LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hide a smart key?

Old 07-28-13, 06:18 PM
TomShea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hide a smart key?

I would like to hide a smart key somewhere under my 04 LS-430. I have always felt that it was a nice way to avoid the potential pitfalls of losing or not having a functional key. I'm wondering if there is a way to block the radio signals from the key that would otherwise allow opening of the doors and operating the vehicle. I was thinking of wrapping it in some foil to block the Rf signals. Is there a special container or some thing else that I am not aware of? Is there some reason that I should consider some other form of lost/malfunctioning key alternative?
Old 07-28-13, 07:27 PM
joerogan
Rookie

Use the valet key. It doesn't contain smart key functions.
Old 07-28-13, 09:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

car thieves know all of the good hiding places.
Old 07-29-13, 03:58 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Carry the wallet key in your wallet: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/2744.html

I've carried mine everyday for 23 years and have used it maybe twice - and that was only for convenience so I wouldn't have to go back into the house and get my key.
Old 07-29-13, 04:33 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

that fits right into the wallet?
Old 07-29-13, 09:34 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not tried it but would the key transmit without the battery in the key? You'd just locate a key in the hidden spot and put the battery in the coin holder or other location inside.
Old 07-30-13, 11:53 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A++++++ for the wallet key. I love mine. Esp when I dont want to carry my keys... just lock em in the car and your set.
Old 07-30-13, 08:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkyda
I have not tried it but would the key transmit without the battery in the key? You'd just locate a key in the hidden spot and put the battery in the coin holder or other location inside.
Great idea if you want to hide the whole key and fob. But it might be better to just get a metal spare key cut and hide it on the car.

You could get a good solid small waterproof container from REI or some other camping goods store, put in an extra key and then use a couple of sturdy zip ties to zip tie the container under the rear of the car. Maybe to one of the sway bar links, one of the muffler hangers, or other solid mount points in the rear.
Old 07-31-13, 12:08 AM
jac430
Driver

Did you try to wrap the smart-key in aluminum foil and see if the car can detect it then?
That should screen the radio waves.

Jac
Old 08-02-13, 10:49 AM
SLLTO
Rookie

i personally dont think that aluminum foil would work and to get a container that would block radio signals would be way too expensive for consumer use...prob lost of bad things you could do with that...
Old 08-02-13, 12:11 PM
jac430
Driver

Originally Posted by SLLTO
i personally dont think that aluminum foil would work and to get a container that would block radio signals would be way too expensive for consumer use...prob lost of bad things you could do with that...
That might very well be the case, but did you try it?

Jac
Old 08-05-13, 02:40 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With smart key you can not lock the key in the car, car will unlock itself and beep at you. The problem with aluminum foil is that you really can't solder it, certainly not without a lot of work. And that makes for leaky seams. If your key is communicating with the smart electronics you will create a security problem and you will also drain the remote battery.
You can buy a blank key on EBay for $10-15 and have it cut to your car. Don't put the electronics in it. Would that allow starting? I thought you'd need the smart key interaction to drive the car. The metal key would open the door and get you out of park for towing.
Old 08-05-13, 02:49 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your purpose, I would just remove the battery from the key and keep a spare battery somewhere in the center console/glove compartment. If/when you are prepared to use that hidden smart key, just install the battery. Removing and installing the battery from the key isn't hard, so you can do it on the spot.

If you are worried about losing your last copy of a smart key, keep it somewhere safe in your house and get a wallet key as others suggested.
Old 08-05-13, 04:53 PM
SLLTO
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikevanle
For your purpose, I would just remove the battery from the key and keep a spare battery somewhere in the center console/glove compartment. If/when you are prepared to use that hidden smart key, just install the battery. Removing and installing the battery from the key isn't hard, so you can do it on the spot.

If you are worried about losing your last copy of a smart key, keep it somewhere safe in your house and get a wallet key as others suggested.
no i have not tried it just my mind at work with giving my opinion

Originally Posted by jac430
That might very well be the case, but did you try it?

Jac
be careful of storing the battery in the car for hot places. very high or low temps will deff damage any batter (more so when its not used regularly) and you could have the battery dies or even leak/explode from just leaving it in your car somewhere
Old 08-06-13, 09:26 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought the original intent of a spare key outside of the car was for an emergency caused by losing the key while at a remote area. If so, then it makes no sense to store an emergency key inside the car, as it would be locked and you couldn't get inside.

I think this leaves the wallet key as the best proposed solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hide a smart key?