LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Old 12-19-14, 02:52 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
If you are paying for it the oem is not worth it whatsoever. Not at $1000 or more. If anything, pay attention to the gaps at the top sides of the windshield. This is where wind noise is created and swirls around when on the highway. My 3rd windshield is the most quiet because I asked the installer to look for and fill these gaps.
mine is super super quiet now. I think they did a good job of filling. My chrome trim just came today. I'll find a new installer to re-do it. They never charged me. Do I need a new rain gel pad or whatever since it's not working now?
Old 12-19-14, 04:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
mine is super super quiet now. I think they did a good job of filling. My chrome trim just came today. I'll find a new installer to re-do it. They never charged me. Do I need a new rain gel pad or whatever since it's not working now?
Yes, a new rain sensor gel pad should be installed with the windshield. Mine came with the window.
Old 12-19-14, 04:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I got a small crack in my windshield on my 05 LS430 UL last week. Is it possible to fill in the crack on our windshields or will I need a new windshield?
Old 12-19-14, 06:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

For the most part no. You cannot repair. If it is very small they can fill it and maybe it won't spread. If you have comprehensive your insurance company usually offers a free repair.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-19-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 06:09 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting thread. I have a friend who works at Toyota Parts, and he wrote this about windshields a couple of years ago.

I truly believed aftermarket windshields were even ¼ the quality of a Toyota one.
Toyota rejects 7 out of 10 windshields presented to them for quality reasons….maybe that explains the prices.

Does this mean that everyone should shell out a grand on windshield? Probably not. However, hopefully it gives you insight as to why their costs are so high. Now, there are some very good non-OEM windshields too- PPG comes to mind, I am sure there are others. I see a lot of these in Toyotas. But Safelite and Binswanger are garbage IMO and I would not dare put in those brands.

I am glad you are pleased Lav, as long as you are fine with the top part, that's all that matters.
Old 12-22-14, 07:28 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I have the OEM molding. As mentioned I have had to do this twice now.
Old 12-22-14, 11:46 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arcteryx
This is interesting thread. I have a friend who works at Toyota Parts, and he wrote this about windshields a couple of years ago.

I truly believed aftermarket windshields were even ¼ the quality of a Toyota one.
Toyota rejects 7 out of 10 windshields presented to them for quality reasons….maybe that explains the prices.

Does this mean that everyone should shell out a grand on windshield? Probably not. However, hopefully it gives you insight as to why their costs are so high. Now, there are some very good non-OEM windshields too- PPG comes to mind, I am sure there are others. I see a lot of these in Toyotas. But Safelite and Binswanger are garbage IMO and I would not dare put in those brands.

I am glad you are pleased Lav, as long as you are fine with the top part, that's all that matters.
I really have trouble believing that. If a car company was rejecting 70% of what a manufacturer was supplying them with, they'd find a new company to partner with. It would honestly speak poorly of Toyota to even work with a company that had so many problems supplying them with windshields that they had to reject. And a supplier wouldn't want to work with a company that had such a high rejection rate, it would be costing them far too much.

Almost all of the issues here with the Pilkington concerns something that I would consider fairly trivial, like the cosmetic molding not having a chrome strip.
Old 12-22-14, 12:16 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coulter
I really have trouble believing that. If a car company was rejecting 70% of what a manufacturer was supplying them with, they'd find a new company to partner with. It would honestly speak poorly of Toyota to even work with a company that had so many problems supplying them with windshields that they had to reject. And a supplier wouldn't want to work with a company that had such a high rejection rate, it would be costing them far too much.

Almost all of the issues here with the Pilkington concerns something that I would consider fairly trivial, like the cosmetic molding not having a chrome strip.
I think the takeaway isn't that their quality is poor, it's that their standard is so high. Even at a high rate of rejection, some company would want that contract from Mr T, there is too much money at stake. Like everything online, one must decide if they believe what they read. I know my source is very reputable though and have no reason to doubt him. I will be the first to admit I don't make windshields for a living and don't know all that is involved. I do know what you are saying though and I had similar thoughts when I first read it about such a high failure rate.

Speaking of quality, I went to the Tundra/Tacoma factory 2 weeks ago in San Antonio. the tour guide said that every person on the line has the right to stop the entire line if there is a quality concern. Amazing, but that is what they said. In lieu of the recalls over the last 7+ years, I have no reason to believe they are lying. Pretty neat.
Old 12-22-14, 02:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

"Mr. Johnson, we cannot believe you stopped the entire assembly line because you saw an ant on a hood. Do you know how much money you have cost the company? Please clean out your locker and turn in your badge to security!"
Old 12-22-14, 02:09 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

HAHA, Totally agree. Having the authority to do that vs the gumption to do that are totally different.
Old 12-22-14, 04:11 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yes, a new rain sensor gel pad should be installed with the windshield. Mine came with the window.
So one should've come with mine too right? I also got Pilkington. I wonder why it's not working. I looked up the price of a rain sensor on Sewell Lexus and it's a little over $200. Am I looking at the right part? That seems too high. Or do I just need the rain sensor tape? I'm so confused!!
Old 12-22-14, 04:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Correct. Just the tape or gel pad. Whatever you want to call it. Not your whole sensor.
Old 01-04-16, 02:06 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lavrishevo do you have an information what number from pilkington catalouge has this windshield? I am looking for pilkington in Europe but without results. There is only green not solar. Yours is solar, right?
Old 01-04-16, 06:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure Owczar. I would contact them directly and see if they can recommend someone locally. Yes the Pilkington is solar but the tint is slightly different color then OEM. PPG is also another option.

http://www.pilkington.com/en/us/contacts/automotive
Old 01-04-16, 07:58 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Toyota OEM glass has a beige/brown tint. Pilkington has a light green tint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went with Pilkington glass