to cut the rotors so save those bolts for another time. The pads can be replaced without dismounting the calipers - easiest brake pads I have ever seen.

One thing you may want to consider depending on when it was last done is to have them also do a full brake fluid flush at same time.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-19-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 06:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Great you want to save money... but also helps if you know what you're doing. Prepare to bone up on simple mechanics and get some good tools if you want to save money. This site will help plenty...but most of the savings will come from you doing the research and the work.
And... I'd take another look at those pads to see if they really need replacing...
Many, but not all, dealerships will recommend work as that is how they make their money... before the car really needs it.
Old 08-20-13, 08:43 AM
Bostonfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Guys so much for your fast replies . Im really glad i have a lexus and i joined this Awsome fourm. I think i will go ahead and buy some tools and change them by myself .
I will post some pics .

Again you guys are Amazing and thanks for all those replies .
Old 08-20-13, 09:55 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to www.garageyourself.com, you can rent a lift and make the job real easy for you, $20/hr, plus the owner Todd is real nice and he has an LS430 himself and can help you out. They have all the tools there that you'll need plus air tools. Brake pad replacement is so easy its a joke. Don't turn the rotors unless you have a wobble in the wheel when you brake.
Old 08-20-13, 02:21 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

agree with others....i did my brakes a while ago and was truly surprised at how easy it was to change the pads. honestly if you have the slightest ability to turn a wrench you can handle it. $60 for a set of front pads from sewell or probably any place, and figure maybe 30 minutes to get it done, including jacking time.