LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS430 - How should the engine sound from inside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 02:48 PM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 LS430 - How should the engine sound from inside the car?

Just purchased a 2003 LS430. Was expecting library type silence from the car but disappointed by engine noise when running the car. Even my wife getting in the car for the first time said "what's that noise?" Running without any radio on. Sounds like a hum or whine. Basically silent when idling and loudest when in the 20-40 mile speed range. Doesn't really change in intensity when increasing/decreasing RPM's in that range. Strange. Just a constant steady sound. Much more quiet at highway speeds but still noticeable. Is this normal? Have no idea as I've never driven a Lexus before.
Old 08-04-13, 04:53 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be an alternator going thats a usual sound when alternator on its last legs
could also be idler pulleys and tensioners done from a bad timing belt job or it wasnt done and mileage is doing it, i am assuming its not an exhaust leak or catlylytic converter problem
Old 08-04-13, 05:15 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

more like wheel hub...
cabin is well insulated against all engine-related noises - just 'expensive' moan when you step on it...
Old 08-04-13, 06:49 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Pull your engine cover off and see if that is it. Mine will rattle/hum when the car is in drive while stopped at a light, ect.
Old 08-04-13, 07:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Engine on my car at any normal speed under any normal RPM except during relatively high rev acceleration is almost completely silent. If you can hear the engine at 20-40mph something is wrong.

Maybe an exhaust leak?
Old 08-04-13, 09:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is pretty darn quiet, nothing as you allude to. did you notice it when you bought the car? Did you mention it to the previouse owner?
Old 08-05-13, 05:56 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shouldn't hear any noise
Old 08-05-13, 06:02 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I would say it should be pretty quiet. Caught the wife trying to start it a couple of times, when it was already started. Can't even hear it on my 02 LS... not a peep from inside the car.
Old 08-05-13, 08:04 AM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Okay well that concerns me then.

I bought from a Lexus dealer late Saturday and only drove it essentially in a large circle on the surrounding roads with the salesmen in the car. So maybe a few miles at most. Driving home Saturday after purchase noticed the noise and like I noted even my wife commented when getting in the car for the first time on Sunday morning.

Had an hour drive into work this morning on mostly highway but a fair bit of stop and go roads also so had a real good opportunity to hear things. Finally at the end of my ride I figured out what it sounds most like: Like a transmission that is stuck in a gear or trying to shift into the next gear. That kind of sound. Not real loud or obnoxious but a smilar type of sound. I don't feel like it's not changing gears, in fact I don't feel hardly any shifting of gears when I drive. Very smooth. And the rpms are usually sub 2, about 1.5, at 30-45 mph.

Just that constant sound that doesn't seem to get really louder the faster I go but just a range from being quiet at idle to the noise from around 20 mph and up but seems the loudest around 45 but probably because I'm not competing with the wind noise I hear when doing 60 plus on the highway.
Old 08-05-13, 08:37 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

have you got your cooled seats on? cooled seat electric airpumps generate cabin noise that can be described as you do. but it's not loud.
is it road dependant?
can you stop car in a quiet place, pop the hood, turn a/c on, and try to find similar sound there? as you say it's in idle as well - does that mean with vehicle stopped?
my guesses at THIS point would be:
a) alternator bearing on the way out (kinda high-ish pitched whine at idle and any speeds, and it can be loud under load);
b) power steering pump (but lexus uses pretty reliable pump design, unless the belt is out of alignment or smthng and shaft gets 'rocked', this will wear the bearing -> same kind of noise);
c) one of the radiator fans (with a/c on both should be on, and you can try to hear the faulty one by ear - had one go out on mine, LOUD whine when stopped... this bastard is also expensive - 200usd for just a motor);
d) transmission related whine (i won't even go there at this moment);
e) some silly 'new lexus driver' thing (rear a/c fans noise, cooled seats fans, blower motor).
Old 08-05-13, 09:46 AM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lyn.

To clarify I noted it is quiet when idling. Just start to hear the noise when driving and doesn't really get any louder as I accelerate. I'm hearing while driving with the radio and a/c off. Didn't test with the cool seats off but this noise seems to be too loud to be coming from that but I'll give it a go. Can't test with hood up as I only hear it when driving. Not road dependent (Another whole set of noises with the different paved surfaces! I assume that's the tires)
Old 08-05-13, 09:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

so if you increase the RPM's while parked, with the hood up, you don't hear anything? Is that right? Just trying to isolate it.... if this is the case, then probably not belt, idler or pulley... just my guess. Then it has to be something active while the vehicle is in motion... transmission, wheels, bearings.. u joint....
Old 08-05-13, 09:56 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

yup, that should sum it up. drivetrain noise suspected...
Old 08-05-13, 12:25 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Mine will vibrate at times from the back left corner of the engine cover while in "D" with my foot on the brake. It is whisper quiet at all other times. When I googled it I saw that a hum or rattle from the engine while stopped is not unprecendented from other Lexus vehicles, but not necessarily from the 430. When I posted about it here the advice I got was to check the pcv valve (its good) and to change the transmission fluid. Neither my 400 or 470 do this.

Last edited by midwest2; 08-05-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 02:14 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would diagnose by getting up to the noise producing speed and shift into Neutral. Let the engine fall off to idle and then press the gas to get the RPMs up through 2000 and 3000 while still in Neutral. So, you are isolating engine RPM from driven speed. What is the noise doing?
If engine RPM is not changing the noise you have a drivetrain issue. Might be tire noise, wheel bearing, drive shaft...
If from a dealer, some tires are really noisy, your 430 should be extremely quiet so you will hear many more noise contributers than a Civic or other car that is not a 430.
At highway speed wind becomes a large contributor so you might not hear the tires or other source as much. Does not mean it has gone away.

Quick Reply: 2003 LS430 - How should the engine sound from inside the car?