LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 02:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It is funny how perceptive we are with these cars, though how many people are on forums for their cars anyway. I could think of an analogy for the black strip but I am in the plus column lately for stupid comments. Thanks for the tip, if i ever need a windshield the black looks ok.
Old 08-03-13, 02:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That is funny. It is not as pretty as oem I agree. But it looks fine to me. Not having a little chrome right there does not bother me. Honestly, with how quiet the car is and with the stereo off the wind noise was getting annoying. But I'm like that. I can't stand creaking and vibrations as I cruise. Drives me crazy.
Old 08-16-13, 07:55 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am one oft heCL memebers that used the black goop on the underside of the OEM weather strip. Worked like a charm. I would Get the factory one back on and do that. I dunno, I think the missing Chrome takes a little something away from your car. Beautiful interior by the way!
Old 12-14-14, 12:05 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default chrome strip

can they install the chrome strip on top of the windshield after it has been replaced? I just had mine installed and noticed it's all black now which is a bummer.
Old 12-14-14, 06:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aypues
can they install the chrome strip on top of the windshield after it has been replaced? I just had mine installed and noticed it's all black now which is a bummer.
No, not properly.
Old 12-14-14, 08:49 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
No, not properly.
Damn. F it. I'll fix it on my next windshield.
Old 12-15-14, 07:35 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
No, not properly.
I'd make them do it over and do it right. Shouldn't have to live with something until you have another windshield replacement. You'll see that thing every time you get in the car.
Old 12-15-14, 01:11 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I'd make them do it over and do it right. Shouldn't have to live with something until you have another windshield replacement. You'll see that thing every time you get in the car.
so I just buy the chrome strip and tell them to redo it with the strip?

Last edited by aypues; 12-16-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 06:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Little more info in this thread. I had to do my window again because it was cracked by a pickup truck kicking up a rock.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...dshield-1.html
Old 12-16-14, 12:10 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
so I just buy the chrome strip and tell them to redo it with the strip?
You shouldn't have to buy the chrome strip. They should be responsible for using OEM stips and installing them. Otherwise they might even try to just silicone the gap or use putty! Tell your insurance company that they have done a bad job and you want them to do it right, that's why you have insurance to start with.
Old 12-16-14, 08:21 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You shouldn't have to buy the chrome strip. They should be responsible for using OEM stips and installing them. Otherwise they might even try to just silicone the gap or use putty! Tell your insurance company that they have done a bad job and you want them to do it right, that's why you have insurance to start with.
I don't have any specific glass endorsement on my insurance, it's not required in CA. I do have a low deductible of $250 but the entire cost of the job is about $200 so it doesn't make sense to use the insurance for this repair.

Update: my rain sensor is not working either! They are just going to refund my money and I'll have it fixed elsewhere.
Old 12-18-14, 02:42 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had a few windshields replaced on my '01. Pilkington is my preferred non-OEM glass. However, there is a difference in appearance in the tint/tone comparing the OEM Lexus brand windshield on my '06 vs. the Pilkington glass side-by-side. And, my rain sensor doesn't work with the Pilkington.
Old 12-18-14, 02:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
I've had a few windshields replaced on my '01. Pilkington is my preferred non-OEM glass. However, there is a difference in appearance in the tint/tone comparing the OEM Lexus brand windshield on my '06 vs. the Pilkington glass side-by-side. And, my rain sensor doesn't work with the Pilkington.
Your rain sensor should work. Mine works with both of my replacements perfect. You are right, the tint is more to the brown side. The OEM was green or blueish I can't remember.
Old 12-18-14, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience with replacing your windshield. I'd of course prefer to stay with the OEM windshield but sounds like the alternatives are way less expensive. Glad to hear that alternative glass will preserve rain sensor function - that is one of the things I love about the LS - the rain sensor on my car works flawlessly.
Old 12-18-14, 07:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

If you are paying for it the oem is not worth it whatsoever. Not at $1000 or more. If anything, pay attention to the gaps at the top sides of the windshield. This is where wind noise is created and swirls around when on the highway. My 3rd windshield is the most quiet because I asked the installer to look for and fill these gaps.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-18-14 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Went with Pilkington glass