2006 Irritating squeak / rattle / creak

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-13, 08:43 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 2006 Irritating squeak / rattle / creak

Hi guys,
recently I hear a squeak on the inside of my car when traveling on roads that are even slightly bumpy. It is on and off and doesn't begin until the car has had a few minutes to get cold inside. It doesn't take only a big bump to make the noise. As you can imagine, now that I hear it thats all I focus on when I'm in the car. I have determined it is coming from the passenger side around the top of the nav and/or around the top of the dash near windshield or airbag. If I push in and out on the dash or the center non-movable switch on the passenger air adjustment buttons I can duplicate the squeak.

Does anybody else have this problem? I have done a search however I cant find any solutions. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-13, 07:18 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

same creak, drives me crazy, no fix yet
Old 08-19-13, 08:39 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

hmmmm hopefully someone else chimes in... I dont want to go to lexus and start puling apart the dash.
Old 08-20-13, 06:02 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

I suspect that the source of that creak is some friction between forward part of dash and windshield.
I remember some people off RX forum putting strips of rubber there (between dash and windscreen) to make it go away.
Please post your experience here - i hope we can find it and fix it together.
Old 08-20-13, 07:41 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take off the dash panels starting at the bottom and work your way up to the panel surrounding the nav. Remove the nav surround panel and inspect the felt lining on the four attachment points where it snaps into the dash frame. They could be worn, this is quite common. Use a piece of electrical tape or other similar soft barrier to restore a cushioned non metal-to-metal contact of the attachment points and reinstall. This is a simple and effective fix and has been discussed here before so a good search shoul reveal plenty of info about it.
Old 08-20-13, 08:52 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, not in my case (and i suspect not in OP case).
I removed my nav unit numerous times, and i felt-taped the crap out of there. It's silent.

Sound is coming from right tweeter area -ish. I'm almost convinced, that it's dash-to-windscreen contact.
Old 08-20-13, 09:48 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt there's any contact between the dash and the glass, the glass should be secured to the metal frame of the car body only. Maybe check the glove boxes? Drive with them open and see if the noise still occurs? Try pulling out the air vent and making sure the contact points are lubricated/isolated, also try pulling out the air temp switch next to the nav and lube the surround...
Old 08-20-13, 03:26 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Insulting, simply insulting... I am not simple. I have this for 3 years and i have car noise ocd. I have padding everywhere possible. This sound is coming from between the dash and windscreen.
I will try to check with russian RX forum people about this. They had some pics and there's even a TSB about that for some lexi.
Old 08-20-13, 08:46 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

I have removed the part up until I get to the NAV just to make sure but everything seems fine. From what I can tell, mine seems to be coming from the area towards the windshield as well/ the area towards the passenger tweeter area like Lynzoid.

Ancdmd, just to make sure the clips are OK like you are describing, How would I go about taking off the trim that goes around the NAV so i can check the felt on the clips? Do I need to take out the entire NAV including the screen and everything? How many bolts hold it in?
Old 08-21-13, 06:28 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

If I remember correctly, the surround is held in place by four pins that are just friction-fit into the dash frame. Gently pry the surround outward and it should come off. But to be sure, check below the surround for any bolts, and also pry out each of the two temperature controls next to the surround to make sure there aren't any bolts there. You will not need to remove the screen itself. You may also try removing each of the temperature controls next to the surround, they pry out too. But if you are confident the sound is more to the side by the tweeter then I wouldn't worry about the nav surround at this time.
Old 08-21-13, 06:40 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

crazy talk. nav bezel is affixed to the screen unit in many many places and is NOT removable apart from the whole unit. unless something is broken.
Old 08-21-13, 12:01 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

It was a long time ago that I removed the nav from my car so I may be mistaken. Either way, if you have to remove the entire assembly then it requires removal of the temp switches to get to the bolts. Once the whole thing is out you should be able to take the trim off. Here's a pic of the trim assembly.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ith-vents.html

Last edited by ancdmd; 08-21-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 05:02 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

i did that about 3 times. have nothing to do with described noise. i know exactly what op is talking about.
Old 08-21-13, 07:09 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I doubt there's any contact between the dash and the glass, the glass should be secured to the metal frame of the car body only. Maybe check the glove boxes? Drive with them open and see if the noise still occurs? Try pulling out the air vent and making sure the contact points are lubricated/isolated, also try pulling out the air temp switch next to the nav and lube the surround...
Ref the dash and glass. It might be worth checking the glass to see if it is a replacement glass. The OEM glass will have LEXUS and DOT 20 on the discriptor on the left lower part of the glass. Replacement glass is generally so bad that Lexus will not CPO a car that does not have OEM glass (DOT 20).

Last edited by jayclapp; 08-22-13 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo: had COP instead of proper CPO
Old 08-21-13, 07:58 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

hmmm, not sure on the glass. the car only has 22K miles on it so if they did replace that glass that would be nuts but you never know. I'll check tomorrow and report back.
Its just so upsetting to have the noise. I notice it more on some trips more that others. Wonder what I would wedge in between the dash and the windshield to stop it?

Quick Reply: 2006 Irritating squeak / rattle / creak